You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafas spending?

shouter

These are all the players I can think of that Rafa has signed who have played in the first team. I've highlighted the ones I reckon have been an unqualified success in bold.

Torres, Alonso, Reina, Pennant, Kuyt, Morientes, Zenden, Aurelio, Josemi, Nunez, Gonzalez, Crouch, Garcia, Sissoko, Carson, Kronkamp, Agger, Arbeloa, Paletta, Voronin, Benayoun, Lucas, Itandje, Leto, Hobbs, Skrtel, Insua, Barragan, Mascherano, Anderson, Idrizaj, Babel, El Zhar, that Argie centre half who he had at Balenthia.

That's 5 players who've unquestionably improved the first team from 34 I can think of. Of the rest, a few (Crouch, Garcia, Arbeloa, Benayoun, etc) have been more of a qualified success, but there has been a lot of dross - and not all of it cheap.

Lucas and Babel will prove there worth as will Skrtel IMHO

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucas and Babel will prove there worth as will Skrtel IMHO

I'm still not sure about Babel at all. Loads of Reds really rate him, but I've seen far too much on the negative side to jump on that bandwagon yet. His touch and control are weird. One minute they're sublime and then the next 45 they're appalling. He's not as fast as he's cracked up to be, either - at least not with the ball. He's scored some good goals, mind.

garcia, benayoun, sissoko, crouch, arbeloa have all been money well spent.

voronin, aurelio and zenden were all frees.

it's not as though he's been pissing money up the wall.

he's been in for villa, alves and berbatov when they were all available for considerbaly less than they would be now, and wasn't backed with the money. of his big cash buys i'd only really say we paid over the odds for pennant (although he's been okay) and kuyt.

of his big cash buys i'd only really say we paid over the odds for pennant (although he's been okay) and kuyt.

Kuyt I agree, don't quite understand what was going through Rafa's mind at the time.

Pennant for £6-7 million? Not bad for an above average premiership winger. For that price, who could you get that's better? People rave about Bentley or Downing, both of whom I'm sure would cost the same or more and are not noticeably better. Lennon and SWP are at leat double the price.

Kuyt I agree, don't quite understand what was going through Rafa's mind at the time.

Pennant for £6-7 million? Not bad for an above average premiership winger. For that price, who could you get that's better? People rave about Bentley or Downing, both of whom I'm sure would cost the same or more and are not noticeably better. Lennon and SWP are at leat double the price.

we've probably missed pennant more than most people think this season.

GH was here for about 6 years. Radahas been here 3.5 years. Here are the stats.

Rafael Benítez bought 46 players for £132,796,000

Rafael Benítez sold 47 players for £63,375,000

NET: Approx £70M = about £25M a season.

Gerard Houllier bought 40 players for £125,400,000

Gerard Houllier sold 48 players for £60,675,000

Net: Approx £65M = About £11M a season.

I would like someone to tell me the last time a Liverpool manager actually made a profit on a player??

Rafa has made around 12 million profit on Momo & Carson!

We also must remember the quality of Houlliers signing compared to Rafa's.

I know Rafa's made some mistakes in the transfer market but he is quick to get rid if it doesn't work.

I'm sure i don't have to remind you of the players G.H left us with!

IN RAFA WE TRUST

I think we paid twice the amount Babel is worth. We should have heeded the warnings when Wenger decided not to even pay the £8M Ajax were demading, yet we go in there with an £11M bid. Ajax were laughing their way to the bank.

Hang on a minute, Wenger has potentially wasted £12m on Walcott as well as the £10m he wasted on Jeffers, so he isn't always a great judge of a player.

Hang on a minute, Wenger has potentially wasted £12m on Walcott as well as the £10m he wasted on Jeffers, so he isn't always a great judge of a player.

£5M on Walcott rising to £12M if he is a success. Jeffers I'll give you but overall on NET spend, Wenger is in a different league to Rafa.

I don't trust him to make the signings we need to win the league, I will come out and say I don't think he is great in the transfer market at all.

When we signed Crouch i thought 3 million was too much let alone 7.

Who would have though we would get offers from Newcastle for 18 million and 12 from Man city.

Had the board backed Rafa with the extra 2 mil to get Danny Allves he would have shown to be a bargain compared to his valuation and Chelsea offer the following year

whats wenger won in the time Rafa's been here???

He has proved that he can win the league and challenge for it before that time. He also manages a selling club and spend far less. He has a different remit and I have never heard him moan about spending money. Whilst building a team of young players he has won a FA Cup and got to a CL final. Not that shabby I guess... and this season he is challenging for the league.

He has proved that he can win the league and challenge for it before that time. He also manages a selling club and spend far less. He has a different remit and I have never heard him moan about spending money. Whilst building a team of young players he has won a FA Cup and got to a CL final. Not that shabby I guess... and this season he is challenging for the league.

So if you think Wengers achievement of an FA cup & Euro final is good,what about Rafa's FA cup,Big Ears,Super cup,played San Paulo off the park,highest point total in prem L.

Your doubts in Rafa are Very unfair.

Where /why do you think its gone wrong in the prem tiis season ?

When 2 players are told in Oct that a new manager is coming,it kinda unsettles a team don't you think?

IN OCTOBER WE WERE STILL UNBEATEN!

Thats how Parry & the clowns run our club.

I do accept that rafa has made some blunders but i still have faith in him.

When 2 players are told in Oct that a new manager is coming,it kinda unsettles a team don't you think?

And nothing to do with the outlandish team selection againsy Pompey that started the rot?

Unbeaten yes but how many draws ?. Its all about opinions Si and your entitled to yours. For me one of the main factors behind it was Pacos departure. Its his squad now hes got to take responsibility.