You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

F.A.O Male GFers - Would you .... ?

briefs

Would you ... ?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Would you ... ?

Male 'contraceptive jab' closer

A male contraceptive jab could be as effective at preventing pregnancies as the female pill or condoms, work shows.

The monthly testosterone injection works by temporarily blocking sperm production and could revolutionise birth control, experts believe.

In trials in China only one man in 100 fathered a child while on the injections, the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism reports.

Six months after stopping the jabs the men's sperm counts returned to normal.

Family planning campaigners welcomed the news and said they hoped an injection would give couples more choice and enable men to take a greater share of the responsibility for contraception.

"At the moment the onus is on the woman and men do not have that much choice" - Fertility expert Mr Laurence Shaw

But experts said more trials were needed to check the safety of the jab.

Previous attempts to develop an effective and convenient male contraceptive have encountered problems over reliability and side effects, such as mood swings and a lowered sex drive.

Despite the injection having no serious side effects, almost a third of the 1,045 men in the two-and-a-half year trial did not complete it and no reason was given for this.

Lead researcher Dr Yi-Qun Gu, from the National Research Institute for Family Planning in Beijing, China, said: "For couples who cannot, or prefer not to use only female-orientated contraception, options have been limited to vasectomy, condom and withdrawal.

"Our study shows a male hormonal contraceptive regimen may be a potential, novel and workable alternative."

He said if further tests proved successful the treatment could become widely available in five years from now.

Mr Laurence Shaw, of the London Bridge Fertility Centre and the British Fertility Society, said: "If a male contraceptive like this became available it would be great and would give people another choice.

"It would empower men to make a decision which involves more than just a condom. At the moment the onus is on the woman and men do not have that much choice.

"But we have been here before with testosterone as a method of contraception. We need more rigorous safety testing."

He said in trials, the female Pill was still more effective as a contraceptive than the new jab, but that in real life they might be comparable because it is easier to forget to take a pill.

A spokeswoman from Marie Stopes International said: "This is a very positive step forward. The more range of contraceptives there are, the better.

"But if this does become available men should still remember that it will not protect them against sexually transmitted infections and they should still use a condom."

Rebecca Findlay of the Family Planning Association said: "In the past fpa has asked men if they would use hormonal contraception, and a third gave a definite yes they would.

"More research is needed to make sure that any new method is safe and effective, but men will welcome the continued search to give them more control over their fertility and sexual health."

Bloody brilliant idea if you ask me, although this ....

Despite the injection having no serious side effects, almost a third of the 1,045 men in the two-and-a-half year trial did not complete it and no reason was given for this.

... doesn't fill me with much confidence that a lot of men could be trusted (or would be willing) to keep getting the jabs for a long period of time :whistle:

FAO Female GFers - Would you believe a man who'd told you he'd had it?

They asked the question on the news earlier. All the woman said there was no chance. I laughed heartily.

My point exactly SKI. I think it's a great idea up to the point where you have to believe that they've actually done it. Then the plan falls apart.

In a long term relationship I think it would be much easier, but on anything less than a few months I would struggle being comfortable with it.

Men probably have the same problems too though. There are likely to be some nutty women out there who will tell guys they are on the pill etc, when they actually aren't.

I once went out with a girl who, upon me breaking up with her, told me she was pregnant despite being on the pill. She said these things happen and it was obviously just that 1% of bad fortune. The fact that we'd not had sex for months seemed irrelevant.

I think there is definitely the possibilty of women being lied to and ending up with children the don't want.

No pun intended.

That works both ways, but I take your point that men would the more likely to abuse it.

Another point to add is that if weren't sure of the other party you should use a condom anyway.

I would. However, who could be arsed with the palaver of going to see the fucking quack once a month to have it administered? They need to come up with a better method of delivery. Have they considered pies?

They should be compulsory for chavs. Collect your methadone, dole, and sterilisation jab on the same trip.

Back when I worked for the Employment Service (now Department for Work & Pensions) we had a national staff suggestion scheme. I sent one in proposing that we replace the "air curtain" heaters over the Jobcentre doors with irradiation units linked to buttons under the desks. With a simple and discreet press of that button, whole bloodlines of the terminally shiftless, the small percentage that will never engage with, or contribute to society could be eliminated by cheap and painless sterilisation. In my defence, I was having a bad morning.

Oddly, I never heard back from them.

As for the original question, I would but since I don't have a regular partner I'd still bag it anyway - pregnancy isn't the only issue. With a steady partner I would, no problem at all.

Edited by RoboRiise

Back when I worked for the Employment Service (now Department for Work & Pensions) we had a national staff suggestion scheme. I sent one in proposing that we replace the "air curtain" heaters over the Jobcentre doors with irradiation units linked to buttons under the desks. With a simple and discreet press of that button, whole bloodlines of the terminally shiftless, the small percentage that will never engage with, or contribute to society could be eliminated by cheap and painless sterilisation. In my defence, I was having a bad morning.

Oddly, I never heard back from them.

As for the original question, I would but since I don't have a regular partner I'd still bag it anyway - pregnancy isn't the only issue. With a steady partner I would, no problem at all.

I suggested 'naked Thursdays' for our office.

Despite getting a mention in the management team meetings minutes, they never took my proposal seriously.