You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Under 25 rule

Remmie

I've noticed more and more supermarkets are adopting this frankly ridiculous under 25 policy for purchasing alcohol and presumably fags. The under 21 policy at least has some basic logic, but I see absolutely no reason for upping this limit to 25. How many 17 year olds look over 21? Is there such a bad problem of underage kids drinking alcohol they bought from supermarkets that adopt ONLY an under 21 policy?

Methinks more sinister tactics are afoot, surreptitiously attempting to encourage ID to be applied for and carried around.

Why don't they ask for IDs?
They do, but some of us don't carry our passports to the Supermarket.

To clarify, if you look under 25 the participating supermarkets want to ID you. Well, I am a youthful looking 28 year old so I get asked quite a lot. I resent requiring ID when I am 10 years over the legal drinking age. It's a ridiculous and baffling policy.

It seems to be an extension of the Under 21 policy which was more understandable as those in their middle and late teens can look 18, yet very few pass as over 21.

I fell foul of this bastard policy the other day. I'm now 26, but look about 23. I was going to a barbecue so needed to go to Tesco in order to buy some beer. Anyhow I took with me my pink, photocard driving license, just in case. I'd taken it face down from the cupboard in which I keep that, my passport and bank cards.

In I go where I get my beer. I get to the til, with a woman of about thirty sat on the till. She's wearing a badge with the under 25 policy, and prompty asks me for ID due to said policy.

No problem, I thought, reaching into my pocket for my driving license. I hand it over and she takes it in both hands. But as I look at her bemused expression i realised that I'd accidentally given her the incorrect ID.

What I had infact given her was a novelty, Mr Men, Mr Tickle, Tickle license. This was given to me a few months ago as a novelty present by a female friend of mine. It looks identical to a UK driving license on the back with all the relevant codes and strips, and is set up on the front in the same style as a driving license. Of course present on said license is a picture of Senor Tickle with his wobbly hands, and the words 'License to Tickle'.

Slightly panicky and embarrassed, with a queue of customers behind me I snatched it back, with the even more embarrassing words: "SHIT, THAT'S MY TICKLE LICENSE".

Red faced i search my pockets for other ID, which I did not have. I told her I would be going back to her. Having returned home and picked up my license, i later got the beer.

Very fucking embarrassing.

I too am 28 and have fell foul of this frankly ridiculous policy. Was in Asda preparing for a bbq. Had about 4 cases of lager 2 bottles of vodka, brandy and archers (for MrsBitch) plus all the food probably about £150 worth of gear.

Anyway I loaded the conveyor up and the old dear sat in chair then asked me the ridiculous question 'any ID love'.

'No. No ID. I'm 28, born july 1980.'

'Can't serve you then.'

Rather than fuck around arguing with her I left her and her conveyor full of gear, I think she expected me to take it all back for her.

Stupid shit policy where old people have no concept of peoples age and common sense once again doesnt prevail.

God dam my youthful good looks.

Haha, I need a licence to tickle!

The supermarkets are just giving themselves a bigger margin for error and I don't see a problem with it. They aren't going to want to be hit with massive fines and lose their licences are they?

Most people carry ID with them anyway as I don't know many people who don't drive or people who only carry cash around with no cards. I do think they should use a bit more common sense though. If someone is doing the big shop which includes a few bottles of wine and they pay by credit card then that should be a pretty big give away that they're over 18, but if they have no photo ID they can be refused.

Refusing someone who's just buying a bottle of cider and is paying in cash is a different matter, but a bit of common sense wouldn't go amiss. It's not the employees fault though, they're just doing what they're told and rather than face losing their job or a massive fine, it's a lot easier for them to just refuse to serve you.

I fell foul of this bastard policy the other day. I'm now 26, but look about 23. I was going to a barbecue so needed to go to Tesco in order to buy some beer. Anyhow I took with me my pink, photocard driving license, just in case. I'd taken it face down from the cupboard in which I keep that, my passport and bank cards.

In I go where I get my beer. I get to the til, with a woman of about thirty sat on the till. She's wearing a badge with the under 25 policy, and prompty asks me for ID due to said policy.

No problem, I thought, reaching into my pocket for my driving license. I hand it over and she takes it in both hands. But as I look at her bemused expression i realised that I'd accidentally given her the incorrect ID.

What I had infact given her was a novelty, Mr Men, Mr Tickle, Tickle license. This was given to me a few months ago as a novelty present by a female friend of mine. It looks identical to a UK driving license on the back with all the relevant codes and strips, and is set up on the front in the same style as a driving license. Of course present on said license is a picture of Senor Tickle with his wobbly hands, and the words 'License to Tickle'.

Slightly panicky and embarrassed, with a queue of customers behind me I snatched it back, with the even more embarrassing words: "SHIT, THAT'S MY TICKLE LICENSE".

Red faced i search my pockets for other ID, which I did not have. I told her I would be going back to her. Having returned home and picked up my license, i later got the beer.

Very fucking embarrassing.

:lol:

Not as embarrassing as a guy I served, I had just serve someone who I had to ask for ID, he come up with some brooze & said jokingly asked do you want to see some ID, so playing along I said yes he showed me his driving licence I look at it & brusted out laughing he said what I know the photo is old but I don't look that bad???... Me: No but you've seem to have regressed in age & changed sex overnight!! for some reason he had his wifes one! (she's 10 younger) exit one embarrassed 50 something.

I almost fell foul of this the other day. I was buying a bottle of wine in Sainsbury's and the girl who had to 'authorise' me on the self-checkout came up and stared me straight in the face, before telling me that she would "let you have it this time, but when the policy comes in on 15 July you'll have to have ID", as I look about 23, apparently.

I was made up. I'm thirty fucking three.

(She was at least 10 years younger than me.)

You moaning bastards. I wish I was young enough to be asked for ID. Nothing makes you feel worse than standing in a queue to get into a bar, and there's about 30 people in front of you who all get asked for ID. You get to the front and the doorman takes one look at you and says "Go on love, you're okay".

I went in to Asda to buy cigs. I don't even smoke, my mum asked me to pick them up for her. I was with my mates. Each of us were 21 at that point. Asked for cigs, the woman says "Do you have ID?" I was slightly annoyed but fair enough. Showed her ID. Then she goes "Do your friends have ID?"

I say "What difference does that make?"

"You could be buying them for one of them"

"So? I'm of legal age to buy them, what I do with them once I own them is nothing to do with you."

"I need to see their ID."

So I go over to my mates and see if they have ID, surprise surprise one of them doesn't. So the bitch doesn't sell me the cigs!

She said that Asda can be held liable if I take the cigs and give them to a kid! WTF?

That could apply to ANYONE buying ANYTHING in ANY STORE!

I could go in all by myself and buy booze, then take it outside and give it to a toddler. Are they gonna ask every person what they intend to do with the items?

How on earth can Asda be fined because I bought something and then gave it to someone underage? Can someone please explain that to me?

I went in to Asda to buy cigs. I don't even smoke, my mum asked me to pick them up for her. I was with my mates. Each of us were 21 at that point. Asked for cigs, the woman says "Do you have ID?" I was slightly annoyed but fair enough. Showed her ID. Then she goes "Do your friends have ID?"

I say "What difference does that make?"

"You could be buying them for one of them"

"So? I'm of legal age to buy them, what I do with them once I own them is nothing to do with you."

"I need to see their ID."

So I go over to my mates and see if they have ID, surprise surprise one of them doesn't. So the bitch doesn't sell me the cigs!

She said that Asda can be held liable if I take the cigs and give them to a kid! WTF?

That could apply to ANYONE buying ANYTHING in ANY STORE!

I could go in all by myself and buy booze, then take it outside and give it to a toddler. Are they gonna ask every person what they intend to do with the items?

How on earth can Asda be fined because I bought something and then gave it to someone underage? Can someone please explain that to me?

Yea, that is stupid. Same if a man goes in and buys a 4 pack of lager but he has his 16 year old daughter with him - if the daughter has no ID they can refuse to serve him as he may be buying the booze for her. It's ridiculous. Even if he is, he's perfectly entitled to do so if she drinks it at home.

The same stupid regulations and laws prevent me going into boots or superdrug, or any supermarket, and buying more than 3 packs of paracetamol in case I overdose. If I was that desperate I'd just go to more than 1 shop for fucks sake.

Driving license would do though.

But its not just that. If you are with a group of people and ONE of them doesn't have relevant ID then none of you will get served in case a bunch of 25 year olds are trying to get a 17 year old drunk. Its fucking stupid in the extreme.

Just carry your driving license around in your wallet, sorted. Although you have to when you're 20 and look about 16....

Driving license would do though.
I don't drive.

Like many have already said, a bit of common sense wouldn't go amiss. Sure I COULD be under 25, a reasonable possibility but there is no physical way I can look under 18.

It's not just the fault of the cashier's- I understand the risk involved for them and there are probably a few shithouse managers who test it using mystery shoppers. I also blame those that pressured Supermarkets into adopting this policy in the first place. Is underage drinking by those who have bought alcohol themselves that bad that huge fines are justified? I think most of the little scrotes know someone anyway. To reiterate, I think something a little more underhand may be afoot, the root cause could well be the promotion ID cards.