You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mauro Zarate

Megadrive Man

Not sure if he's been mentioned yet as a possible transfer target.

Lazio are expected to sign him but nothings been confirmed, ourselves and Manchester City have also been linked on Sky Sports News.

I'd pretty much forgotten about him, but he's done well on loan at Lazio and looked like a good prospect at Birmingham. He's only 22 and seems versatile enough to play as a striker or as a wide forward. He wouldn't come cheap but wouldn't cost as much as Silva or Ribery.

Liverpool - Liverpool: Zarate Race Is On!

Zarate Race Is On!

Lazio forward Mauro Zarate is the latest player to be linked with a summer switch to Anfield. The Argentinian who now plys his trade with Italian club Lazio (on loan from Qatarian side Al Sadd) has previous experience playing in the Premierleague after he endured a short spell at Birmingham City where he scored 4 goals in 14 appearances for the Midlands club.

Zarate has been in a rich vein of goalscoring form for Lazio this season, notching 12 goals in 31 appearances so far in Serie A and has also reportedly attracted the interest of Premierleague rivals Manchester City.

Zarate's agent, and brother, has acknowleged interest in his client, when speaking to Calciomercato he said;

'I can not say what which clubs, I can only say that two Italians, two Spaniards, two British and one German,'

Liverpool have previously been linked with an interest in the 22 year old this season so a move may not be as far out of the question as people may think.

He's a striker though isn't he?

Got a good free kick as well.

Didnt pay much attention to him when he was in the premiership, although i seem to remember frequent threads on here about him.

What are the figures being quoted?

Think they are quite high. Nothing less than £15m I guess.

We could have taken him on loan this season for £1.5m. I was really disappointed we didn't, as he is a very talented player, and it would have been a pretty low cost risk if he didn't impress. He has all the attributes to succeed in the Premiership. Pace, skill, intelligence, did really well for Birmingham for the second half of last season. He is versatile aswell, can play on the right side of attack, or upfront with another forward. Would be a very good option in the role Dirk currently occupies in a 4-2-3-1.

From what I've read, I think his club Al Sadd want €14m from Lazio, so that's about £11m. Not a bad price, and he is still only young, but it's a hard one to call. I've not seen too much of Lazio this season, just the short highlights of their games (MOTD style). I wouldn't be disappointed if we signed him.

Prefer his brother Morgan myself:

Morgan Zarate on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

(This post has been brought to you by GF on the *F Productions, Inc.)

His Dad Carlos was even better.

[YOUTUBE]0EJvypF7aMU[/YOUTUBE]

(This post has also been brought to you by GF on the *F Productions, Inc.)