You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Rafa really signing players with "the right mentality"?

Jens

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently not. Both Mascherano and Babel will piss on us and fuck off to the meaningless Olympics even though they are very well aware it may cost us the title. I have no words. :thumbdown

Shame you used the words you did have to post that pish.

Apparently not. Both Mascherano and Babel will piss on us and fuck off to the meaningless Olympics even though they are very well aware it may cost us the title. I have no words. :thumbdown

Abraham Lincoln's quote "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt" comes to mind

One thing that irks me at the moment is when people are describing the Olympics as "Meaningless," "Mickey Mouse," etc.

It is not meaningless, it just so happens to be the biggest sporting event on the planet, why the fuck would our players not want to be a part of it if they can be?

Surely competing in the Olympics is the greatest achievenment for any Athlete/sports personality. The Olympics is the biggest sporting event in the world and I would never begrudge a player for wanting compete in the Olympics regardless of whether or not Football should be an Olympic event. It is an event and if that is their opportunity to compete at the Olympics then fair play to them.

Some people on here really need to re-evalute their perspective on things. Players are allowed to have dreams and ambitions as well.

The Olympics is not the biggest sporting event on the planet.

It is government funded political nonsense.

If people want to pay (at the gate or on tv) to watch a sport then a professional competition will develop.

These change & evolve thru time (ie/ India gets a much larger middle class, IPL etc is created)

The Olympics is full of sports no-one gives a f.uck about: Where are the professional archery,rowing,synchronised swimming league/cups?

The biggest sporting event on the planet is the World Cup/CL or SuperBowl.

None of those require interventionist politicans to waste £15-20bn of your money on getting them here.

Pleased that your taxes are putting a velodrome in Hackney?

Mascherano already has an Olympic gold medal for football. This is the crazy thing.

And that should stop him going for more? Should someone have told Sir Steve Redgrave to quit after his first so that he would never have won Four gold medals? what about Boxers? Should someone have told Sugar Ray Leonard to retire after he won his first Belt and not bother trying for the other 4. Should Liverpool stopped at the first League Title? I think not. As long as he is fit enough to compete for a gold medal then why stop? I hope he wins another this time round and with his age it is even possible he could get another in 2012.

Go for it lads!

If people want to pay (at the gate or on tv) to watch a sport then a professional competition will develop.

These change & evolve thru time (ie/ India gets a much larger middle class, IPL etc is created)

The Olympics is full of sports no-one gives a f.uck about: Where are the professional archery,rowing,synchronised swimming league/cups?

None of those require interventionist politicans to waste £15-20bn of your money on getting them here.

What an odd standpoint. Interventionist and government funded political nonsense? Is it bollocks. Its a massive celebration of amateur and minority sports, you dont like it, millions do.

And hosting big sporting events is generally a good thing surely? Or do you wish that Anfield hadn't hosted any of the Euro 96 matches?

Edited by wiiksie

Couldn't disagree more.

Over the Summer I've been smuggly proud of the lads Rafa has bought in. Look at Lampard, Drogba, Adebayour and Ronaldo, as soon as it gets to silly season they're busy flirting with 'the big clubs' in Italy and Spain, showing complete arrogance and disregard to the clubs and fans who pay their wages.

None of our lads have said a word about moving elsewhere. Even those who are linked with moves away keep their Counsel and say nothing. Look at Reina who only got a token game in the Euros and was still leading the celebrations after every goal. I think the fact that there's not been one thread on here when a player is saying he wants to leave is testement to the fact that they have "the right mentatlity".

Couldn't disagree more.

Over the Summer I've been smuggly proud of the lads Rafa has bought in. Look at Lampard, Drogba, Adebayour and Ronaldo, as soon as it gets to silly season they're busy flirting with 'the big clubs' in Italy and Spain, showing complete arrogance and disregard to the clubs and fans who pay their wages.

None of our lads have said a word about moving elsewhere. Even those who are linked with moves away keep their Counsel and say nothing. Look at Reina who only got a token game in the Euros and was still leading the celebrations after every goal. I think the fact that there's not been one thread on here when a player is saying he wants to leave is testement to the fact that they have "the right mentatlity".

Here, Here, glad to see someone is talking sense! We have a very loyal and talented set of players at our club and Rafa is to be thanked and praised for this. How can you blame players for wanting to play for their country, in my opinion this is a great thing to see in this day and age, it shows a bit of heart. Of course I'd prefer to see them being available for the first couple of games of the season, but I certainly wouldn't begrudge any of them the chance to play for their country in the olympics.

Odd.

Considering the Olympics has the most viewers, the most athletes, the most sports, the biggest amount of countries participating in it's events and the most exposure worldwide, I don't know how you can say that.

Most people in the world want to watch it and most countries and athletes want to compete in the Olympic games.

It is a very short sighted view that says "Sports no one gives a fuck about are in there." Don't you mean, "Sports I don't give a fuck about are in there."? As that is what it boils down to.

(They don't have professional leagues because the Olympics is still mostly amateur btw, despite the influx of sports which are professional in there)

One thing that irks me at the moment is when people are describing the Olympics as "Meaningless," "Mickey Mouse," etc.

It is not meaningless, it just so happens to be the biggest sporting event on the planet, why the fuck would our players not want to be a part of it if they can be?

Hold on one minute, in footballing terms it's the Disney version of the Intertoto cup for national teams.......

It's not like; I remember Maradonna when he carried Argentina on his back on their way to an historic gold medal in the Olympics..... It's bollocks, but it provides a little entertainment to watch some of the stars of the future feature.....

And that should stop him going for more? Should someone have told Sir Steve Redgrave to quit after his first so that he would never have won Four gold medals? what about Boxers? Should someone have told Sugar Ray Leonard to retire after he won his first Belt and not bother trying for the other 4. Should Liverpool stopped at the first League Title? I think not. As long as he is fit enough to compete for a gold medal then why stop? I hope he wins another this time round and with his age it is even possible he could get another in 2012.

Go for it lads!

He's an overager, though, and Football success doesn't stop by 'declining the olympics' like your examples seem to imply.