You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The bottom of our garden had always been a bit of a shady, dead space but finally this summer we did something about it and while it'll take until next year to sort the planting out I'm chuffed to bits with what we've got now.

From this

Posted Image

and sometimes this

Posted Image

we now have an amazing fireground and pizza oven

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Did you do so the work yourself champ?

Looks absolutely brilliant!

We moved into a house, God, 5 years ago now. And to say it needed work woukd be an understatement. Unfortunately the garden is last on our list of fixes while we address the actual house. But id love to do something like that.

I can take no credit for this, aside from letting him go ahead with his flight of fantasy but if anyone did want to investigate doing something similar this is where the kit came from

http://www.vitcas.com/wood-fired-bread-pizza-ovens

And, would you believe/it will come as no surprise but there is even a pizza oven forum which he used for advice.

We used a builder to do most of the construction but they had never done anything like it before and pretty much just followed Mr C's instructions

• Upvote 2

The bottom of our garden had always been a bit of a shady, dead space but finally this summer we did something about it and while it'll take until next year to sort the planting out I'm chuffed to bits with what we've got now.

From this

Posted Image

and sometimes this

Posted Image

we now have an amazing fireground and pizza oven

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks better in first photos! A bit sterile for a garden for me.

Not meaning to be rude Cath,but I think a nice garden should have a bit of colour and plants.

Looks better in first photos! A bit sterile for a garden for me.

Not meaning to be rude Cath,but I think a nice garden should have a bit of colour and plants.

I agree it does looks like a bit like that in those pictures because it is a big space and we dont have a table yet but be assured the only thing we have lost is some soggy grass and there is/will be loads of plants around the edges. Watch this space

The only thing that bothers me about the garden design is that the pizza oven is at a 45 degree angle where the rest of the garden is very orthogonal.

I've failed students for that sort of thing. The only right angle is 90 degrees.

Overall I'll give it an A- though....well done.

I post this shit almost daily on facebook, but our newest property in Merida is about a month away from completion, and elements of the garden are starting to take shape.

The spiral staircase to the roof terrace is a big part of the design, and the narrow garden to the casita is very simple (no 45 degree angles on my watch).

Bogainvillea will climb all over the black metal terrace structure and brick walls.IMG_0747_zpss79v1rnh.jpg

IMG_0762_zpswvmhmxts.jpg

IMG_0773_zpsesziacik.jpg

IMG_0760_zpsox7mbnnk.jpg

• Upvote 1

The Craig Revill Horwood of garden design...

The only opinion that counts

I have no idea who that is, but thanks.

You know what you need around that fence line ? Some nice tall grasses (miscanthus sinensis).

It would really help hide the bulk of the fence and bring some softness and height to balance all the hard surfaces of the patio.

oh - almost forgot to mention this bad boy we bought earlier in the month.

it will have a small pump/bubbler to become the central water feature of the small garden by the spiral stair.

from the inside dining room, you will look out onto a very zen-like garden with this and a few nice pots on a grey beach pebble ground.

IMG_0626_zpsohnq4mby.jpg

I have no idea who that is, but thanks.

You know what you need around that fence line ? Some nice tall grasses (miscanthus sinensis).

It would really help hide the bulk of the fence and bring some softness and height to balance all the hard surfaces of the patio.

Liverpool Lad'll tell you...*

As I said, what you see is basically the old planting. You're absolutely right about softening the fence but may go for something more permanent than grasses. We're thinking we may put an arbour style, seat in the middle of that border with a brick path and then clematis growing up and over it. We've got the winter to think it over

*its a Strictly Come Dancing reference

• 1 month later...

Gone a bit cold, dark and shit for gardening so I stuck a couple of avocado pits in a jar with water a couple of weeks ago. They only gone and started to grow a root and a plant out of the top.

I have them on my window sill and can't believe how these are growing. Loving it. Just stuck a couple of cocktail sticks into them and submerged half in water and half out of the water. Not sure what to do with them once the root gets to the bottom of the glass though. Gonna read up on it.