You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Carra: Their manager got sacked last year

for only getting to the CL semi-final.

from football365

Carragher: Pressure is on Chelsea

Tuesday May 03 2005

Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher believes the pressure is on Chelsea in Tuesday's Champions League semi-final second leg.

The Reds are one match away from their sixth European Cup final, with the tie delicately poised at 0-0, while Chelsea arrive at Anfield after clinching the Barclays Premiership crown and with massive expectations on their expensive squad.

Carragher said: "With the amount of money they have spent they will be very disappointed to go out now, there is great expectation on them, the pressure is on them."

He added: "They have gone one better than last season in the league after being runners-up, now they will want to go one better in the Champions League after losing in the semi-finals last season, but we can stop them.

"All the pressure is on Chelsea. Their manager got sacked last season for only getting to the Champions League semi-final, and they will want to go one better."

Liverpool will be without the suspended Xabi Alonso but have midfielder Dietmar Hamann back, and Carragher added: "We are more concerned about ourselves. You never know whether you will get here again and we want to go on now and finish the job because we are so close."

If Liverpool do win this year's Champions League, Carragher believes the victory would not be tarnished by the row over whether they will be allowed to defend the trophy if they fail to take fourth spot in the league.

Carragher added: "Whatever the controversy about defending the trophy, if we won the European Cup I would still be out partying. We can't influence any decision and are just concentrating on Chelsea and not worrying too much about the future.

"This is the pinnacle of our club career, it's all we are bothered about. The future will take care of itself.

"I don't need to give the fans a message, they have produced some wonderful European nights here and they will be right on form again."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are going in unified, they are going in sniping at each other (Kezman, Robben playing a Dutch version of Kewell, Gallas not happy).

I was thinking on the way home, whilst driving in a half daze, whether I would take my "Carragher booked after shit dive" daydream if we were guaranteed a place in the final.

I couldn't actually decide which I think says a lot about how much I want him to get the glory he deserves and how much of a legend I think he is.