You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Garry Barry

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

Ideally the fee would be lower for Barry, but we have to bear in mind that his contract still has a while to run, Villa have a few bob, he is their captain and he has broken into the England team and not looked out of place one bit. All of these things add up to a fee of £15-20M, much as I don't like that.

I think it is a bit of a mistake to compare the fee to Torres' fee. Clearly sometimes you do business that proves to be excellent; sometimes it's so-so and sometimes poor. Obviously Torres was an excellent bit of business but not all signings can make such impact and more than double their value in one season.

All we can hope is that Barry proves to be good business. If he helps us win some key trophies then that will do for me.

As for the potential impact on other business this summer, we should just wait and see. If we don't sign a good player for the front four then in my view we are opening ourselves up to some criticism over bringing Barry in. But it is far too early to get stuck in just yet, especially since we don't know who all our signings this summer will be.

Ive said it several times before and I'll say it again:

If our signings this summer are Degen, Dossena and Barry, then that will be a bit of a damp squib. (That's not to say we couldn't mount a good challenge, and I certainly won't be conceding anything to our rivals).

But I feel Rafa has another key signing in mind. It may come later in the window now, with Euro 2008 and the need to shift a few players off the books, but I feel there is more to come. I'm a fairly optimistic sort, but it's just how I see it. We'll have Degen, Dossena, Barry and a good signing to come for the front four.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't put my finger on it, but what exactly is the problem with signing Barry again?

Gazbasque wouldn't improve us. "He's as good if not worse than Alonso". This is just Rafas dark obsessions talking. "Quantity, quantity, quantity" (£18M means quantity, unless we're talking Torres). We need to strengthen the wings, cause Kuyt is no real winger (we want winger with chalk on their - already white - boots) and our system "is NOT 4-2-3-1 with forwards". That's also, by the way, why Villa would be a poor signing. We want Rafa to save the money from sales*, little but little, in a little piggy bank and then splash it all on one gazillion millions player (ie Quaresma).

* We'd get £10M for Carson, you know. everybody wants him, cause he's English, not just Aston Villa. And we'll get atleast £15M for Crouch. Yes. And £3M for Voronin! Meanwhile; Pennants values has risen to £8M, and Riise will probably go for £7M. Guthrie £5M bla bla bla... All and all, Rafa has £100M to spend from sales. He could buy Kaka, but he doesn't want to. Cause he's possessed, obsessed and what not.

the price is excessive but I think it is a great bit of business myself because as much as I rate alonso he has been struggling to find his best and has increasingly been caught in possession he is going to be replaced with someone who is stronger on the ball and more mobile.

then you have the set peice issue where our corners are pretty much a waste of time and our freekicks down hurt the opposition oten enough.

we claimed to have the best midfield in the world but every single time the mancs with consumate ease has controlled and dictated the pace of the game with carrick (a player many claim is rubbish) pulling the strings.

for me the issue of a winger was also a red herring you're tackling a symptom not the cause.

basically we need to press higher up the pitch, be more mobile and dominate in the middle of the park and push the fullbacks as far upfield as possible, then the likes of babel and kuyt WILL fill their boots.

so despite feeling the fee (for barry) is excessive I think this is a good bit of business which will push us closer to challenging right until april (any longer is a bonus imho).

the long and the short of it is we haven't dominated the middle of the park enough to shut out the opposition when we take the lead or push high enough in the opposition half to force the second goal.

Kuyt should only be a squad player, in the premiership he doesn't have the pace or skill required in some games, although he should defo stay we could still do with someone with a bit of quality on the right or left with babel switching over.

Kuyt should only be a squad player, in the premiership he doesn't have the pace or skill required in some games, although he should defo stay we could still do with someone with a bit of quality on the right or left with babel switching over.

what we need from our 'wide' players is to hit the back of the net its as simple as that.

barnes/houghton

they were the wide players that ripped the league apart.

so I'm not bothered about pace/creavity or whatever I just want the wide players to reach double figures in the league (each) I want the fullbacks to provide the pace and width.

for the record I think kuyt is good enough for our first team, he was in a slump and is now playing at his true level.

There comes a time when you should walk away and look elsewhere. Fifteen million would buy us a more than adequate alternative...

True, time for a take it or leave it bid, otherwise keep Xabi or get that Moutinho lad Everton are linked with... :P

There comes a time when you should walk away and look elsewhere. Fifteen million would buy us a more than adequate alternative...

That is how I see it. I am very positive to Barry too, but it has to be right. If we were talking about a deal that was worth this money with players as part of the price, then OK, but straight cash when there isn't too much about, then it isn't a good deal if you ask me.

yeah i agree mate. Gaz Baz is a good player but if Villa start asking for silly money its time to start looking around for a different option.

Theres a few alternatives available at the £15m mark surely??

what we need from our 'wide' players is to hit the back of the net its as simple as that.

barnes/houghton

they were the wide players that ripped the league apart.

so I'm not bothered about pace/creavity or whatever I just want the wide players to reach double figures in the league (each) I want the fullbacks to provide the pace and width.

for the record I think kuyt is good enough for our first team, he was in a slump and is now playing at his true level.

I'l be delighted but as equally suprised if Kuyt reaches double figures in the premiership.

I really like Barry as a player and I think he would be good for the club but Villa are making us look like cunts here. We've put in loads of incremental offers for the lad and they keep fucking us off.

We need to walk away and put that money elsewhere. Martin O'Neil is being a little cunt and I think it's a personal thing with him now. Well fuck him, he can have an unsettled player on his hands and we can sign Barry in a years time for a knock down price if need be.

if they've rejected the 15 million + add ons that was reported (if true) then we should turn our attentions elsewhere. i'm sure rafa is keen to sign barry for his experience in the premiership, but we could ge an equivalent or better in that position from abroad for that price, albeit with more risk.

or, just keep alonso, but i think rafa wants to sell him anyway. he hasn't really done enough over the past few seasons to justify many fans' desperation to keep him.

I think if this goes on for much longer barry will put in a transfer request.

What does putting in a transfer request actually mean?

He's apparently told O'Neil he wants to go, what's the difference?

Serious question like.

15 million is a fair pricve. i think we might have offered 12 or 13 plus add ons instead of player part ex. and they're probably holding out for 15 +

do you? I think we might have offered twelvty million and a sherbert dip dab

Is this the takeover thread of 2008?