You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Why does Hollywood insist on ruining great films?

Vincent Vega

I've never seen the original but thought the Ladykillers was a decent enough little film.

The Ladykillers is a marvellous black comedy. Alec Guinness takes the acting honours but there's also an early appearance by Peter Sellers. It's classic Ealing which some will enjoy but the whimsical humour might be lost on you young pups.

The Italian Job wasn't a remake - they just stole the title and the Mini's.

One of my most despised is Get Carter with Stallone. Fuckin diabolical film.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, imo the Italian Job is a brilliant remake.

Agreed. Was VERY concerned when I heard TIJ was being remade. Thought taking the original idea but blending it with new ideas - together with a doffed hat to the original (in this case the use of the red,white and blue mini's) was definitely the way to go with remakes

Although I kinda like Teen Titans, its never been as good as the Batman TAS cartoon, or Justice League. The remake of Heman (circa 2002) was also very good.

However making Thundercats into gooddamn band is so unbelievably stupid!! WHY!! The whole back story of thundercats is made for some intelligent retelling, just like Heman was.

Transformers the movie, was and still is one of my favourite movies, I can watch it over and over, I am not hopeful about this remake.

EDIT: Why the hell is "Michael Bay" in great massive letters under the title? How big is this guys ego??? looks like a byline!

Italian Job remake was alright, however the original is so much better though, Caine ruled.

Although I kinda like Teen Titans, its never been as good as the Batman TAS cartoon, or Justice League. The remake of Heman (circa 2002) was also very good.

However making Thundercats into gooddamn band is so unbelievably stupid!! WHY!! The whole back story of thundercats is made for some intelligent retelling, just like Heman was.

Transformers the movie, was and still is one of my favourite movies, I can watch it over and over, I am not hopeful about this remake.

EDIT: Why the hell is "Michael Bay" in great massive letters under the title? How big is this guys ego??? looks like a byline!

Italian Job remake was alright, however the original is so much better though, Caine ruled.

Why "JangoSolo"? Are Bobba's dad and Han your two favourite characters?

Plus "arkenterprise" was too much of a mouthful!

Plus it's currently the in thing to change your user name just to confuse those of advancing years.

I too intend to change my user name. I intend hereafter to be known as Dave U.

Guest reddie101

There's a long tradition of creating remakes for each new generation of cinema visitor's.

What's different is the sheer number of them. Each months brings several remakes. We've just had 'The Omen' and about to get 'The Wicker man'. Trouble with all these films being Hollywood based it's pretty much a certainty that they miss most of the subtlety and appeal of the originals.

Personally I quite liked the 'Dawn of the dead' remake.

Alot of the horror re-makes seem better than the originals.

Hills have eyes and TCM were better and I prefered the new Dawn of the Dead.

O_o

HHE lacked the reasoning and culture behind the troll-family therefore it was just normal vs insane. Yawn.

TCM Toilet. The original is fuckin class.

DotD I give up. It was a zombie film but nowhere near the class of the original.

The same goes for the dreadful remakes of the Ringu trilogy.

Apparantly Dark Water is ok as a film in itself but i've not seen that.

Insomnia was shite. The original exhausted you with the feeling of insomnia.

Stu Monty - The Ladykillers??? The original was fuckin class. The Coen Brothers must need their heads seeing to to release this shite amongst their class films.

The only re-make i've preferred to the original is Solaris. But thats only because the original was 3 hours long.

Guest TK-421

Some films shouldn't be remade and The Wicker Man is a prime example. Whoever made the remake had no chance of capturing the intensity and overwhelming sense of paranoia of the original and I won't be watching it.

HHE lacked the reasoning and culture behind the troll-family

But I'm not Germaine Greer or any of the other annoying up themselves reviewers. I don't care for reasoning in a Horror film I won't strange fuckers, naked cheer leaders and chaos (and if they can fit in a Zombie Vs Shark showdown all the better).

O_o

HHE lacked the reasoning and culture behind the troll-family therefore it was just normal vs insane. Yawn.

Not true - the mutants in the remake were the mutated children of miners caught in US government nuclear tests - various references to this throughout the film. Could just as easily say the original was normal vs inbreeds - hardly original. Both were good films tho - can't imagine many people yawning during either.

Watched the new King Kong fiim yesterday and thought it was very good after fearing the worst.Obviously the CGI in the modern films makes all the difference and they were used to good effect in KK. pisses all over the kurt Russell remake in the 70s which I thought was awful.

as regards the Wickerman, well I really can`t see any good coming of this.

But I'm not Germaine Greer or any of the other annoying up themselves reviewers. I don't care for reasoning in a Horror film I won't strange fuckers, naked cheer leaders and chaos (and if they can fit in a Zombie Vs Shark showdown all the better).

Zombie Flesh Eaters - possibly the most amazing scene ever. Good call.

Watched the new King Kong fiim yesterday and thought it was very good after fearing the worst.Obviously the CGI in the modern films makes all the difference and they were used to good effect in KK. pisses all over the kurt Russell remake in the 70s which I thought was awful.

as regards the Wickerman, well I really can`t see any good coming of this.

Thought it was average (apart from special effects and Naomi Watts of course).