You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it looks like all the Valencia players want to play for Liverpool

-

Every Valencia player is good enough to play for Liverpool, according to their midfielder Vicente.

The 27-year-old has reacted to the rumours linking David Silva with a summer transfer to Anfield, with the flying winger believed to be on The Reds’ radar.

Vicente is not jealous of his partner, but the Spaniard has declared that Los Che are all competitive players that could make the grade in The Premier League if they were given the chance.

Valencia have been the victims of the economic crisis and the Primera Liga side may be forced into selling high-profile players during the next transfer window.

“Silva is an important player, anyway every Valencia player is good enough to play his football there [in Liverpool],” Vicente said.

“They are a good team, but we are as well.

“What we [Valencia’s players] should do is play and remain focused on the present time.”

The attacker is determined win his place back in the Spain side, and he said: “Every footballer has the ambition of being back with the national team.

“As far as I am concerned, I would be delighted but I understand that there is huge competition.”

http://www.setanta.com/uk/Articles/Football/2009/03/26/Prem-Vicente-on-Liverpool/gnid-45903/

I'd rather N'gog provide the 16m cheaper airshots.

That's ridiculous though isn't it? There is no way N'gog is anywhere near as good as Keane (who was our 2nd top scorer).

I'm not getting into this debate again but i'm sure there are people who would find an valis reason for Benitez turning up in a manc top and volleying Torres in the bollocks. Although justifying leaving us with one quality forward for our first title runin cos we've been LINKED with a decent wide player is a corker.

Nor was the Liverpool FC version of Robbie Keane, although I am inclined to agree that we should have replaced him.

No point going over all this again but players have dips in form and it's important to remember he was still our 2nd top scorer. Like you say, i could possibly understand it if he brought someone else in who could have improved us but there is now way Keane is worse than Babel, N'gog and probably even Kuyt up front. Bearing in mind this is our first proper title run in for ages.

No point going over all this again but players have dips in form and it's important to remember he was still our 2nd top scorer. Like you say, i could possibly understand it if he brought someone else in who could have improved us but there is now way Keane is worse than Babel, N'gog and probably even Kuyt up front. Bearing in mind this is our first proper title run in for ages.

But you will....

I thought Silva can play a number of attacking positions, am I wrong? If we still had Keane on the bench losing millions by the month we wouldnt be easily able to afford Silva.

If it's not that simple please tell me why dear Cain.

He's played in all positions in the 3 in a 4231.

One? Dirk has played better up front this season than Keane. It's two. I doubt we would win the league if Keane (or Dirk) was upfront on his own anyway. Bahhhhh, old arguement.

i dont agree with that Keane is a much better forward than Kuyt. Kuyt played up there for two seasons when he first signed and never scored as many as Keane did in a weaker team. He just isn't very effective up front and i dont think many people see him as a quality forward.

Anyway, old argument and i dont suppose we'll know how good or bad a decision it was until the end of the season.

i dont agree with that Keane is a much better forward than Kuyt. Kuyt played up there for two seasons when he first signed and never scored as many as Keane did in a weaker team. He just isn't very effective up front and i dont think many people see him as a quality forward.

Anyway, old argument and i dont suppose we'll know how good or bad a decision it was until the end of the season.

It's easier to score loads of goals with a weaker team, Benitel. Clubs don't often play us and try to out score us... they try to park the bus.

Scoring goals against a club who has parked the bus is more difficult than scoring against a club who is trying to actually beat you.

Which is why we fucking rape top clubs, and get embarrassed by the Stokes of the league.

One? Dirk has played better up front this season than Keane. It's two. I doubt we would win the league if Keane (or Dirk) was upfront on his own anyway. Bahhhhh, old arguement.

Kuyt has been pretty bollocks up front on his own. He's shown some good stuff out on the right though.

as long as we get a ring wing improvement as well then buying Silva can only make us stronger imo

i'd take Joaquin as well if Valencia wanted to sell

£30m for the pair would be a decent price imo

Joaquin has gone downhill fast. Plus there's no way rafa would want him if its true what ballague said about him.

It's easier to score loads of goals with a weaker team, Benitel. Clubs don't often play us and try to out score us... they try to park the bus.

Scoring goals against a club who has parked the bus is more difficult than scoring against a club who is trying to actually beat you.

Which is why we fucking rape top clubs, and get embarrassed by the Stokes of the league.

How come it's always forwards at the top teams who top the scoring charts then?

I do sort of see your point though however Keane had scored the same amount as Kuyt with far less time on the pitch at the time he was sold.

Right, i really do need to go to ASDA now. Everyone sure they're alright for milk?

kuyt is better for rafa. Any other manager in the prem would take keane over kuyt. It is not a criticism of kuyt or rafa just how i see it.

That's a speculative statement. But if its about playing RM then yes i'd definitely take kuyt over keane anyday and i think many other clubs would as well. Because that is where kuyt plays the majority of the time.

He played primarily on the right for Spain at the Euros with Iniesta cutting in from the left.

I wasn't convinced by Silva in the Euros by the way and I'm not sure, he's what we need.

EDIT: Yet I am in some weird way happy with the link, since he's been hyped so much, I guess. I'm just one impressive youtube clip from declaring him my favourite player ever.

Edited by jackofdk

Kuyt has been pretty bollocks up front on his own. He's shown some good stuff out on the right though.

He's not been great on his own but has played better than Keane in the three postions behind Torres in our system. Also he was better than Keane in the 4-4-2 upfront with Torres. Keane up front on his own played well in a few games. Best got rid of and use the money more wisely.

Let's move on.

That is it in a nutshell for me and exactly what I was going to say if Zig hadn't beaten me to the punch. Its not that I don't like Silva, he is a decent little player, its just that he isn't a significant improvement on Benayoun and isn't what we need as top priority in my view.

Albiol is a player that I really like, but we are well stocked on the defensive/holding midfield/jack of all trades type of a player.

In terms of style of play the right side is a bit limited, but if you look at it from a production stand point, Yossi and Kuyt match up far better than what we have on the left (probably 20 goals and 10 assists between them). There are still huge question marks over Babel and Riera is known for going missing for large parts of a season. To me that means we DO need to look at improving there.

At the end of the day where we improve will be as much down to which players are available as our desire to fill a certain position. Silva would be a good call, yes he is, Benayoun with a little more quality, but then it is that little bit more quality that makes the difference against the teams that park the bus. I watched a few Valencia games last night and Silva has played on the right a few times, while this new kid Mata was playing on the left. He looks interesting and is probably closer to our price range, because as we know if any of the top tier teams go in for Silva, then that's probably us done.

BTW The reference to Silva and Turin is almost correct, apparently his agent is in Turin to speak with Moratti, it sounds like a cold call though, so we'll have to see how that plays out. But you got to imagine with the complete failures of Mancini and Quaresma that they will be looking at someone like Silva.