You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Next Liverpool Manager

StevieH

Hodgson, Pellegrini, Deschamps & Rijkaard for the next LFC Manager?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Hodgson, Pellegrini, Deschamps & Rijkaard for the next LFC Manager?

Depends what the contents of those meetings where surely?

It was stupid of Purslow to meet SOS in hindsight, but I dont' know why SOS couldn't apply discretion as that have done when the Union first started.

The contents of the meeting are on the union website for all to see.

It wasn't stupid for Purslow to meet with them, it was stupid of him to say some of the things he did and then try and retract them.

Proof? Or is it speculation.

Are they not both the same depending on peoples agenda.

And while I'm at it who the fuck is making all these decisions:

£5M ANFIELD OFFER FOR BOUGHERRA

LIVERPOOL have agreed to splash out £5million on Rangers stopper Madjid Bougherra.

German aces Hamburg will today submit a written offer of around £4.8m for the in-demand Algerian defender.

Now Bougherra’s final destination will hinge on crunch talks between the player and Rangers chief executive Martin Bain in the days ahead.

Express Sport has learned an agreement in principle has been struck between Bougherra’s agents and the Anfield club. The player’s representatives – acting with the full knowledge of Gers powerbroker Bain – met with a top firm of lawyers acting on behalf of Liverpool in London on Tuesday.

As a result of that meeting, the Premiership giants gave a written undertaking to pay a fee of £5m and meet the 27-year-old’s wage demands.

On Wednesday, Cologne-based agent Andreas Mueller met with Hamburg president Bernd Hoffmann to discuss a rival bid from the German outfit. Hoffman discussed the plan with his fellow board of directors last night and a formal offer is expected to be presented to the Bougherra delegation today.

Agent Mueller confirmed: “I spoke with Martin Bain at Rangers to make sure that everything was being done with their knowledge.

“For us it was important that Rangers were aware of talks and informed every step of the way. Rangers have said that they are interested in doing business if the figures are right.

“It was explained by Rangers that a fee in the region of £5.5m would be an acceptable level for them to do business and we have acted on this information.

“My company have since had a meeting with lawyers working for Liverpool and we have a document confirming they are willing to pay £5m for Bougherra.

“Hamburg are prepared to offer 5.5m euros for the player and a written offer should be with us over the weekend.

“Madjid was first of all interested in the German option, but Liverpool is a very strong club.”

Rangers have reluctantly agreed to sell Bougherra because of the profit margin and also the fact that Davie Weir, above, is expected to pen a new deal.

The sale of Bougherra might also allow Rangers to snub bids for kid defender Danny Wilson.

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Sport | Football

Well since the thread is getting derailed any comments on this:

He was at Harvard Business School with one of Hicks' sons, that's the connection.

For someone whose role wasn't supposed to be permanent, it was a bit of a surprise to see that he put himself up for election to the FA Council the other week - he failed to get on, the only Premiership nominee who failed - doesn't seem like his peers like him either.

There's actually a far far stronger connection between Purslow and Stephen Hester, the head of RBS and the man who recommended him to Hicks and Gillett. Purslow was the Head of U.K. Mergers and Acquisitions for Credit Suisse First Boston in London at a time when Hester was on the Executive Board and Chief Financial Officer at Credit Suisse Boston in London.

Hester not only recommended Purslow, but they're close friends. That's why he is on the board and that's the only connection that matters. Purslow is there because RBS wanted him there.

If Hodgson is appointed this might end up being the first season in my lifetime I fear us ending up behind the bitters before the seasons starts.

The fact I`d rather have Moyes is more than enough reason to stay clear.

I`m fuckin depressed right now, I had really hoped this summer might give me some joy when it came to football related matters.

There's actually a far far stronger connection between Purslow and Stephen Hester, the head of RBS and the man who recommended him to Hicks and Gillett. Purslow was the Head of U.K. Mergers and Acquisitions for Credit Suisse First Boston in London at a time when Hester was on the Executive Board and Chief Financial Officer at Credit Suisse Boston in London.

Hester not only recommended Purslow, but they're close friends. That's why he is on the board and that's the connection that matters.

Is that good or bad for us?

Is that good or bad for us?

I actually think it's good, mate - and it's why I'm not buying into the vitriolic campaign against him (which has been fed by people like Owen Brown by the way). It means he's not ultimately answerable to the two tw*ts (which is why he can be rude about them to journalists off the record, which he most certainly is, as well as to SOS). It also means he can put pressure on RBS in the club's interests.

Hester not only recommended Purslow, but they're close friends. That's why he is on the board and that's the only connection that matters. Purslow is there because RBS wanted him there.

Well if that was the case can you see why those that feel he is an RBS appointee are seriously pissed off with him geting involved in football matters and getting his head in on interviews at every opportunity, I know I don't need to remind you of a famous Shankly quote.

Who would your choice be to takeover as the next Manager of Liverpool FC if the following managers were all available and within budget, and why?

* Roy Hodgson

* Didier Deschamps

* Frank Rijkaard

* Manuel Pellegrini

There is one stand out candidate there who I would welcome with open arms with Rijkaard the second choice

Frightening 65% of those voted would have Pellegrini over a La Liga winner and a manager who took a nothing club to a CL final and has won a title for a club for the first time in 18 years. Pellegrini has won SFA

Now I am not saying that people know nothing about football on this site but if this was a court case this certaintly would be strong evidence for the prosecution.

Edited by Red Nick

Guest PurpleNose
Frightening 65% of those voted would have Pellegrini over a La Liga winner and a manager who took a nothing club to a CL final and has won a title for a club for the first time in 18 years. Pellegrini has won SFA

Now I am not saying that people know nothing about football on this site but if this was a court case this certaintly would be strong evidence for the prosecution.

Frightening that you can use this as an argument against Pellegrini.

Second bit, incorrect.

Now I am not saying that people know nothing at football but if this was a court case this certaintly would be strong evidence for the prosecution.

I'd argue the complete opposite, to me this shows people here look beyond the trophies and instead scrutinise the records and playing styles a manager would bring.

Deschamps won a league title in a league that is painfully weak, where the team at the top of the pile are happy to take on Houllier, Le Guen and even Perrin after he failed at Pompey. A reasonably organised side in France can shoot up the table in a single season. I think he's a good coach, but Kuyt had a great scoring record in Holland as well, it doesn't mean it'll translate to success in the Prem.

I'd be happy with any of the above, bar Hodgson, but it is far from being cut and dried. Pellegrini took Villareal from humble roots to punching far above their weight whilst playing attractive football. He also managed to gain Madrid their record points tally and hold together a profoundly uneven team of egotistical twats that weren't his signings and were only beaten to the title by a Barca side that looked nigh on unstoppable.

Rijkaard is a fair shout, but with his inability to get Gala, with perhaps the best squad in their league, to the title and some may feel he isn't a better option than Pellegrini.

In short, trophies aren't everything, even Roy has a few of them from other leagues.

Depends what the contents of those meetings where surely?

It was stupid of Purslow to meet SOS in hindsight, but I dont' know why SOS couldn't apply discretion as that have done when the Union first started.

What's your game here? You've seen the Union minutes - you've seen the Purslow version of the minutes. What are you talking about "depends what the contents of those meetins were"?

Are you saying Purslow was telling the truth and the Union were lying?

Your posts are confusing me.

I actually think it's good, mate - and it's why I'm not buying into the vitriolic campaign against him (which has been fed by people like Owen Brown by the way). It means he's not ultimately answerable to the two tw*ts (which is why he can be rude about them to journalists off the record, which he most certainly is, as well as to SOS). It also means he can put pressure on RBS in the club's interests.

Sorry mate - that's a load of shite. The SOS meeting conditions were agreed well before and it was agreed that everything was on the record and would be recorded, agreed then passed on to the members.

Do stop talking shite please.