You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Monarchy

Remmie

9 hours ago, johnsusername said:

As much as the flag wavers are coming out pledging their allegiance, there's as many people fed up with the whole thing (many of whom probably weren't that strongly fed up beforehand but have now been pushed over the edge) - not to mention commonwealth countries who are seeing it as an opportunity to separate. 

I said earlier on in the thread, the death of the Queen could be the beginning of the end. 

Not a chance.

9 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

They literally did what you asked for.  But you are not going to stop people spontaneously buying flowers when the fucking Queen dies.  Who the fuck are you to tell people how they should grieve?  

He wouldn't dare tell anyone else they shouldn't buy flowers in someone's memory. Guy should take a look at all the memorials in Liverpool.

Oh, and I bet struggling florists are grateful for the extra business too.

9 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Unfortunately he’s a hate spreading racist scumbag on gb news now with a sizeable Twitter following. He’s the guy who so few as all the stories about Caroline flack who eventually killed herself then claimed he was her friend. 

The more people calling the Cunt out the better 

A large Twitter following still means fuck all to some of us,thankfully.

1 hour ago, Strontium said:

He wouldn't dare tell anyone else they shouldn't buy flowers in someone's memory.

Except that wasn’t what he said! 

It’s common practice to request flowers from immediate family only and if people want to show their appreciation they could make a donation to the deceased persons favourite charity. 

It’s what I did with Carly and all money raised went to the hospice that supported us both throughout. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

My gut feeling is that during Charles's lifetime we'll see a clear majority in favour of a republic, but the lizards won't relinquish power for a few generations after that.

We don't have to wait for them to relinquish power just hold a referendum, pass the legislation and they're out.

When they have gone, you and I will be no better off and our system of government no more efficient or stable.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, A Red said:

We don't have to wait for them to relinquish power just hold a referendum, pass the legislation and they're out.

When they have gone, you and I will be no better off and our system of government no more efficient or stable.

The monarchy has about 80% approval in most surveys. They aren’t going anywhere.  

12 minutes ago, A Red said:

"Pass the legislation", you say?

The way our "democracy" works, nothing gets enacted without Royal Assent. Because withholding of Royal Assent would spark the kind of constitutional crisis barely seen since the Civil War, no policies that could realistically be denied Royal Assent ever make it that far; in fact, the Palace gets to review any proposals that directly affect the Royal family or the Crown Estates. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55975199

Obviously, this is a drain on our system of government and our democracy would be much more... well, democratic without it.