You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

An American's view on football

RedinSweden

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to be picking through Section_31's post, not because it made me angry, but because I'm going to try to educate. His post provides me with the most opportunity to do so.

You're right about the fact that Americans don't like being poor at anything, although I think your dates are off by a great deal. BTW, the average American doesn't look at the rest of the world with apathy, they look at Europe and Asia with apathy. In the case of Asia, probably more fear or disdain. History causes that. In regards to Europe, let me use a metaphor. Europe is like a restaurant, and most Americans who go to this restaurant get verbaly accosted because they are American. Would you go back to that restaurant? Would you care if that restaurant burnt down? You might feel bad for them, but that would be the extent of it. We care deeply about events in Mexico and to a lesser extent Canada, why? because they have the greatest and most immediate effect on our country. These are they views of an average American, not myself, I personally love Europe, and Footy, and it would break my heart if you guys burnt down, you make the best chicken ravioli, and I love Northern Light (well, any beer from the Orkney brewry) and Stella.

You must not know many Americans. Every club in America is going to have plastic fans. Just like LFC has plastic fans that everyone bitches about, they come with success. Also, some people go because it's a different kind of family outting. But the core of fans for every team are just as passionate as any anywhere else in the world. Except for Liverpool. Noone is that passionate. Your comparison of bostonians:angelinos to scousers:Mancs is poor, you can't compare peoples who live 2000 miles away, to peoples who live less than 100 miles away, it would be more appropriate to compare people from Liverpool to Portsmouth. Do you feel the same? I doubt it. Compare Bostonians to New Yorkers, and then we're talking about seeing similarities. Stick a Yankees fan in the room with a Red Socks fan, and only one person will leave the room without having to go to the hospital if you're lucky.

As far as Americans not haveing a close connection to their communities... That's true for some places, but just as false for others. I'm from Austin, Texas, and I love Austin. There is no place I'd rather live, and I think the same is true for 75% of Austinites. New Yorkers and Bostonians have a great deal of pride in being from their respective cities. Even the same can be said of people from Los Angeles, I was born there, and I love it, I'll defend it to the hilt. If I meet someone from Austin or Los Angeles while I'm somewhere unfamiliar, I've probably just found a friend. Yes, peoples accents and regions of birth affect their lives, every place has a stereotype, and based on that stereotype people form their opinions of you. That's a human condition. As far as Identifying with a community, well yeah, half the people I consider friends were people I went to secondary school and University with. Most people are probably that way.

Americans are probably more concerned with the results of our national teams, but I fail to see how this is a fault. We've all been raised to take great pride when we manage some triumph. That could be because if you move in American, it's probably going to be over 100 miles away. That makes it a bit hard to keep in touch with you're roots.

If I didn't comment on something, it's because I agree with you. I'm not ranting, I just feel if someone is going to make broad sweeping comments, they should at least be accurate, and since these wern't I felt the need to educate. This is the last time I'll speak of my country, I'm sure you all find it annoying.

***And in regards to the hack who wrote the story, He's from a conservative town in middle America and he's probably got a rebel flag flying beside his American flag. He writes online for a paper I've never even heard of before, which tells me this, the people of the Twin Cities, and the people of this forum are the only people to have ever read this twat work. Fuck him and Fuck the rag he works for.***

Admirably robust defense, that. Good work.

Admirably robust defense, that. Good work.

Thanks, like you pointed out earlier, I hate being lumped in with those idiots who think they understand footy. I've reverted to using sex as a metaphor for football as I explain to my friends that don't get it. A goal being an orgasm of course. It seems to be working pretty well, of course it could alson be the naked ladies in the background too.

I've reverted to using sex as a metaphor for football as I explain to my friends that don't get it. A goal being an orgasm of course. It seems to be working pretty well, of course it could alson be the naked ladies in the background too.

I've used a similar approach to try and explain football to Kiwis (and explain why rugby is gay)

The football goal clearly represents the vagina, and the low-scoring rate indicates a concentration on increased satisfaction through foreplay rather than climax.

The rugby player is precluded from scoring by placing his seed (the ball) in the vagina (the regular 'soccer 'goal), and can only score by placing his seed some where near the vagina in a masturbatory 'try'. He then has an opportunity to gain some satisfaction through a 'conversion' i.e placing his seed in the anus (the additional part of the rugby goal) and accepting his fundamentally homosexual nature.

With apologies to Daniel Clowes

all americans are idiots. i hate them all.

that pretty much puts you in the same league w/ that xenophobe tom power. I don't really care what other americans think about soccer. I can't really get on w/ NASCAR and that's probably the most popular sport by the #'s here in the states. they've got theirs, i've got mine.

Tom Powers needs a hockey stick shoved sideways up his ass. what a fucking donkey...

NASCAR rules, so does NFL, NHL and I am just getting into baseball. However, football of the variety played with the foot is the pinnacle of world sport, imo. Nothing will ever surpass the beauty and exhilaration of real football. Istanbul says it all for me.

that pretty much puts you in the same league w/ that xenophobe tom power. I don't really care what other americans think about soccer. I can't really get on w/ NASCAR and that's probably the most popular sport by the #'s here in the states. they've got theirs, i've got mine.

Tom Powers needs a hockey stick shoved sideways up his ass. what a fucking donkey...

isn't sarcasm wonderful?

It's called irony but then you Americans don't do it. :whistle:

no, i do believe sarcasm is fitting...

sar·casm (särkzm) n.

1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.

2. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.

3. The use of sarcasm.

isn't sarcasm wonderful?

c'mon! at least give me a ;) or a :whistle: haha you really can't be sarcastic on the internet w/o 'em!

i still don't understand why Americans have to bitch and carry on so much about their dislike for soccer (if they do in fact dislike it) or anything else for that matter. i'm sure it's another completely different reason this guy has so much sand in his vagina. the guy has clearly never been laid...

no, i do believe sarcasm is fitting...

sar·casm (särkzm) n.

1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.

2. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.

3. The use of sarcasm.

yeah but typed words don't convey sarcasm. hyperbole and enounciation however...

:whistle:

lessons on how fans should behave from the country that builds its stadiums with courts and jails underneath the stands. If americans knew what it meant i'd say this was ironic.

thank god that 90% of americans never leave the place.

there's actually a handful of stadiums in germany that have cells to detain dodgy bastards who get out of hand at the WC and club games.

SoMuch4Gravity, where do you watch matches in NYC? I went to a pub near Soho while I was up there in Februaryto watch the match against Chelsea @ SB, but I can't remember the name. I think it was on A ave? Actually, I can't remember what street it was on. It's the place where the LFC Supporters club of New York meets.

SoMuch4Gravity, where do you watch matches in NYC? I went to a pub near Soho while I was up there in Februaryto watch the match against Chelsea @ SB, but I can't remember the name. I think it was on A ave? Actually, I can't remember what street it was on. It's the place where the LFC Supporters club of New York meets.

I go to the 11th St bar (on 11th btw Ave A&B) that's the official liverpool bar in NYC. I was at that game too, the place is always packed for the big matches, it's great. drop a line next time you're up. You'll get getting a msg from me next SXSW!

Anyone who thinks Yanks don't get irony should watch Arrested Development.

That fucking show was class, God I hope Showtime picks it up, because the folks at Fox haven't got a clue as to what their doing. I can't see a reason to watch TV without it on anymore. Well, except when LFC plays.

That fucking show was class, God I hope Showtime picks it up, because the folks at Fox haven't got a clue as to what their doing. I can't see a reason to watch TV without it on anymore. Well, except when LFC plays.

Family Guy rules too, other than that...' i find it shallow and pedantic'...