You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Next Liverpool Manager

StevieH

Hodgson, Pellegrini, Deschamps & Rijkaard for the next LFC Manager?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. Hodgson, Pellegrini, Deschamps & Rijkaard for the next LFC Manager?

I think we need to find the equivolent of Wenger

When he initially arrived he won the league a couple of times on the bounce, essentially building on a solid back four with maybe three/four new players

Thats a similar situation to us now - we presently have a good spine - Reina - Mascher - Gerrard - Torres, but we need either

a) A manager to get more out of the players we hve

b) A manager who can bring in effective players - not necessarily expensive/glamour players, but players who get the job done

Wenger was at Grampus 8, so he was completely left field - that what I think we need to look for (not sure how)

Rafa biggest mistake was his inability to build a team. He bought great players, he bought good players, he bought average players and he bought terrible players. But only during the CL runs of 2005 and 2007 and during the last 4 months of last season did we ever have a team. Thats what was so sad

We could also go for an up an coming manager - ie a new Jose Mourinho, I cant think of any in the UK

Perhaps Claude Puel at Lyon, L Blanc at Bordeaux or Jorge at Benfica. All winners in their second tier leagues and maybe capable of that transition to the big time.

I am not all doom and gloom about change. I think we should always remeber we have been down much further than this before and albeit success seems far away, perhaps a new manager could even galvanise the current crop of players - albeit short term

If going by the current financial hiatus the club finds itself in, I would not be averse to taking a younger cheaper option. Someone, who has shown promise at club level with a hunger to take the next step up at a larger club. It would be a risk, but you can say our current situation affords us the leverage to take such a risk on an up and coming manager. Barcelona in recent times have taken calculated risks in Riikard and Pep Guardiola, granted with much better squads to work with but it can also equally be said with much more to lose as well. Madrid on the other hand have tended to focus on established candidates in recent times, and conversely hasn't really worked for them.

A Michael Laudrup, Blanc or a Billic would come under that profile imo. Gives them an opportunity to develop and make there mark and also work under lesser pressure, as fans would probably lower there own expectations and be a bit more realistic (hopefully).

Financially, it would be easier on the club from a contract point and the terms offered would put the club in a stronger position.

Whoever takes the job before the club is sold is probably a dead man walking if/when the yanks sell up, unless they are very successful in the short term. I doubt we will be shopping off the top shelf until the club's sale is sorted. Someone who would take a rolling contract and believes they can get the most out of the squad we have with some minor tweaks is most likely.

I'd probably go for someone like Michael laudrup. He's had a bright start in management and plays football the right way, both as a player and as a coach. My only worries are his relative lack of experience at a big club and the fact that he's got form for resigning after a season or two.

I would claim its the opposite.

I dont want Hodgson either, Fulham are awful away from home.

Guest The Big Green Bastard

Don't want foreign. It will be another case of 'learning' what it takes to manage in the PL, which will mean a few more miserable seasons.

We should really be looking at british managers especially the Scots (they do seem to make good managers)

Guest Numero Veinticinco
People actually would be happy with Hodgson?

I have to say, I'm surprised by the positive reaction of some. It isn't that they are wrong about him being a decent manager - he is solid and dependable - which is nice but not enough for me. However, he isn't going to be able to build a legacy here at the age of 62, in my opinion.

I am sick of Rafa crying it in to the press as I am sre quite a few others are on here. You got given the most one-sided contract in history last year both in length and power yet your still moaning.

Look at the class and humility Zola has showed since Gold and Sullivan have come in. They have gone blatantly out of their way to undermine him the second they walked through the door. He hasn't constantly bitched and moaned about it.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Don't want foreign. It will be another case of 'learning' what it takes to manage in the PL, which will mean a few more miserable seasons.

We should really be looking at british managers especially the Scots (they do seem to make good managers)

Mourinho and Wenger didn't seem to have much problem. I want proven quality over arbitrary nationality.

I am sick of Rafa crying it in to the press as I am sre quite a few others are on here. You got given the most one-sided contract in history last year both in length and power yet your still moaning.

What's the point of greater transfer power if he doesn't have any funds to use it?

What's the point of greater transfer power if he doesn't have any funds to use it?

At Valencia, Rafa said: I asked for a table and the bought me a lampshade. At Liverpool, he's recently had to sell one of the chairs to get a table.

I pity the sorry bastard who ends up managing our team next season if these conditions don't change this transfer window.

Th conditions changed.

I take it that means he was promised money, but it never materialised, going on paying debt instead.

Agreed, and have thought the same for ages. That's why I can never figure out why people are saying 'he knew what he was getting into when he signed the deal.' If things changed then he obviously didn't.

Despite what's happened this season I still feel sad that's it's probably Rafa's last day at Anfield too. It just sucks that things didn't work out, especially after the way we finished last season and the hope we had.

You know that for definite do you?

I don't know anything. I've just observed our spending level and concluded that it's likely that we'll have to sell to buy this summer, again. Do you know anything on the contrary? Are new, rich owners coming in anytime soon?

I don't know anything. I've just observed our spending level and concluded that it's likely that we'll have to sell to buy this summer, again. Do you know anything on the contrary? Are new, rich owners coming in anytime soon?

I think your conclusion can be considered very close to being correct by any reasonable person.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Then go somewhere else (RAWK).

I think he has a point, mate. This 'cunt' and 'fat Spanish waiter' stuff is not becoming of our fan base. It has been frustrating as hell this season, but the personal abuse needs to be knocked on the head, in my opinion.

It is really sad to be a fan of this club in this day and age. You come on a website called THE LIVERPOOL WAY, yet all people do is disrespect the current manager?? Strange....

So what do you expect? - we are about to finish SEVENTH and have witnessed a season of dire football - that is not the Liverpool Way either. It is sad to want Chelsea to win today, but 4m a year Rafa needs to take some heat for that.

Do you think either are better managers than Rafa?

I think both would have done a better job than Rafa this season. Rafa is probably the better manager as a whole but its all gone stale for him here. He just doesn't seem to have any impact on the players anymore and I think he's made too many bad decisions int he transfer market recently.

Whoever is in charge next season, as supporters we will have to drastically change our opinion/perception of what constitutes a good season.

I think the situation over the next few seasons will require someone who's willing to get down and dirty and grind out results with average players, until the stadium gets built and the owners (whoever they may be) start investing in the squad again.

The core of Rafa`s team is not average-far from it.The tactics and minimal levels of fitness are open to deserved critisism, and if somebody can get us back to the pass and move mode that we`ve lost under the last two managers then we`ll see a vast improvement to our on-field ailments.

It does`nt need a big name to achieve this!!