You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

On 18/05/2020 at 12:37, Doctor Troy said:

Two fellas I worked with about ten years ago both from Tower Hill in Kirkby, one sounded like Peter Reid and the other one sounded like Roger Moore.

Apparently they went to the same school and hated each other, the Peter Reid fella used to stick the Roger Moore fellas head in the bogs and flush it as well as robbing his dinner money.

Ha ha. I'm from Tower Hill. Never heard any Roger Moores, but met plenty of Rosa Klebbs.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Chris said:

Been an ungodly amount of this given today's news. My entire timeline is full of people trying to out "I hate the royals, me" each other.

Yep, see this kind of thing all the time, “look how much I hate paedos lad ” “ look how much I hate Tories lad” “ wish I could dig Thatcher up so I could kill her again lad”  “look how anti racist I am lad” gobshites all.

• Upvote 4

• 2 months later...

The last few times I've been on holiday and had to associate with people from the same country they seem surprised that Scousers can actually have jobs, live in a nice area of the city, aren't robbing everything and fighting everyone after a couple of drinks.

The 80s stereotype doesn't help but the people who play up to it or exaggerate their accents just reinforce it. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

The last few times I've been on holiday and had to associate with people from the same country they seem surprised that Scousers can actually have jobs, live in a nice area of the city, aren't robbing everything and fighting everyone after a couple of drinks.

The 80s stereotype doesn't help but the people who play up to it or exaggerate their accents just reinforce it. 

95% of the time the ones who slag Liverpool/Scousers off have never been to the city. The vast vast majority of people I now who have visited love the place. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

95% of the time the ones who slag Liverpool/Scousers off have never been to the city. The vast vast majority of people I now who have visited love the place. 

I was on holiday a couple of years ago and got talking to a clearly well to do older bloke from the south (red jeans / whacky socks etc that rich old blokes seem to wear).

He asked where I was from, I told him and he went ‘Christ, I was talking to a chap who said he was from Leeds earlier so there must actually be some money in the north then?’ 
It’s really off the perception some people have of the north. I’d have thought the cost of housing in the south would mean that everyone is living on beans.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Or end up coming here on stag weekends.

Before lockdown every friday at Lime Street would be an invasion of top bantz merchants and fat slags with loud woolyback accents. 

2 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Then there's the legacy of Carla Lane, who thought that the rest of the country would find dishonest, lazy scroungers charming.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Then there's the legacy of Carla Lane, who thought that the rest of the country would find dishonest, lazy scroungers charming.

Good legacy though with the animals in need shelter in Melling. 

1 hour ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Worst one I ever encountered was some dickhead cockney in Sorrento. 

Me and my Mrs were in a bar and he came with his wife and sat on the next table. Was bragging about how much money he was making as he was working on the construction of Wembley. 

Then asked what me and my wife did, then started going on about how he thought everyone signs on every Tuesday in Liverpool as he didnt think anyone worked up there. 

Carried on for a couple of minutes before we both had a go at him and told him to stop being a childish prick. His wife apologised to us and he later offered to buy us drinks but we just said we were ok and we had enough money to buy our own. 

57 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Me and my Mrs were in a bar and he came with his wife and sat on the next table. Was bragging about how much money he was making as he was working on the construction of Wembley. 

Then asked what me and my wife did, then started going on about how he thought everyone signs on every Tuesday in Liverpool as he didnt think anyone worked up there. 

Carried on for a couple of minutes before we both had a go at him and told him to stop being a childish prick. His wife apologised to us and he later offered to buy us drinks but we just said we were ok and we had enough money to buy our own. 

Nothing worse than a cocky cockney.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Know the type! Then the accusation of sense of humour failure that follows. Had that a few times as well in London over the years, though it has been mostly football piss-taking from when we were in the doldrums.

When I first left Liverpool, it was to work in Bristol, and everyone used to ask why I was there. When told it was to look for work, there was usually a confused look on their faces. Apparently, being on the dole was actually a lifestyle choice in Liverpool! 

Every Merseysider I met down south was called "Scouse" by the locals. Sadly, some played up to it and were happy to be patronised. I refused to be known as "Scouse", and now proudly go by the name of Oi Fat Cunt.

• Upvote 3