You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

A year from now this statement might seem silly, but I'm not at all convinced that Silva would do better for us than Downing.

We can only base this on what both players have done and are doing*. Silva looks like a far better player, and I would like far better players at the club.

* I've probably only seen Silva play 10 times

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a direct comparison, I would take Silva over Downing on any given day, but it seems pointless to see this as a choice between one or the other. I don't think clubs (clubs that operate effectively, at least) have a list of players that they go down systematically, moving on to the next player if they can't get the one above them.

I think it much more likely that 3 or 4 players are identified as being suitable targets for a given role, and that some exploratory work is done on all of them at pretty much the same time. Any interest we may have in Downing does not, to my mind, indicate that we have given up on Silva, or anybody else (there have been equally good/bad sources indicating that we had serious interest in Silva over the past week or so).

It just means that Downing and Silva are both players identified as 'suitable'. Silva may well be the 'no.1 target' (personally, I hope that he is), but there is so much uncertainty around securing a player, particularly one who other clubs will also be interested in, that it makes no sense to wait until you have a definitive answer on him joining the club before pursuing other targets. A certain amount of groundwork surely has to be done on a number of players at the same time, even though you only want to sign one of them. If you don't, you risk losing out on all of your list of 'suitable' players.

So, the reported interest in Downing doesn't really worry me and I certainly don't see it as a sign that we have 'given up' on other players who I personally would rather see join the club.

If we do end up with Downing, I will, of course, be hoping against hope that he is a better player than I have him down to be.

Rashid // Of course you are allowed to question or criticise the manager. But I don't think it's fair to criticise him for the players we are linked to. How do you know that Rafa really are interested in Downing? Last year the papers, such as the Echo, said that we were intresded in Forlan, was that really true?

I don't rate Downing at all, but if we buy him I will give him a chanse. The same goes with Silva (IMO he is overrated) and Milner.

I remember how much Rashid hated Crouch when we were signing him and now he is almost taking blow jobs from him. So typical...

He is still not good enough to start for Liverpool and I stand by that. He is now where I thought he would be, about to be sold. I like him now as he has done OK and I feel deserved to be on the bench ahead of the likes of Voronin. I am not bothered that he is being sold and in hindsight I still wouldn't have bought him.

Liverpool linked with another limited footballer shocker. I'm praying we're not gonna buy downing i really am. We seem to be just going for work horses rather than guys with talent and skill on the ball. You can hardly play quick one touch football with players like downing and milner. We're more going the chelsea way of just being work horses that grind the team down over the course of the game.

Liverpool linked with another limited footballer shocker. I'm praying we're not gonna buy downing i really am. We seem to be just going for work horses rather than guys with talent and skill on the ball. You can hardly play quick one touch football with players like downing and milner. We're more going the chelsea way of just being work horses that grind the team down over the course of the game.

I agree your point with Milner , but feel that Downing has far more to him than a 'workhorse'.

The thing I like about him is that his first thought when receiving the ball is to go forward , and usually with pace. He also has a decent cross on him & scores a fair amount of goals for a winger. Did Capello not say that he has surprised him more than anybody else in his first 4 squads ?

My main worry with Downing is that I like the 4 2 3 1 set up & see him more as a wide man than a wing forward.

he's really crap.

Sorry , just don't agree , and the 3 England managers he's played for presumably don't either. ( Or for that matter Steve Finnan who is still unsure where he went at Anfield when he scored )

He's not world-class , but he's not 'crap'

Guest Woolfall

english managers haven't got a clue.

he's probably do well under rafa like but it will just be another chase to cement 3rd or 4th.

I agree your point with Milner , but feel that Downing has far more to him than a 'workhorse'.

The thing I like about him is that his first thought when receiving the ball is to go forward , and usually with pace. He also has a decent cross on him & scores a fair amount of goals for a winger. Did Capello not say that he has surprised him more than anybody else in his first 4 squads ?

My main worry with Downing is that I like the 4 2 3 1 set up & see him more as a wide man than a wing forward.

If Capello rates him so highly then why doesn't he start for england then? Most games he's a sub so he can't think he's that great.

I'm not saying he can't put in a good cross and doesn't have a bit of a shot on him. I'm just saying he's a bit limited in that you know what you're gonna get from him and nothing more. We desperately need a player that can change the game and do something special. Someone who has great movement and a superb touch on the ball. Downing isn't always that comfortable on the ball either and likes giving it a HOOF from time to time. Plus why do we need him when we have babel there already?

If Capello rates him so highly then why doesn't he start for england then? Most games he's a sub so he can't think he's that great.

I'm not saying he can't put in a good cross and doesn't have a bit of a shot on him. I'm just saying he's a bit limited in that you know what you're gonna get from him and nothing more. We desperately need a player that can change the game and do something special. Someone who has great movement and a superb touch on the ball. Downing isn't always that comfortable on the ball either and likes giving it a HOOF from time to time. Plus why do we need him when we have babel there already?

I seem to remember Downing doing exactly that at Anfield last season.

If his name was Stuardo Downingdo and his hair was gay, then you'd all be begging Rafa to sign him for £25m. And thats a fact.

:whistle:

Downing is good. Hes an international. If he was a spanish international people would be delighted with his signing. I would be happy to see him here, he is a good improvement on what we have for wingers atm.

Downing is good. Hes an international. If he was a spanish international people would be delighted with his signing. I would be happy to see him here, he is a good improvement on what we have for wingers atm.

I'm still a fan of Downing. He always plays well against us (that used to be a major factor when the likes of Paisley and Shankly were weighing up potential signings) and I don't think too many of our current squad have managed three assists in a single international match before.

I'm still a fan of Downing. He always plays well against us (that used to be a major factor when the likes of Paisley and Shankly were weighing up potential signings) and I don't think too many of our current squad have managed three assists in a single international match before.

I said a while ago that I'd be happy with Downing. He's always done well against us and I don't really see those bad games.

I know there was massive buzz about him earlier in his career when he broke though and I think he's just stagnated at Boro.

I said a while ago that I'd be happy with Downing. He's always done well against us and I don't really see those bad games.

I know there was massive buzz about him earlier in his career when he broke though and I think he's just stagnated at Boro.

Would certainly see a lot more of the ball playing for us, so should help him grow as a player.