You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I'm convinced, I want King Kenny as manager!

Theres too many people been playing football manager on the computer.

IF Rafa leaves, everyone assumes that any manager could do a decent job, especially with quality players such as Gerrard, Torres, Reina, Mascherano etc etc.

Bullshit. See what happened to Aimar, Ayala etc etc after Rafa left. Faded into obscurity.

Suddenly everyone will be saying that Torres/Gerrard/Carra aren't as good . Think of Gerrard or Torres playing for us, but their national team form, not their club top form. Still good, but nowhere near as good.

As much as I like Kenny, his time has passed. What Rafa brought to the club, and before him Houllier, is a level of professionalism that our club didn't have.

All this talk about restoring pride with Kenny will be in for a shock, and will probably be the first ones calling for his head when we lose the first 3 games.

Newcastle is an apt comparison IMO

I think the best option is if we get a new owner, and Rafa gets to finally spend on an even ground with Chelsea and City. Then we will be able to see what he is worth

All the critics point out to all the dross, while failing to notice that those players are the bargain basement ones.

How can a manager be called bad in the transfer market, yet have bought arguably the best striker, best keeper and defensive midfielder in the world? We even had the second best controller of the game in Alonso too.

One that turned Gerrard into a 20 goal a season player, and Carra into a top class CB

Mark my words, if Rafa leaves, these two will "suddenly" be crap too

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give it to O'Neill, grudgingly. I'm sure we'd do better under him next season than we have this year.

I'm sure we would do better under Benitez too, that's hardly praise Brownie, and as bad as our situation is, we shouldn't be looking at people like O'Neil, only the very best. Sub-standard players have played a large part in dragging us down, i don't want to have a sub standard manager too.

Guest the boy
The point made by Iantn wasn't about any specific position, that was just an example I used. It's about all these people posting "Yeah, we can sell him, him and him, and buy a really good player". Selling 3 players to buy 1 is a ridiculously naive way to manage in an ideal situation, never mind one where you don't have a pot to piss in. As we don't. A terrible squad depth, and you want to make it worse?

Maybe when Capello goes the FA should go after Alf Ramsey?

I guess I should be the one to explain it to you...

We sell Riera, Babel, Kuyt, Lucas, N'Gog, Aquilani, Insua, Skrtel Cavalieri and San Jose, giving us £40-50 million, give or take. With that money, we buy Edin Dzeko or Benzema. Ibrahimovich and Ronaldo have already gone for £80 million a piece: City, presumably, will have launched a £100 million bid for Villa. But it's okay: we have Dzeko or Benzema, potentially top players. We then play 4-4-2 with Reina, Johnson, Carragher, Kyriagos, Agger, Gerrard, Mascherano, Benayoun, Maxi, Torres and the aforementioned. A mighty 11.

Dalglish comes into manage for 12 months, and he just tells them 'go out and play'. Carragher is being groomed to assume the mantle during this time: hope he's a quick learner. We must presume he will be: the main facets of being a football manager are being able to motivate, and being able to tell your players to 'go out and play'. That's what Shankly did.

We bring Jack Hobbs back from Leicester, because he is their player of the season, and we recall Spearing and Darby. Give the local lads a chance, and hope that none of our 13 senior players get injured over the 50 game season.

It is the masterplan.

Give it to O'Neill, grudgingly. I'm sure we'd do better under him next season than we have this year.

Fair do's. I can't see much changing over 12months with bringing in O'Neill and with no investment though.

It's a shame that so many people have so little faith and belief in the King. Is it fair to question whether he'd be up to the job, due to the amount of time he's had out the game etc? Definitely.

I don't think it's fair for people to just totally dismiss him though and almost go to the lengths of ridiculing him.

I can understand people thinking that of O'Neill as I have massive doubts about him myself, but this is Kenny Daglish we're talking about here. A man who single handedly carried the weight of the club on his shoulders in the wake of Hillsborough. But yeah, you're right, it would DEFINITELY be too big for him, FFS.

Quite a few of his signings were excellent.

Looking at some of the dross we've had in recent years, I think Rafa should have been talking to Kenny about how to spot good players.

I do remember Glenn Hysen. Wasn't too impressed with him. Think he got a medal for winning the league.

I have my doubts about Dalglish returning, but having a go - even slightly - at Kenny's record at the end of the worst season since Souness' last one is a bit silly.

If Kenny was to manage us for six years and win the league three times, I'd accept a few dodgy signings - especially if he signed players like Barnes, McMahon, Beardsley and Aldo.

But things have moved on, as you say. Could Kenny do a good job on a tiny budget? He was very successful at two clubs who gave him money. At the moment, I think we probably have a transfer budget of about £5000. If Portsmouth - who are appealing again about their ban from the Europa league - get their way, and we finish 7th, then we'll probably have even less cash.

I think that after this season, we HAVE to get a new manager. But who? Who of the the top managers would want this job?

I'd love to see Kenny back as manager. I'd love to see him make us a force in the league again (and I mean winning titles - no consolidating as 4th of a big 4). And I'd hate to see it not work out.

I do laugh when people pick on certain signings to prove that a manager had faults,there was not a single team in england who would not taken a punt on hysen ,he was one of the best defenders in europe when he signed for us alas the pace of the league found him out ,he was a wothwhile gamble

well Villa are doing better than Liverpool with worse players (in every competition except Europe)

WOW, Villa are doing better than the worst Liverpool season in how long? Despite spending similar amounts of money the last few seasons. Impressive. And who is it that bought those worse players?

I'm all up for a change of manager, but MON? Fuck off!

I don't want Kenny to go anywhere near it. Too many of the things I hold dearest about the club have become tainted over the years since Number 18. The last thing I want is my one remaining hero to have his reputation diminished in any way by accepting this poisoned chalice. I'm happy with the job he's doing and I strongly suspect that so is he.

I think Kenny is in the right role already and shouldn't be manager.

If Kenny were to be manager, I would want it to be an interim thing on the assumption Rafa had gone to Juve and the ownership situation hadn't quite been resolved but was coming together.

We need new owners and they will appoint their own man. Kenny is a legend, and rightly so. He should continue in his current role and tide us over if need be, but not take the role on permanently.

Anyone saying they don't want Kenny Dalglish in the hot seat are being short sighted to the extreme, the man has a wealth of knowledge, not only about football in general but specifically Liverpool Football Club.

He has the respect of world football and knows how the game should be played, you don't lose that!

He is one of the few managers to have won the Prem, plus he knows how to deal with gobshites like the bog-eyed cunt from over the park and the alcoholic twat from up the east lancs.

Finally,

He put together the 1987-88 team, he deserves another go for that one alone.

Anyone saying they don't want Kenny Dalglish in the hot seat are being short sighted to the extreme, the man has a wealth of knowledge, not only about football in general but specifically Liverpool Football Club.

He has the respect of world football and knows how the game should be played, you don't lose that!

He is one of the few managers to have won the Prem, plus he knows how to deal with gobshites like the bog-eyed cunt from over the park and the alcoholic twat from up the east lancs.

Finally,

He put together the 1987-88 team, he deserves another go for that one alone.

Finally, some sense.

On a one or two year deal, it can't hurt that much.

Giving two goals:

1. Top Four finish

2. Start building a team capable of challenging on all fronts. Add a few good signings to what we have. LB, CB, ST. Then continue looking at the quality youngsters.

Domestic cup as a bonus.

Just to restore some pride in the club even. He'd give the players belief and Anfield would be electric for a while.

It can't really get any worse than this. We've hit rock bottom practically, so why not a bit of stability from the king.

Finally, some sense.

On a one or two year deal, it can't hurt that much.

Giving two goals:

1. Top Four finish

2. Start building a team capable of challenging on all fronts. Add a few good signings to what we have. LB, CB, ST. Then continue looking at the quality youngsters.

Domestic cup as a bonus.

Just to restore some pride in the club even. He'd give the players belief and Anfield would be electric for a while.

It can't really get any worse than this. We've hit rock bottom practically, so why not a bit of stability from the king.

Exactly,

Sometimes the very thing your searching for is right under your nose.

Oh & repped.

Guest TesticleOReilly
I guess I should be the one to explain it to you...

We sell Riera, Babel, Kuyt, Lucas, N'Gog, Aquilani, Insua, Skrtel Cavalieri and San Jose, giving us £40-50 million, give or take. With that money, we buy Edin Dzeko or Benzema. Ibrahimovich and Ronaldo have already gone for £80 million a piece: City, presumably, will have launched a £100 million bid for Villa. But it's okay: we have Dzeko or Benzema, potentially top players. We then play 4-4-2 with Reina, Johnson, Carragher, Kyriagos, Agger, Gerrard, Mascherano, Benayoun, Maxi, Torres and the aforementioned. A mighty 11.

Dalglish comes into manage for 12 months, and he just tells them 'go out and play'. Carragher is being groomed to assume the mantle during this time: hope he's a quick learner. We must presume he will be: the main facets of being a football manager are being able to motivate, and being able to tell your players to 'go out and play'. That's what Shankly did.

We bring Jack Hobbs back from Leicester, because he is their player of the season, and we recall Spearing and Darby. Give the local lads a chance, and hope that none of our 13 senior players get injured over the 50 game season.

It is the masterplan.

I guess I should be the one to explain why you're a bell-end:

You've just sold the members of our squad with any experience. Our squad now consists of, in your words, Reina, Johnson, Carragher, Kyriagos, Agger, Gerrard, Mascherano, Benayoun, Maxi, Torres and the aforementioned Dzeko or Benzema. A mighty 11.

Now, just to show you know the square root of fuck all, Jack Hobbs is a Leicester player. They bought him. He's not on loan. So we'll bring back just Spearing and Darby, then.

Carragher gets injured. Who'd you replace him with? Darby? A RB? OK. Masch gets injured or, more likely, picks up a 3 match ban for being a gobshite. Spearing comes in? He picks up an injury in his first game, who'd you bring on, since you've already sold Lucas. And again, it goes on, and on, and on ... get back on yer XBox.

the main facets of being a football manager are being able to motivate, and being able to tell your players to 'go out and play'. That's what Shankly did.

Fuck me ragged. Why haven't you told any other manager this little-known boot room gem? Is that all there is to it? Problem with this is you don't know what Shankly did.

You've sold our squad, have no clue what players we do and don't have, have no idea what a manager does, and are talking doggy poo. Shush.

WOW, Villa are doing better than the worst Liverpool season in how long? Despite spending similar amounts of money the last few seasons. Impressive. And who is it that bought those worse players?

I'm all up for a change of manager, but MON? Fuck off!

listen, i dont even want MON, i was just replying to your post about does anyone watch football apart from Liverpool, just thought it was a strange thing to say considering the league table

i should of said worse resources, look at their team on paper compared to ours he seems to get the better out of his players, and are you sure they have spent the same as us? not sayin your wrong, just didnt realise and cant think who they have bought

listen, i dont even want MON, i was just replying to your post about does anyone watch football apart from Liverpool, just thought it was a strange thing to say considering the league table

i should of said worse resources, look at their team on paper compared to ours he seems to get the better out of his players, and are you sure they have spent the same as us? not sayin your wrong, just didnt realise and cant think who they have bought

Well you've kind of proven my point, people seem to just be looking at the league table and saying MON must be a great manager so lets get him. When over the last few years yes they've actually spent more, in NET terms anyway.

I do laugh when people pick on certain signings to prove that a manager had faults,there was not a single team in england who would not taken a punt on hysen ,he was one of the best defenders in europe when he signed for us alas the pace of the league found him out ,he was a wothwhile gamble

That was my point in also mentioning Barnes, Beardsley, etc. If we say Hysen was bad (and, as I said, he did get a title medal after appearing in most of the season's games: he can't have been THAT bad), then does that mean Kenny's signings were all bad? Rafa's a genius (Torres, Alonso, Masch, etc.) or Rafa's bad (Babel, Keane, n'Gog, Kronkamp) - choose your players depending on your argument.

What this club needs is a CHAIRMAN that would give the club direction as john smith did,we are about four players short of a very good side. Maxi has shown us that good players neednt cost the earth. For fucks sake get off the managers back, the club is in an awfull mess behind the scenes, and htat needs sorting before anything else.

Aside from the fact he'd be nuts to take the job, Kenny's time at Newcastle and stint managing Celtic should be used as the reference points NOT the merits of signing Glen Hysen.

Football has moved on so much and the risk of legacy-pissing (especially with the fickle whoppers who proliferate Anfield these days) it'd be a recipe for heartbreak.