You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa's Marseille

snez1

That was the game where he knew he was one defeat away from the sack, though. Hicks admitted as much.

Very true Paul, but that makes it worse in my opinion. He gave up the Reading game to save the players for Marseille - so he could save his job.

No one is bigger than the club, yet that day Benitez put himself first.

We still could have got something out of Reading away, but he gave it up.

Very true Paul, but that makes it worse in my opinion. He gave up the Reading game to save the players for Marseille - so he could save his job.

Looking at the bigger picture, would a point really have made a difference to our league standing, we were already losing touch with the top teams but the next game was a must win.

I think you would have had a valid point if the score at the time had been 1-1or 1-0 to Reading, then fair enough, but I think the game was already lost, so why take the risk of picking up an injury to either Torres or SG?

Looking at the bigger picture, would a point really have made a difference to our league standing, we were already losing touch with the top teams but the next game was a must win.

I think you would have had a valid point if the score at the time had been 1-1or 1-0 to Reading, then fair enough, but I think the game was already lost, so why take the risk of picking up an injury to either Torres or SG?

I know what you're saying, but when has it been acceptable to give up? This wasn't a great side we were playing, it was a poor Reading side that's shipped goals all season.

If we'd have got back into that game, who knows what good that would have done to the confidence of the team. As it was, once he took off our only two chances of getting back into the game, he gave up because HIS job was on the line - not for the good of the team. I find that unforgiveable, I did then and I still do now.

Doesn`t the Manager take responsibility for the fact we were on the precipice in Europe at that stage despite the fact we were drawn in a piss easy group? I think the following 3 games in Europe told us all we needed to know about the strength of our opponents. We should never have been in that position in the first place.

I think we'll muller Inter on Tuesday and go to the San Siro with a two goal lead, but that we'll still struggle to get fourth position, just like 2005.

Performances in Europe have never been the problem, but we're still suffering unacceptable defeats against Burnleys and Barnsleys and any Premiership side that really wants to beat us.

In the unlikely event that Rafa stays, I can't see the following surviving a cull for various reasons.

Riise, Kewell, Alonso, Pennant, Kuyt, Voronin, Crouch, Aurelio.

If he leaves, I can see even more being cleared out by whoever takes over.

I suppose my main concern now is that DIC take over by the summer. That's a really lame concern to have with over 3 months left in the season

I don't think it is as clear cut as that. But I do get your point.

I know what you're saying, but when has it been acceptable to give up? This wasn't a great side we were playing, it was a poor Reading side that's shipped goals all season.

If we'd have got back into that game, who knows what good that would have done to the confidence of the team. As it was, once he took off our only two chances of getting back into the game, he gave up because HIS job was on the line - not for the good of the team. I find that unforgiveable, I did then and I still do now.

Maybe Rafa made his decision in the Reading game for the good of the team and club. Perhaps he felt that the Reading game was as good as gone when he made the changes, so with the next target in mind (a much bigger target for the whole club) he acted as he did.

We'll never know if we would have sneaked a draw out of the Reading game had we gone all guns blazing for the final 20 mins. We'll also never know if that would have had an adverse affect on our chances a few days later in Europe.

What we do know is that Rafa deployed his resources as he saw fit, and a game that appeared lost was lost; and a much bigger European game (bigger for Rafa? yes - but also bigger for the players and the whole club!) was won.

Maybe Rafa made his decision in the Reading game for the good of the team and club. Perhaps he felt that the Reading game was as good as gone when he made the changes, so with the next target in mind (a much bigger target for the whole club) he acted as he did.

We'll never know if we would have sneaked a draw out of the Reading game had we gone all guns blazing for the final 20 mins. We'll also never know if that would have had an adverse affect on our chances a few days later in Europe.

What we do know is that Rafa deployed his resources as he saw fit, and a game that appeared lost was lost; and a much bigger European game (bigger for Rafa? yes - but also bigger for the players and the whole club!) was won.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Regardless of what happened in the Reading game or against Marseille, in my eyes he should never have given up on the game.

I think we'll muller Inter on Tuesday and go to the San Siro with a two goal lead, but that we'll still struggle to get fourth position, just like 2005.

Performances in Europe have never been the problem, but we're still suffering unacceptable defeats against Burnleys and Barnsleys and any Premiership side that really wants to beat us.

In the unlikely event that Rafa stays, I can't see the following surviving a cull for various reasons.

Riise, Kewell, Alonso, Pennant, Kuyt, Voronin, Crouch, Aurelio.

If he leaves, I can see even more being cleared out by whoever takes over.

I suppose my main concern now is that DIC take over by the summer. That's a really lame concern to have with over 3 months left in the season

Even if Rafa stays, then most of them will have to be shipped out and replaced anyway.

At that stage we weren't so far away from the top of the League and we had more than half a season to make up any points dropped (or "surrendered" if you prefer) to the Royals. The CL game was a must-win. That had to be the club's priority.