You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Everton (H) - Sat 21st Oct 2023 (12:30pm)

Trumo

3 hours ago, Pidge said:

Sure he is, two yellows is usually a one game deal unless you call the ref a fanny or something like that.

Do you think we should introduce bans for TSOP?  A one game ban for putting some shite 90's grunge or shoegaze on the jukey, three game ban for cargo shorts, permanent ban for jarg pink polo shirts etc

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, stringvest said:

Do you think we should introduce bans for TSOP?  A one game ban for putting some shite 90's grunge or shoegaze on the jukey, three game ban for cargo shorts, permanent ban for jarg pink polo shirts etc

Not having any hate for shoegaze on here. I based my whole early 90s look on shoegaze bands. 

I mean, Beef is an absolute drama queen, but this season has actually fucking stunk. We have been just good enough to create a faint hope we could do something big, but realistically we arent that good. We are playing in the fucking Europa League. And then theres the ridiculous ref bullshit and the interminable international breaks.

The derby should be a huge game but I dont really care because we just took our second break of the season, with the third one coming in a month, and it keeps taking me out of it. And taking me out even further of an already shit season, for all reasons mentioned, at that. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I mean, Beef is an absolute drama queen, but this season has actually fucking stunk. We have been just good enough to create a faint hope we could do something big, but realistically we arent that good. We are playing in the fucking Europa League. And then theres the ridiculous ref bullshit and the interminable international breaks.

The derby should be a huge game but I dont really care because we just took our second break of the season, with the third one coming in a month, and it keeps taking me out of it. And taking me out even further of an already shit season, for all reasons mentioned, at that. 

I don’t get this myself.

last season was a shot season. We kept losing to teams that were bottom of the league, and anyone and everyone could make us look like a team that might never win again.

This season was always going to be the one after that. It was always going to be hope for recovery and better days and christ we can see them up ahead.

having a faint glimmer of hope? balls to that, we got gushing gallons of it. 

even WITH the refs and the 12:30 after international break, and the Thursday-Sunday bullshit, and the nonsense suspensions, and the whateverthefuck… even with that we’re touching distance of a top spot we weren’t coveting coming in.

we play decent stuff. Our players have some swagger back. Our boss has the eye of the tiger again, and our number 8 looks like a superstar and our number 9 looks like he could be too. And Everton might go bust and/or get relegated. And United probably have to sack another manager after spending shitloads to be 10th or whatever. And Chelsea remain nowhere. 

It’s all about the framing.

• Upvote 7

43 minutes ago, Bob said:

I don’t get this myself.

last season was a shot season. We kept losing to teams that were bottom of the league, and anyone and everyone could make us look like a team that might never win again.

This season was always going to be the one after that. It was always going to be hope for recovery and better days and christ we can see them up ahead.

even WITH the refs and the 12:30 after international break, and the Thursday-Sunday bullshit, and the nonsense suspensions, and the whateverthefuck… even with that we’re touching distance of a top spot we weren’t coveting coming in.

we play decent stuff. Our players have some swagger back. Our boss has the eye of the tiger again, and our number 8 looks like a superstar and our number 9 looks like he could be too. And Everton might go bust and/or get relegated. And United probably have to sack another manager after spending shitloads to be 10th or whatever. And Chelsea remain nowhere. 

Yeah I agree the season needs putting in perspective. I dont think we've been playing well though, some podcasts would have you believe it's us and City and no one else. We still seem to be terrified when teams actually want to be competitive and fall apart its a massive issue, like we expect to turn up and have it all our own way, the players and maybe even the manager need their arses kicking for it after all this time lacking that part of our game isn't good enough, the poor first half's, conceding first, its way too many times when we look completely out of touch, half asleep.

Also the 12:30 kick off thing its shit but deal with it are other sides as poor as us at 12:30.

That said I'm not expecting us to dominate this season, I still think we didn't do enough in the window and that will show like it usually does.

20 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Yeah I agree the season needs putting in perspective. I dont think we've been playing well though, some podcasts would have you believe it's us and City and no one else. We still seem to be terrified when teams actually want to be competitive and fall apart its a massive issue, like we expect to turn up and have it all our own way, the players and maybe even the manager need their arses kicking for it after all this time lacking that part of our game isn't good enough, the poor first half's, conceding first, its way too many times when we look completely out of touch, half asleep.

Also the 12:30 kick off thing its shit but deal with it are other sides as poor as us at 12:30.

That said I'm not expecting us to dominate this season, I still think we didn't do enough in the window and that will show like it usually does.

That’s all fair enough and critique of things here and there is part of it all, but if people can only enjoy a season if we’re the 95-97 points per season version of us, then they’re gonna have a very many number of shit years not enjoying watching the reds.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Bob said:

I don’t get this myself.

If one of the three huge calls go for us v Spurs, I believe we would have won. Even if we only drew, we would be level with City in 2nd, just 2 points behind Arsenal, having had the most difficult fixture list so far this season. 

Of the top 4, we have the easist run prior to the next international break. We have 3 home games and play 4 teams in the bottom eight of the league. We should/will be still be competing at the top going into the City game at the end of November.

I've picked the tricky ones for our rivals before the next International break:

Spurs

Away to Palace. Home to Chelsea

Arsenal

Away to Chelsea & Newcastle 

City

Home to Brighton. Away to Man Utd & Chelsea 

Spurs have a relatively easy run again but after the next break, they play Villa, City, West Ham & Newcastle. 

I believe we can win the league this season. We wont get 95+ points but we won't need to. It may need a bit of luck with injuries and a midfielder or defender in January but if we are near the top of the table with Champions League Football likely, the club has recently spent money in the mid-season window to prepare for departures that summer. 

City's squad isn’t as deep as it has been in previous years, and Arsenal have to negotiate Champions League this seasons. Our squad is the biggest in the league, and we have the most attacking talent, in my opinion, and that may prove crucial. 

It's a sad reflection on how the bluenoses have behaved in these games over recent years that my most prominent concern going into them is that we don't end up with any injuries. And at a time when the standard of refereeing is at a major low, that concern is even keener.

Szoboszlai is such a Souness sort of character he'll surely be looking at this game as one on which to stamp his signature, although hopefully not via someone's thigh or face (tempting though that is, we can't do with another suspension). 

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

It's a sad reflection on how the bluenoses have behaved in these games over recent years that my most prominent concern going into them is that we don't end up with any injuries. And at a time when the standard of refereeing is at a major low, that concern is even keener.

Szoboszlai is such a Souness sort of character he'll surely be looking at this game as one on which to stamp his signature, although hopefully not via someone's thigh or face (tempting though that is, we can't do with another suspension). 

Kostas can be a headcase in these types of games too, he needs to not get involved in any of their crap.

3 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

You will never always play well even if you win the league. You just have to make sure the bad performances are rare and/or don't cost too many points. City have already lost themselves and probably will again.