You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 4 Luton Town 1 (Feb 21 2024)

image.jpeg

I wonder how many more players we need to lose before it actually becomes a problem? You can make a convincing argument that only two of the eleven that thrashed Luton would make it into Klopp’s preferred line up when he has a full squad to choose from.

That doesn’t mean these lads are ‘reserves’ as it’s very much a squad game these days, but Alisson, Trent, Konate, Robertson, Jones, Szoboszlai, Nunez, Salah and Jota are all probably starting if they’re available. They weren’t available though (or in the case of Konate and Robbo they were being rested for the weekend) and yet I thought that starting eleven still looked good. Not great, and you wouldn’t want to be playing that eleven every week, but it’s a sign of how strong the squad is that we can be without all of those players (I haven’t even mentioned Thiago, Bajcetic or Doak either) and still field a line up that didn’t have any glaring weaknesses.

Going into the game I was a little concerned simply because Luton never get battered and they’re in every game they play. If they lose, it’s usually by the odd goal and they normally score. If they scored in this one, would we have the firepower to get the win? That was the worry I had, but even though we went in at the break a goal down that worry had gone based on how the first half went.

I couldn’t believe how open it was. Right from the first couple of minutes we were getting in behind them and it’s not at all what I expected. I thought Luton would be deep and compact and force us to try and play through them, but they seemed to just go man for man all over the park and although we went in a goal down, it felt like a game we should have been leading by two or three.

It started early on. We’d already forced a couple corners in the first minute or two and then Diaz ran clean through from a ball over the top by Kelleher. I’m not sure how Luton allowed that as it’s the kind of chance you’d never expect to get against a side at the bottom, because they usually play a deep low block and won’t allow anything in behind.

Yet Kelleher plays a ball over their high line and Diaz runs clear. He should score, it’s an easy chance really. One of the easiest chance you can get when running through on goal as it’s a bouncing ball and the keeper is coming out. Knocking it over him and getting it up and down is so easy and I couldn’t understand what Diaz was even thinking. He hesitated and as soon as he did that the chance was gone.

I’ve watched it back and I think the problem is his first touch didn’t get it out of his feet and he never really got his body in position to just lob the ball over the keeper. And once he hesitated, that was that.

View full article

• Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic

don't think anyone saw that second half coming after the state of the first.  You might expect it of an experienced team, but not this one.  Credit to them all that they managed to raise their game several notches.  Fantastic result, and sets us up nicely for the weekend.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, stringvest said:

don't think anyone saw that second half coming after the state of the first.  You might expect it of an experienced team, but not this one.  Credit to them all that they managed to raise their game several notches.  Fantastic result, and sets us up nicely for the weekend.

Speak for yourself on that 1st sentence. We weren't playing that shit. Well on top, loads of chances, shit choices and execution. Again a bit of higher press more aggressive and hey presto.

• Upvote 5

I was fuming at Diaz at half time but he never stops trying, like Nunez. Fair play to him. But Endo is fast becoming my favourite player, he just gets on with it quietly, bossing midfield and he's capable of creativity too, the ball which Diaz had to stretch for being a good example. Great to see the young lads emerging and settling, Bobby Clark getting more involved when he comes on and a nice foul for the team too. 

I'm with Stringvest in that although I knew we could improve second half I didn't think it would be quite so much.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, bigal said:

I was fuming at Diaz at half time but he never stops trying, like Nunez. Fair play to him. But Endo is fast becoming my favourite player, he just gets on with it quietly, bossing midfield and he's capable of creativity too, the ball which Diaz had to stretch for being a good example. Great to see the young lads emerging and settling, Bobby Clark getting more involved when he comes on and a nice foul for the team too. 

I'm with Stringvest in that although I knew we could improve second half I didn't think it would be quite so much.

Did you think we'd win as that's all that matters? I'm not sure Stringvest thought we would and that's not a dig at him. People have their reasons. My personal one is never ever discount us at home. Up in the air away.

59 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

Did you think we'd win as that's all that matters? I'm not sure Stringvest thought we would and that's not a dig at him. People have their reasons. My personal one is never ever discount us at home. Up in the air away.

I was confident we’d improve, after Klopp had a word at half time,  but not by that much.  I didn’t think we’d get beat.

12 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I was confident we’d improve, after Klopp had a word at half time,  but not by that much.  I didn’t think we’d get beat.

Only thing I'd say to that is we've seen it loads of times this season. For me no need to panic at home. Even Aresenal. Despite what that Guardiola light prick says we had them on the ropes 2nd half.

Jurgen's comment about Barcelona was not about comparing the opposition; it's about thinking about who's missing and not letting it affect how the players go about their own game and having belief in themselves.

Virgil's goal is a direct result of Gravenberch coming out and standing 10 metres from the corner - this draws two Luton defenders and Virgil's run is straight into the hole that they vacated.

• Upvote 2

When Diaz broke for the first chance I was thinking, just Usher it! Don't know where that came from, must have read it somewhere.

Think you may have mentioned this point before? When managers leave they rarely leave the club in a good place. But fuck me Klopp will leave us in an position we could only dream of. Everything he's done will leave us in a great position going forward. The kids coming through makes the future so bright. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, StevieMax said:

Jurgen's comment about Barcelona was not about comparing the opposition; it's about thinking about who's missing and not letting it affect how the players go about their own game and having belief in themselves.

Virgil's goal is a direct result of Gravenberch coming out and standing 10 metres from the corner - this draws two Luton defenders and Virgil's run is straight into the hole that they vacated.

I know, but he also referred to the second half as "the best ever" so I think he's getting a little carried away!

I am sorry but I dont agree with the Match report and maybe thats because I cannot separate my emotions from the game atm. 

I am beyond desperate in wanting to win the league for Klopp and to have that end of season parade with him. I know as fans we deserve it after covid; but we deserve to have it as champions for the boss. 

And therefore the first half was bad. (emotionally anyhows) It was Hodgson esq. Not sure if it was him or Rodgers; think it was the Owl but we lost or drew to Bolton in the 3rd round of the FA Cup and I still remember it as being one of the worst performances I have ever seen 11 men of LFC produce and I imo Thursdays first half was up there. 

We looked incapable of playing football and Klopp is right; everything was rushed. final balls were as bad as I have ever seen and we were wasteful with chances. 

When Luton Scored and we went 1-0 down; it was the first time this season I didnt know if we were going to come back from it. Especially after the 1-1 earlier on the season. 

I was particularly vocal towards the TV and incredibly frustrated by it. And thats how the players looked and felt too. 

If the crowd is able to cheer and support the crowd when we are playing well (yes they should support in times of trouble) but there isnt anything wrong with a "pull ya finger out lads moan"

But however much I want the league; I am sure the players want it ten fold and maybe thats showing slightly. 

Before VVD scored I was moaning at the Mrs; and god bless her she does have to listen to me go on at times but I was like; when are we gonna have a captain performance from our captain that grabs this team by the neck and changes the game. Maybe we were too blessed with Stevie dragging us out the shite and maybe there were 1 or 2 moments from Hendo (Chelsea springs to mind). Its about time that from Virg and was well needed- Thanks Skipper. 

After the second went in I knew we were safe. I had 3-1 before the game on Super 6 but was made up for Harvey. lads certainly a trier. 

Roll on any 11 that make it to Sunday. 

18 hours ago, Smell The Glove said:

I thought we'd get back into it yes as we had created so many chances. The only concern was that Diaz was not putting them away and if that continued then it could be frustrating. And frustrating was the word, to be playing a promoted team and see our chances of the League being jeopardised. I knew we had the ability to turn it round but if they got another goal then I could see us struggling. So, I wouldn't dismiss Stringvest's concerns, we all have different levels of positive/negative

2 hours ago, bigal said:

I thought we'd get back into it yes as we had created so many chances. The only concern was that Diaz was not putting them away and if that continued then it could be frustrating. And frustrating was the word, to be playing a promoted team and see our chances of the League being jeopardised. I knew we had the ability to turn it round but if they got another goal then I could see us struggling. So, I wouldn't dismiss Stringvest's concerns, we all have different levels of positive/negative

Yeah that's very true the last sentence. On the whole I think this team should get a bit more faith. We've got a body of work now that shows they can be trusted. That's not to say I have complete faith. I'm still not fully convinced on them away from Anfield but this is definitely a serious team.

11 hours ago, Fowlers God said:

I am sorry but I dont agree with the Match report and maybe thats because I cannot separate my emotions from the game atm. 

I am beyond desperate in wanting to win the league for Klopp and to have that end of season parade with him. I know as fans we deserve it after covid; but we deserve to have it as champions for the boss. 

And therefore the first half was bad. (emotionally anyhows) It was Hodgson esq. Not sure if it was him or Rodgers; think it was the Owl but we lost or drew to Bolton in the 3rd round of the FA Cup and I still remember it as being one of the worst performances I have ever seen 11 men of LFC produce and I imo Thursdays first half was up there. 

We looked incapable of playing football and Klopp is right; everything was rushed. final balls were as bad as I have ever seen and we were wasteful with chances. 

When Luton Scored and we went 1-0 down; it was the first time this season I didnt know if we were going to come back from it. Especially after the 1-1 earlier on the season. 

I was particularly vocal towards the TV and incredibly frustrated by it. And thats how the players looked and felt too. 

If the crowd is able to cheer and support the crowd when we are playing well (yes they should support in times of trouble) but there isnt anything wrong with a "pull ya finger out lads moan"

But however much I want the league; I am sure the players want it ten fold and maybe thats showing slightly. 

Before VVD scored I was moaning at the Mrs; and god bless her she does have to listen to me go on at times but I was like; when are we gonna have a captain performance from our captain that grabs this team by the neck and changes the game. Maybe we were too blessed with Stevie dragging us out the shite and maybe there were 1 or 2 moments from Hendo (Chelsea springs to mind). Its about time that from Virg and was well needed- Thanks Skipper. 

After the second went in I knew we were safe. I had 3-1 before the game on Super 6 but was made up for Harvey. lads certainly a trier. 

Roll on any 11 that make it to Sunday. 

THURSDAY??

The first half was not as bad as you seem to think.

Just poor/hurried executions of very good situations.

Second half was more of the same - but clinically finished.

And the Luton keeper made some very good saves.

Second goal:

As I said to Ralph at the time - Bradley and Mac managed to execute their own "Trent Moment".

Everyone seemed distracted by the introduction of Townsend Senior into the fray and whilst he was ambling on to the pitch, the ball was in the back of the net.

The referee was looking at the lino for some reason to disallow the goal - even though he had clearly blown the whistle to restart.

Just reinforces the old adage of not making substitutes when you are in a defensive situation.

• dave u unpinned this topic