You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: FSG hold meeting with Michael Edwards with Liverpool return on the cards

TLW

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Is Edwards going to be like Ratcliffe & FSG like the Glazers? 

I obviously hope there is a better example than those bozos but it’s the first that came to mind. 

Max Eberl and Steffan Freund might be a better comparison with Edwards being Eberl (perhaps with an expanded brief) and Hughes (if it ends up him) being Freund.

Edit: Edwards job will be far more expanded by the sounds of it as he'll be an employee of FSG rather than Liverpool, so the footballing equivalent of their Theo Epstein appointment.

Full Athletic article https://archive.is/bEFWs

2 minutes ago, John102 said:

Fair play to Jürgen, I would do a runner to if I had to work with the fella who spent a fortune on Brad Smith and Jordan Ibe.

All part of Hughes' long term career plan.

That article details the relationship between Edwards, Hughs and Howe which is very interesting considering the amount of business we did with them.

Do agree with the continuity point made above as well, good to get someone in that knows the club intimately well with all the other change going on. 

Don't want anyone other than the manager having control over the first team (including transfers, committee is okay but manager should always have final say).  We won't attract a manager of the level we need if Edwards has full control.

23 minutes ago, Moo said:

Don't want anyone other than the manager having control over the first team (including transfers, committee is okay but manager should always have final say).  We won't attract a manager of the level we need if Edwards has full control.

You're in luck then.

Although good we finally seem to be getting to a resolution with this, I find it hard to get excited about it.

I’ll be interested to read what the various roles are come June.

From the article, I thought this was an interesting passage…

“The owners always admired his ability to take the emotion out of the decision making process and the fact he was never shy to question and challenge other senior figures, including Klopp”.

43 minutes ago, Moo said:

I don't think that's the control he's after. I think he wants to set budgets, decide how and where money is spent (not just on footballers, but backroom, data science, IT etc). I would guess the whole reason he doesn't want to be sporting director, is that's a level of the weeds he doesn't want to care about. 

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

I don't think that's the control he's after. I think he wants to set budgets, decide how and where money is spent (not just on footballers, but backroom, data science, IT etc). I would guess the whole reason he doesn't want to be sporting director, is that's a level of the weeds he doesn't want to care about. 

Pretty much, having overall/total control of LFC (or FSG's Football portfolio, however it shapes out) doesn't mean making every decision, it means putting the people in place to be able to make those decisions.

It's odd that today, and when the idea was first mentioned, that people made this leap Edwards would be doing everything from only signing the players he wants to deciding on the type of tea served in the canteen.

It also doesn't follow that this would somehow deter good managers from wanting to join when you look at the structures of some of the biggest clubs in the world including a direct rival for one of our targets in Bayern Munich who have multiple layers of management all fighting for their control and influence of the team.

5 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Pretty much, having overall/total control of LFC (or FSG's Football portfolio, however it shapes out) doesn't mean making every decision, it means putting the people in place to be able to make those decisions.

It's odd that today, and when the idea was first mentioned, that people made this leap Edwards would be doing everything from only signing the players he wants to deciding on the type of tea served in the canteen.

It also doesn't follow that this would somehow deter good managers from wanting to join when you look at the structures of some of the biggest clubs in the world including a direct rival for one of our targets in Bayern Munich who have multiple layers of management all fighting for their control and influence of the team.

There's also been some talk in recent times that they are reconsidering their view on multi club ownership. And if that becomes a thing, you can imagine he will want to sit inside the group level part of the structure. If he comes back, in my opinion, it will only be because there is something to build. And where transfers are concerned, I would imagine he will want to be the guy who's setting fsg's guidelines on who should be signed rather than be part of the group asking for exceptions. 

• Upvote 1

Yep the multi club thing is perfect for him and the data lot. Buying up young talent and planting them round various clubs. 

It's the future so you don't get left behind. But it's also a fucking disgrace and another nail in football's coffin

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Ornstein saying it’s done. 

Nice job by him taking what the LFC reporters have already written and then talking like he's got the big scoop himself. Romano-esque that.

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, John102 said:

Fair play to Jürgen, I would do a runner to if I had to work with the fella who spent a fortune on Brad Smith and Jordan Ibe.

They’ll get their money back on solanke this summer

What are people’s thoughts on the likelihood of new deals for Mo and Virgil given their age if Edward’s returns. 
They’re still performing at the highest level unlike Henderson who got a deal at the same age. Jurgen did push for that though. 
I think both Mo and Virgil will continue performing at this level for another two to three seasons yet but Edward’s may decide to get huge money for both and bring younger players in. 
Cash in while the value is still high. Any thoughts.

My thoughts are the manager should decide who stays and who goes being the guy that has to build the team and ultimately its his football strategy and philosophy. Say Xabi comes in and has a specific way he wants to play then I presume he gives the criteria of what he needs to those above, they scout it and show him the options and all the details. If xabi decided he wants Mo for another year then that should be what the club try to do otherwise persuade him why it's time and if he still wants Mo he keeps Mo because ultimately he is the guy that has to make a successful team.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Freddo said:

What are people’s thoughts on the likelihood of new deals for Mo and Virgil given their age if Edward’s returns. 
They’re still performing at the highest level unlike Henderson who got a deal at the same age. Jurgen did push for that though. 
I think both Mo and Virgil will continue performing at this level for another two to three seasons yet but Edward’s may decide to get huge money for both and bring younger players in. 

Jurgen doesn't decide people's wages or length of contract. When asked about Henderson at the time he likely asked to keep him. Nothing more. It did also help the youngsters get another season under their belts and perform at the level they have for us. So not all bad.

1 hour ago, Freddo said:

My mate and I had a couple of similar texts last night. 

Although the Mo situation might already be out of our hands, my thoughts are…

Like Messi used to have at Barca (until he didn’t) the club and players agree an automatic extension that kicks in 12/18/24m in advance of the current expiry.

That way, the club is protected so players don’t leave on a free and the players are protected that if they are out the side or are unhappy, they can chose not to extend .

I’ve said multiple times, as long as he avoids any more serious injuries and we might need to use him less frequently in the future, I think VVD and can continue at this level until Ramos, Thaigo Silva etc age. 

I’m not sure Mo can go to that age, however, I would put it past him. I do think he has another good 2 seasons in him yet. 

The way I look at is, if we were to sell VVD or Mo, based on who is out there and both players present form, would their replacements improve the side? I think we’d all agree that answer is no / highly doubtful. Until that answer changes, we should be continuing to work with the players. 

I think Robbo can be put in a similar boat as well. Contract ends in 2025, he’ll be 31 / 32 if Bayern come in with a big bid, would we sell or extend?

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

My thoughts are the manager should decide who stays and who goes being the guy that has to build the team and ultimately its his football strategy and philosophy. Say Xabi comes in and has a specific way he wants to play then I presume he gives the criteria of what he needs to those above, they scout it and show him the options and all the details. If xabi decided he wants Mo for another year then that should be what the club try to do otherwise persuade him why it's time and if he still wants Mo he keeps Mo because ultimately he is the guy that has to make a successful team.

They won't sign a manager who is significantly outside their sphere of philosophy/style, those managers won't even make the shortlist.

• Upvote 1