You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bring in Mikey Owen in January

JoeyKop

in fairness he would be a good signing for Villa, little expectation/pressure and a thin squad

He would be, but for Owen himself it depends on how desperate he is to play for England again, because unlike O'Neill or Redknapp, Capello doesn't want the 'old' Owen back. Capello, like Benitez, would want Owen to adapt his game, improve his movement off the ball, do more for the team and tolerate being 'rested' or used from the bench. So if he's as England mad as his critics suggest, he won't necessarily see a move to Villa as his best bet.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fail to see how Michael Owen playing excellently for his club (potentially us), in order to play for England, is possibly a bad thing for that repective club???

I fucking hate England, but if that's Michael Owen's driver and motivator to get him banging in a goal every other game, then who gives fucking fuck, you fucking fucks?

He won't sign for Villa.

At least not in January.

He might do in the summer if they've qualified for the CL, but there's no way on earth he's going miss out on champions league football again, not at the tail end of his career. This could be his last ever big move don't forget. He won't want another Newcastle debacle on his CV.

Aye. Can't see Rafa signing him. And, as Rebel pointed out above, I can see the media jumping on "Owen for England" and "Why is Owen not starting at Liverpool?" at every single opportunity. Or everytime Torres fails to score.

Thanks for posting what you know mate.

I suppose then one of the questions is. Has Owen learned anything the past few years about putting club before country.? Lets face it, its the reason he's at Newcastle.

Has he realised that if he wants to end his career on some sort of high, he'd be better to take the JC approach and tell England to fuck off.

Hypothetical I know but, if Owen explained to Rafa that even if England did come knocking he'd politely decline the offer as its LFC who pay his wages. Even going as far as publicly stating he was retiring from international football. Would Rafa consider it.?

Owen has More chance of winning honors with us than England. Its about time he woke up and smelled the coffee.

That's just bollocks. Chances aren't given to you, you take them when you have the opportunity.

2 or 3 half decent performances aside, he just hasn't done that.

He's got nobody to blame but himself.

Let's not forget we paid over TEN MILLION FUCKING QUID for this lad. He's not just some "prospect", especially not after 2 seasons.

I'd personally get rid in January to the highest bidder as I don't think his attitude is right.

I'm also genuinly beginning to doubt that he even has the ability, and especially the ability to be consistent.

You baldy douche, I just repped you for talking sense in your last post on this thread but this makes even more sense so now I wish to revoke my previous rep and apply it to this post with an even heartier endorsement.

But if Torres is fit, where do you play him ?

Rafa doesn't really do 4-4-2 and Owen doesn't play off the main striker very well

We've done 4-4-2 almost everytime Torres and Keane have been fit, and we will carry on until Keane either settles in our gets shipped out. If we don't do 4-4-2 then honestly, what is point in Robbie Keane being here?

IHypothetical I know but, if Owen explained to Rafa that even if England did come knocking he'd politely decline the offer as its LFC who pay his wages. Even going as far as publicly stating he was retiring from international football. Would Rafa consider it.?

Owen has More chance of winning honors with us than England. Its about time he woke up and smelled the coffee.

Personally, I don't have any problem in a LFC player wanting to play for his national team. However, the number 1 priority should be LFC - always!

If Owen comes in, bangs in the goals, wins the England place back, I have no problems with it at all. We will benefit from his ambitions as much as he does.

However, if Owen comes in, tries to be too selfish (like not passing the ball to Torres if he is in a better position), gets frustrated if he is put on the bench, moans to the press (he is not this type but who knows) then I can see the fans as well as Rafa having a problem with his attitude.

As I said above, I really can't see Rafa buying him so all this talk is pointless I think.

I have never been calling for Owen to come back because of how he left, however if he is available for such a knock down price, and is willing to accept he won't be number one striker. It makes perfect sense to go and get him. I don't think he would be able to play more than 70% of the season which makes him perfect for rotating with Torres. Proven goalscorer and even though he has missed a month of the season so far he still has 6 goals for the barcodes. Also people having a pop at Owen for his England ambitions need to look at Gerrard's England ambitions before they have a pop at Owen for the same thing.

I like Babel and have to totally disagree with you here, if anything we have seen too few very good performances from him.

I should have worded myself better.

There is no doubt that he has not done nearly enough in his time here. But what I am saying is that we have seen a number (labeit not a high number) of very good performances that lead me to believe he could still make it and therefore I'd like to see us keep him and give him a few games up top with torres.

The problem is, everyone at the club is pushing for this to happen, which will make Rafa less likely to go for it. Parry wants him, which automatically makes Rafa less likely to go for it. Carragher and Gerrard would obviously love him back, which again would put Rafa off as he doesn't want to be seen to be doing something just because the players are pushing him into it. Most of all, Gillett has been desperate to get Owen in ever since he bought the club.

For these reasons, as well as any footballing ones Rafa may have, I just don't see this happening, although I hope I'm wrong because he'd be a steal and wouldn't expect huge wages or to be 'the man'.

Who would you rather have coming off the bench, Owen or N'Gog? We'll probably get Heskey on a Bosman this summer though.

I still don't get what all this is about. One thread ok, but 3 threads at the same time? What have I missed in the papers/online? Ah, and do you really think he'll come to us if Man City bid and offer better wages?

Yes. He's at a crucial stage in his career - a stage when pay is the least of his concerns. He's got an England scoring record to break, he's got a reputation to save and he has an ego to boost. He's wasted the last couple of years on a massive salary. He needs a move that makes the most sense in terms of rescuing his career.

How would people feel if he went to the Mancs? I know I'd hate the thought of them having him as when he's fit he would bang them in for fun. The people who don't want him need to ask themselves honestly, would you be happy for him to go to Man Utd as one of our main challengers?

I'd take him back in a heart beat for that money. But if Rafa doesn't want him, then that's that.

The problem is, everyone at the club is pushing for this to happen, which will make Rafa less likely to go for it. Parry wants him, which automatically makes Rafa less likely to go for it. Carragher and Gerrard would obviously love him back, which again would put Rafa off as he doesn't want to be seen to be doing something just because the players are pushing him into it. Most of all, Gillett has been desperate to get Owen in ever since he bought the club.

For these reasons, as well as any footballing ones Rafa may have, I just don't see this happening, although I hope I'm wrong because he'd be a steal and wouldn't expect huge wages or to be 'the man'.

Who would you rather have coming off the bench, Owen or N'Gog? We'll probably get Heskey on a Bosman this summer though.

Gillet has been desperate to get Owen in? I guess Jurgen must rate him.