You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea (N) - EFL Cup Final, Sun 25th Feb 2024 (3:00pm)

Trumo

2 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Joe Gomez, your time has come.

I think I’d  be starting him at RB and pushing Bradley further forward. We need all our best players on the pitch - especially if Nunez and Mo are out. 

9 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Quite a few players seem to have com back from injury too early. Salah, Trent and Szobozslai all out again with the same injuries after a brief spell back.

If this is correct something must be very wrong with the medical team and the decision making around it. Simply shouldn’t happen at this level.

At the time - Klopp:

"I got the news that there was a discussion we might have forced Trent back," Liverpool manager Klopp said on Friday. "He had two setbacks and it is really unfortunate, no one wants that. "But different cases, different scenarios and as long as I'm here we never forced anyone back and we will never do.

“We can never know if it would have happened anyway or whether it was something before. Very unlucky and unfortunate.

“It is not great but it says nothing about the quality of anyone. The world we are living in it is always immediately ‘Medical department? I’m not sure about that’ but it is nothing to do with that.

“We have to bring the boys as back as soon as possible but never sooner than they are ready from our point of view.”

I'd still rather see Gomez and Bradley at fullback. I think they balance the side. Bradley is explosive from RB, and I'm not sure he'd offer the same when pushed further up. Keep Elliott there, so possession is recycled.

Can't help feeling this might be a bridge too far for the injury-hit reds though. No Anfield and the Kop to suck the ball into the net. Chelsea are inconsistent, but on a neutral ground with their big hitters firing they're a different proposition.

Chelsea are shit and their supporters are worse. Reports most of their fans are wearing this badge around Wembley as a protest to the left wing woke mob they think have taken control of Britain. 

20240223_202833.jpg

7 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I'd still rather see Gomez and Bradley at fullback. I think they balance the side. Bradley is explosive from RB, and I'm not sure he'd offer the same when pushed further up. Keep Elliott there, so possession is recycled.

Can't help feeling this might be a bridge too far for the injury-hit reds though. No Anfield and the Kop to suck the ball into the net. Chelsea are inconsistent, but on a neutral ground with their big hitters firing they're a different proposition.

I agree with the FBs - I think Bradley being pushed forward sounds great on paper, but it is a risk.  And Gomez at left back gives more flexibility for that side, and he's a better option on defending set pieces.  They're both playing so well, and have both been instrumental, that to start experimenting with a different formation now would be very risky.  That said, I'd love to see Bradley being given a go further forward in a less crucial game.  He does remind me of another young FB we pushed forward into midfield with some degree of success.

I'm still optimistic we can beat these bastards today.  

• Like 1

Salah’s two departures to the African Cup of Nations have been beyond frustrating. We’ve been royally screwed over as a result both seasons.

For what it’s worth, I think we’ll miss Nunez and Jota more today given how excellent they’ve been over the last while.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

At the time - Klopp:

"I got the news that there was a discussion we might have forced Trent back," Liverpool manager Klopp said on Friday. "He had two setbacks and it is really unfortunate, no one wants that. "But different cases, different scenarios and as long as I'm here we never forced anyone back and we will never do.

“We can never know if it would have happened anyway or whether it was something before. Very unlucky and unfortunate.

“It is not great but it says nothing about the quality of anyone. The world we are living in it is always immediately ‘Medical department? I’m not sure about that’ but it is nothing to do with that.

“We have to bring the boys as back as soon as possible but never sooner than they are ready from our point of view.”

Not a surprise that Klopp sees it thay way, and even if he doesnt that’s still what you’d expect him to say. He’s 100% professional and unlike clowns like Mourinho would never throw anyone at the club under the bus.

Could be a freak coincidence of course, but this happening to three players in a short time doesnt look good. Anyway, probably the wrong thread for that discussion, we have good players available and I’m sure they’ll fight with everything they’ve got today.

Come on you mighty Reds!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Not a surprise that Klopp sees it thay way, and even if he doesnt that’s still what you’d expect him to say. He’s 100% professional and unlike clowns like Mourinho would never throw anyone at the club under the bus.

Could be a freak coincidence of course, but this happening to three players in a short time doesnt look good. Anyway, probably the wrong thread for that discussion, we have good players available and I’m sure they’ll fight with everything they’ve got today.

Come on you mighty Reds!

Those quotes were posted in the injury thread at the time.

Last part - agreed.

25 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

If the subs Wednesday have any bearing on anything, Bradley and Robbo could be the fullbacks. Gomez played 90 minutes. Maybe that means nothing, though.

I would be surprised if Bradley played up front, but it would be a squad management tactic that you would use for a one off game like this. Elliott off the bench would be valuable to have.

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

If the subs Wednesday have any bearing on anything, Bradley and Robbo could be the fullbacks. Gomez played 90 minutes. Maybe that means nothing, though.

I would be surprised if Bradley played up front, but it would be a squad management tactic that you would use for a one off game like this. Elliott off the bench would be valuable to have.

Yeah, I was wondering if the amount Gomez has played affects selection. He's had a good run, but we know he can break down, and Klopp tends to follow what the docs say no matter the game.

With regards the bench, I think we'll go as strong as we can with the starting line-up and gamble on winning it in 90 rather risk extra time.

Guess it's a gamble either way though. Feels like this game may be less about tactics and form, and more about squad management. We want to win, but not at further cost. Still, a cup final as an extra game is a nice problem to have.

It’d be easier with a good few of the missing players available. 

But, I’m quietly confident either way. We’ve recently bummed them 4-1. And I think a lot of the lack of confidence isn’t just because of our injury crisis but because they got a decent result against City. They played fairly well but, on another day, City could’ve bummed them 3 or 4 - 1 with better finishing. 

They're patchy as fuck. Whereas we are ruthlessly consistent, even with having to make lots of changes even before the current bad run of injuries. Nobody would’ve had Bradley, Endo, Gomez and maybe even Diaz as regular starters. But, they’ve come in and done the business. I see no reason why they won’t do the same today or why the likes of Gakpo, Elliott and Gravenberch (if playing) won’t also be able deputies, particularly against an inconsistent Chelsea. 

Keep the faith. It is not the time to wet the bed. It’s the time for people to step up to the plate and make themselves notable players in the history of our football club. 

8 minutes ago, bizzle10 said:

Dont risk Mo/Darwin/Slobo id rather they were ready for Forrest go with what we got hopefully we got enough to beat the Tories

If they’re (properly) fit, they should play. I’d prefer to see them rested in midweek; goalkeeper aside, no-one who is going to be starting against Forest should play much of a part in the FA Cup against Southampton.

19 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

I'm assuming this is on pay tele only, if so any streams I can report early, to make sure no one can watch the build up and booing of the anthem.  

Bookmark this site and every time we play check if our game on it, if it is a report the bastards.

https://freestreams-live1se.nu/lfctv2/

We’ll get them eventually, if we just remain vigilant that is.

• Upvote 3