You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Obama

JRD7

Isnt more that the Republicans have stopped him passing laws. They'll stop anything with his name attached,even if they agree with it

Think so yeah, that seems to be the score. David Simon talks about it in one of his interviews, says he's hamstrung because the game is rigged. Shows you who wields the real power in the world doesn't it? Not 'the leader of the free world', but the congressmen who are bought and paid for. 

Think so yeah, that seems to be the score. David Simon talks about it in one of his interviews, says he's hamstrung because the game is rigged. Shows you who wields the real power in the world doesn't it? Not 'the leader of the free world', but the congressmen who are bought and paid for. 

He's bought and paid for too. Let's not forget that.

• Upvote 1

I've always thought along those lines but watching last nights episode left me in no doubt about it. The struggle he had to get people who cant afford just the minimal amount of healthcare was staggering. I fully expected the congressmen to be dead set against it but to see other working class Americans out on the streets campaigning against it was a real surprise. Typical case of 'I'm alright Jack, fuck everyone else'.

• 4 years later...

How to Make this Moment the Turning Point for Real Change

Moreover, it’s important for us to understand which levels of government have the biggest impact on our criminal justice system and police practices. When we think about politics, a lot of us focus only on the presidency and the federal government. And yes, we should be fighting to make sure that we have a president, a Congress, a U.S. Justice Department, and a federal judiciary that actually recognize the ongoing, corrosive role that racism plays in our society and want to do something about it. But the elected officials who matter most in reforming police departments and the criminal justice system work at the state and local levels.

33 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

How to Make this Moment the Turning Point for Real Change

Moreover, it’s important for us to understand which levels of government have the biggest impact on our criminal justice system and police practices. When we think about politics, a lot of us focus only on the presidency and the federal government. And yes, we should be fighting to make sure that we have a president, a Congress, a U.S. Justice Department, and a federal judiciary that actually recognize the ongoing, corrosive role that racism plays in our society and want to do something about it. But the elected officials who matter most in reforming police departments and the criminal justice system work at the state and local levels.

I think the entire philosophy of the way the American policing system works is wrong, it seems to be based on the use of force to bring obedience. Might is right, do as you're told or else. That's how you'd treat people if you were occupying them, not policing their communities.  

I think the police over here are largely shite and I'd only ever call them for a crime number so I could make an insurance claim (and they'e probably agree with me that that would be the only point) but they're (at least in theory) run along the lines of community policing and engagement, policing by consent rather than swarming on streets in numbers with guns and boots, you only really saw shit like that in the 80s, in inner cities or in Northern Ireland. 

Also, why is it so complicated over there? Apparently there are almost 18,000 law enforcement agencies over there, from Sheriff departments and state troopers, to city police and federal agencies. That's got to cause problems surely when it comes to things like, for instance, insisting on basic levels of intelligence, education or fitness. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Also, why is it so complicated over there? Apparently there are almost 18,000 law enforcement agencies over there, from Sheriff departments and state troopers, to city police and federal agencies. 

It is a long history of growth/adding on to existing forces and funding. It is hard to comprehend exactly how big of an area we are talking about as well.

The principal divides are between cities or incorporated areas that have tax revenue to support their own police forces - as well as fire departments. Their coverage is the boundaries of their "locale"

Most unincorporated land (that doesn't generate alot of tax revenue) is handled by Sheriiffs - they can cover, and have jurisdiction over multiple "locales". Many of these also rely on volunteer fire departments for that reason.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...