You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

45 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I do wonder how he convinced Warner Bros to virtually give him unlimited funds and A list casts to build the DC Universe and given the failure of that, how he convinced Netflix to give him the money to make 2 of the most expensive movies ever made. 

Snyder’s films look good and have decent set pieces, his story’s and characters are terrible. The sci-fi Michael Bay. 

His films are shallow and flashy, but they generally make good money- https://www.the-numbers.com/person/134500401-Zack-Snyder#tab=technical&all_technical_credits=oa2

After his more recent disasters though, I doubt he'll be given such budgets again.

43 minutes ago, Mudface said:

His films are shallow and flashy, but they generally make good money- https://www.the-numbers.com/person/134500401-Zack-Snyder#tab=technical&all_technical_credits=oa2

After his more recent disasters though, I doubt he'll be given such budgets again.

Interesting. 

I’d counter that with he’s taken on projects with established characters and fan bases, so they were always likely to make money. 

How is Batman v Superman his biggest box office hit? The Snyder Cut is marginally better, it’s still, at best, below average (MARTHA !!!). 

That Owl cartoon and Sucker Punch, 2 originals (or certainly significantly less well known fan bases), both shite, both commercial flops. 

Warner Bros has wasted millions / billions giving him the keys to the DC films. They were too busy wanting to ride Marvel’s wave and make a quick buck instead of creating something good. 

James Gunn Peacemaker is absolutely miles better than anything Snyder has ever made (it’s better than all the Marvel TV shows as well).

19 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Why are some people mad on zack snyder?

I'm not sure they are, I think they're mad on DC and Snyder was the held up as the Feige of DC.

Like the console wars you have a raft of DC 'fanboys' who had to watch films based on relatively minor characters for a rival franchise become massively successful.

Snyder became the proxy for DC's success but managed to oversee a rushed ill-thought out response but they had nobody else and he managed to convince them that he was being held back from fully realising his vision hence the clamour for his directors cut (David Ayers attempted to garner a similar reaction for the Suicide Squad).

The Dawn of the Dead remake is still his best film.

24 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I'm not sure they are, I think they're mad on DC and Snyder was the held up as the Feige of DC.

Snyder is the Roy Hodgson of film makers (insert your own Owls of Ga'Hoole joke). 

David Ayer is shite as well. He’s Brendan Rodgers. 

Both  managed to spawn a jobs they were never good enough for, said they didn’t get the time & blamed others, when they had chances to improve, they just re-affirmed they were only slightly less shit. 

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Interesting. 

I’d counter that with he’s taken on projects with established characters and fan bases, so they were always likely to make money. 

How is Batman v Superman his biggest box office hit? The Snyder Cut is marginally better, it’s still, at best, below average (MARTHA !!!). 

That Owl cartoon and Sucker Punch, 2 originals (or certainly significantly less well known fan bases), both shite, both commercial flops. 

Warner Bros has wasted millions / billions giving him the keys to the DC films. They were too busy wanting to ride Marvel’s wave and make a quick buck instead of creating something good. 

James Gunn Peacemaker is absolutely miles better than anything Snyder has ever made (it’s better than all the Marvel TV shows as well).

Yeah, I think the early DC films he did were successful because superhero films were still riding the crest of the Marvel Avengers wave. Something similar happened with dross like Captain Marvel which still made bank despite being crap. That's not the case any more, people are bored of them and Disney has disappeared up its own arse trying to pander to a female audience which just isn't there.

Warning - the video below contains spoilers. Sort of. They’re kind of vague, but spoilery. 

I haven’t watched Rebel Moon Part 2, but this guy’s video popped up on my timeline and it was relatively short so I thought why not?

His ranting about slo-mo is pretty funny. He almost makes me want to watch it for comedy value. Apparently Snyder wants to make a total of six of these films.

On 19/04/2024 at 15:16, Section_31 said:

The second part of that Rebel Moon bollocks. Why are some people mad on zack snyder?

They should discuss his stuff on film and writing courses, he's an absolute tour de force in how NOT to build characters.

If he'd written the first Star Wars, instead of action interspersed by scenes and dialogue which establish character, the first half of the film would consist of all the characters sat around a table going, "who are you?", "I'm Han Solo, lovable rogue with a heart of gold. Shy who's this Darth Vader? Rumour has it he was Anakin Skywalker and is conflicted over his loyalty to the emperor and love of his son?" 

"By the way, the empire is evil."

"Yes I've heard that too."

Watchmen was boss 

After that,I'm struggling 

On 19/04/2024 at 15:16, Section_31 said:

The second part of that Rebel Moon bollocks. Why are some people mad on zack snyder?

They should discuss his stuff on film and writing courses, he's an absolute tour de force in how NOT to build characters.

If he'd written the first Star Wars, instead of action interspersed by scenes and dialogue which establish character, the first half of the film would consist of all the characters sat around a table going, "who are you?", "I'm Han Solo, lovable rogue with a heart of gold. Shy who's this Darth Vader? Rumour has it he was Anakin Skywalker and is conflicted over his loyalty to the emperor and love of his son?" 

"By the way, the empire is evil."

"Yes I've heard that too."

He's an absolute charlatan. The fact that he started talking about a Rebel Moon director's cut on the day part one came out should have had alarm bells ringing. Though alarm bells should been ringing for about twenty years now. 

Dawn of the dead was ok. I hated Watchmen.

I loves me a sci-fi film I do but that Rebel Moon 2 was a great big pile of steaming turd. Universe building my arse, not one single developed character over 2 films. No story to speak of at all. Simply awful, crikey I'd even say Battlefield Earth was better. Entire scenes of fukkin choppin wheat with big knives all collected by anti-grav carts, nonsense. Sod the spice its a sack of grain we need to fuel the cosmos or some such shite.

0 New Hopes / 9.

55 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Late Night with the Devil.

Thisnpremiered on Shudder  was looking forward to watching this as I'd seen some decent reviews and the premise was interesting enough.

It was crap, not in the least bit scary, not sure whether they played for scares, if they did they were way off.

Yeah - was very disappointing. B Movie stuff.

Poor Things

Certainly different. I preferred the early black-and-white part, very '20s German Expressionism. Stone's great, but if anything the more she spoke the more I kept thinking of Winslet's line in Extras - "You're guaranteed to get an Oscar if you play a mental." Thought Ruffalo stole the scenes the pair were in.

The whole atmosphere works well though, especially the score. 

Only real quibble would be the ending. That seemed out of character for Bella.

7.5/10

5 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

Late Night with the Devil.

Thisnpremiered on Shudder  was looking forward to watching this as I'd seen some decent reviews and the premise was interesting enough.

It was crap, not in the least bit scary, not sure whether they played for scares, if they did they were way off.

I loved it, very unique movie.

Rebel Moon 2

When it got to the point they were winnowing grain in slow motion, I figured it had to be the most expensive piss-take in movie history.

Got a bit better/less unintentionally funny, but not much.

4 of 10? Meh.

In order to restore my faith in American story-telling, I watched "No Country for Old Men" again. 

Just as good the sixth or seventh (or tenth?) time.