You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Muhammad Ali

Red Mist

What a top bloke he was. I was watching his interviews with Parky on youtube, fucking hysterical stuff. What a legend Ali is. We just don't get characters like that anymore.

Fucking legend. Way more than a mere sportsman.

Agreed,. got the book as well. I am a massive Ali fan. Everything about him fascinates me, his charisma, his athletisism ( a man 6ft 2, 17stone who can fire a jab out faster than Bruce Lee, unreal), his morality, his sense of humour, his greatness. He is like the perfect human being and noone is a more fitting role model, no matter what you do you. You find me anyone out there who doesn't agree Ali was a top bloke.

I fucking love the guy but he is far from perfect in his personal life. Imagine how much you would have hated him if you were an opponent!

Who is though? Gandhi beat his wife when he was in his teens and MLK couldn't keep his dick in his pants. Overall, Ali's positives far outweigh his negative traits.

• Upvote 1

A very good Muslim also now- I dont think you can question his personal life in the last 20 years...

MLK was a hardcore pimp..

That was Malcolm X. Once he converted to Islam he was reputed to be a reformed character (according to the CIA who were digging for dirt). MLK was having affairs left, right and centre, throughout the whole of the civil rights successes.

• 11 years later...

Am I alone in thinking the bloke was a dickhead? He was a bully for a start and half of his rants and rhymes were more embarrassing than they were lyrical genius. A great fighter who occasionally spouted shit, cringeworthy poems.

A decade or two spent walking silently and slowly whilst holding other celebrities hands doesn’t mean he wasn’t a cunt.

• Downvote 1

Am I alone in thinking the bloke was a dickhead? He was a bully for a start and half of his rants and rhymes were more embarrassing than they were lyrical genius. A great fighter who occasionally spouted shit, cringeworthy poems.

A decade or two spent walking silently and slowly whilst holding other celebrities hands doesn’t mean he wasn’t a cunt.

Dickhead for sure.  And the Greatest (confidence, swagger, aesthetics, longevity, taking punishment) certainly.  Fighter.

Why bother ourselves trying to trip him up on the politic or political trimmings.  He was just a boxer.

But fuck, what a definitive anthem of the "sport".

The cunt category is swimming with other non-sporting candidates.  I'll leave him out of it for the moment.

Everything i have read on him i don't agree with being a bully. He could be viewed that way but he never felt the Frazier stuff was personal. It was all to sell the fight. Frazier did take it personal though which led to the anamosity between them. There is a great book Ghosts of Manilla. A good read but pretty sad as both came across as bitter old men.

I think he had his good & bad points like anyone else. He didn't cover himself in glory with the Joe Frazier/gorilla stuff but he was very quick witted & his poetry was perfect in its context.

Ali is probably the most iconic sportsman ever, he more than likely always will be & with good reason too.

• Upvote 1

Foreman was saying that when Ali put him down in Zaire any other boxer him included would have followed up with one on the way down finishing him. Ali stopped and backed off. That's when he knew he was great.

Watched that fight lately and kept winding back to the ko blow.  You could see the fury/intensity in Ali's face right after the punch landed and to be able to hold off from hitting Foreman again when he was on his way says a lot about him.  It's actually quite glorious

• Upvote 1