You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Toulouse (H) - EL Grp E, Thurs 26th Oct 2023 (8:00pm)

Trumo

Gravenberch was good. But, for me, he still needs to show a bit more awareness of when to run with the ball and when not to and to pass it instead. Looks a very good signing though. 

Endo doesn’t look like he’ll reach top, unbroken Fabinho levels as he seems more of a positional number 6 who’ll win the ball back by getting in the right position, rather than a powerful, running number 6 who’ll track players back and overpower them. Endo still gets ran past a bit too much, for me. He was good tonight though and his snappy passes in between the lines were very good. He used the ball well tonight. 

Nunez should’ve scored a second when he hit the post. He did everything right apart from the finish though. And we ended up scoring anyway. And he already had a goal, so we’ll let him off. 

I was impressed by Dallinga for them. Looked a decent player with some really good movement. 

No real complaints overall though, a good 5-1 win. No obvious injuries. And some players got some needed minutes under their belt. 

Happy days. 

• Upvote 3

I'm blown away by everything Nunez did apart from that finish tbh. Not many players can ever do that in the way he did. The slotting it into the empty net aka the easy bit will come

I used to play and my manager used to say I did all the hard bits easy and all the easy bits hard, and it was because I'd beat 3 players and then mess up squaring a sitter. And that was amateur level. All I can say was I got the easy bit right with experience and just calming down. Because it's so exhilarating doing the hard bit easy

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Very satisfactory night's work.  Plenty of kids getting a run out. Five goals, some of them exceptional.  Jones, Elliott and Nuñez were superb.  Endo looked like the real thing, especially with the confidence the goal gave him. Nice, respectful tribute to Kenwright. No injuries and no PGMOL twattery.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

I loved the first goal. 

It looked like a FIFA goal or a football console game in general where you just press the sprint button and run through their defence. 

It was one of those where a player decides what he's going to do and no fucker is going to stop him.

9 minutes ago, etho said:

I'm blown away by everything Nunez did apart from that finish tbh. Not many players can ever do that in the way he did. The slotting it into the empty net aka the easy bit will come

I used to play and my manager used to say I did all the hard bits easy and all the easy bits hard, and it was because I'd beat 3 players and then mess up squaring a sitter. And that was amateur level. All I can say was I got the easy bit right with experience and just calming down. Because it's so exhilarating doing the hard bit easy

So you're comparing your jaunts in the school playground with professional football?  The 'easy bit' is composure and if you don't have it at 23 as a professional, you probably never will. He's got everything, I agree but he'll always miss sitters. It's pretty fucking obvious by now.

That was actually an entertaining game, thanks in large part to Toulouse who tried to play football and not simply sit back and break up the game.

Some of the youngsters got a run out, Endo got a goal, Grav was outstanding and deservedly found the net, and we also got an incredible miss from each side. Darwin did superbly to get past the defender and goalkeeper but didn't get his shape right to roll the ball into the empty net, hitting the post instead. That was a bad miss with the goal gaping, but I think the Toulouse one was worst. Queef faffing about at the back (do goalkeepers never watch their counterparts fucking up in these situations again and again?) led to us being opened up. The Toulouse player had over half the goal to aim at with only Trent on the line, and yet he fired his effort straight at him!

9 points from 9, and a 5 point lead at the halfway mark. Just keep on going.

• Upvote 2

Klopp deserves credit for giving youngsters a chance. It's great to see.

Nunez - Rushie hit the post in that situation, as did many other great players. No problem at all. He did well.

Delighted for Endo getting that goal. I think he needed that, even though it's hardly what he's been signed to do. He needs a bit of confidence.

If Michael Holding had been a footballer he'd have been like Gravenberch - what a graceful, clever player he is.

Gomez has very quietly grown back into this squad. 

Elliott - still no idea what he is. He's smart, he has a great attitude, but I don't really know what he's trying to do most of the time.

The Europa League is a drag at this stage, in some ways, but we could look back on this as so valuable for the experience it's giving a few youngsters.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stringvest said:

It’s difficult for Elliot I think.  He hasn’t got the elite level skill, the pace or the stature to be a standout player.  He is improving, but it’s hard to see him displacing our other midfielders regularly.  Maybe Klopp might use him centrally as a 10 occasionally? 

He's one of those players that is good at everything but excels at nothing and given his diminutive stature, that's a problem.

Cracking squad player though, if he's accepting of that role.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, stringvest said:

It’s difficult for Elliot I think.  He hasn’t got the elite level skill, the pace or the stature to be a standout player.  He is improving, but it’s hard to see him displacing our other midfielders regularly.  Maybe Klopp might use him centrally as a 10 occasionally? 

A bit of a jack of all trades who works his balls  off and is not afraid to get stuck in.  The sort of player you wonder where he fits in but at the end of the season ends up with 30plus appearances.  He’s developing nicely into a great squad member. 

21 minutes ago, Elite said:

So you're comparing your jaunts in the school playground with professional football?  The 'easy bit' is composure and if you don't have it at 23 as a professional, you probably never will. He's got everything, I agree but he'll always miss sitters. It's pretty fucking obvious by now.

Fair point, it was semi pro footba and probably unnecessarily distracted from the point im making, but the point remains the same. He can do things most other players can't. The basics he still gets wrong will come in time. 

Didier drogba is a great example. He joined Chelsea at 26 and he looked a bit raw then. Look what he became. Darwin will be the absolute real deal no doubt 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Very satisfactory night's work.  Plenty of kids getting a run out. Five goals, some of them exceptional.  Jones, Elliott and Nuñez were superb.  Endo looked like the real thing, especially with the confidence the goal gave him. Nice, respectful tribute to Kenwright. No injuries and no PGMOL twattery.

Also, it wasn't nearly as cold as I thought it was going to be.

1 hour ago, Razoray said:

If we get a draw against Toulouse away, the worst case scenario is that we would need to avoid a 3 goal defeat v Union, to qualify. 

If we beat Toulouse and Union don't win we've won the group.

That would mean that the last two games are dead rubbers and also we go straight in to the last 16 and avoid 2 extra games against one of the teams that drop out of the Champions league.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, etho said:

Fair point, it was semi pro footba and probably unnecessarily distracted from the point im making, but the point remains the same. He can do things most other players can't. The basics he still gets wrong will come in time. 

Didier drogba is a great example. He joined Chelsea at 26 and he looked a bit raw then. Look what he became. Darwin will be the absolute real deal no doubt 

You're no DaveU, that's for certain.