You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Newcastle (A) - Sun 27th Aug 2023 (4:30pm)

Trumo

They won't finish in top 6 this season.

They massively overachieved last season.

Europe will find them out this season.

But sadly of course they'll buy their way to top soon enough - but for now they have been overachieving, they'll fall back a bit this season but they are currently ahead of schedule.

I hope Klopp isn't his usual conservative self with team selection and picks players that he trusts but are square pegs in round holes. Mac Allister needs to be an 8, start Endo its why he's been bought.

They will score absolutely just don't let them do it in the first 15 minutes. Our players need to be clinical when the chances arrive because they won't arrive often. I cant stand the club formally known as Newcastle and now they are Saudi FC I like them even less but fair play to them as a side they are very good, bought well and are coached well though last season where the most disgusting example of anti football I've ever seen in my life. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Newcastle finished above us in the league. They are - are hard as it is to admit - the better team. League table doesn't lie. 

Nah no chance. We had a shite season but they've got nowhere near our levels of quality. We should be thumping these wobbly spuggie cunts 4-nil.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Mook said:

That was no lie, we were absolute dogshit for the vast majority of last season & they were better than us.

The season we ended up a point behind City and won the Champions League was a bit of a lie.

We were the best team in the world and they got away with one, IMO.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

Absolute rubbish. 

Nope, low scoring. low number of games means statistically there's more scope for 'lying' within the table compared to other sports that become less predictable, the lie might not be huge every time but it can be.

Obviously a lot of those bigger lies filter out as the season progresses and game week 1 will show you a far less true picture than game week 38.

Pardew got an 8 year deal off one 5th place finish where they had a goal difference of +5 ( the 4 places above them finished on +25, +25, +56 and +64 and the two places below them finished on +19 and +10), they got there on the back of unsustainable numbers (including Papiss Cisse putting up a ridiculously high conversion percentages) that meant it wasn't repeatable or sustainable and the following season they finished in the bottom half with a -23 GD, the outcome isn't always truthful.

The reverse was true of Dortmund and Ian Grahams entire pitch to Klopp when considering the Liverpool job was based on the fact that the the performance and the outcome were mis-aligned and that despite the outcome the performances and underlying numbers were far more sustainable.

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

Nope, low scoring. low number of games means statistically there's more scope for 'lying' within the table compared to other sports that become less predictable, the lie might not be huge every time but it can be.

Obviously a lot of those bigger lies filter out as the season progresses and game week 1 will show you a far less true picture than game week 38.

Pardew got an 8 year deal off one 5th place finish where they had a goal difference of +5 ( the 4 places above them finished on +25, +25, +56 and +64 and the two places below them finished on +19 and +10), they got there on the back of unsustainable numbers (including Papiss Cisse putting up a ridiculously high conversion percentages) that meant it wasn't repeatable or sustainable and the following season they finished in the bottom half with a -23 GD, the outcome isn't always truthful.

The reverse was true of Dortmund and Ian Grahams entire pitch to Klopp when considering the Liverpool job was based on the fact that the the performance and the outcome were mis-aligned and that despite the outcome the performances and underlying numbers were far more sustainable.

Performance and outcome being ‘misaligned’ over 38 games means performances weren’t good enough in some aspect. Teams shouldn’t get points just for having a talented squad or playing pretty football.

Feel dirty saying this but been impressed by Howe - I guess when your head is on the chopping block it helps keep you focused. Noticed, Tonali, Gordon and Guimaraes have already picked up two yellows each and nobody committed more fouls than Joelinton last season. Will be a big physical and niggly test for Endo, Dom and Mac Allister. With Konate out need a commanding performance from Van Dijk.

From the clips I saw Endo won a lot of soft and clever fouls in Germany be interesting to see if it plays out the same way here (doubtful). 

Even in our current less than our best state I don't believe these are better than us....

But that said it is an away game and sadly I don't have massive trust in us to win anywhere away in the league as evidenced by our away form.

Last 20 away games in PL....

Won 6

Drawn 6

Lost 8

GS 30

GA 31

GD -1

PTS 24

That is a terrible record. 

Get it improved tomorrow, red men.

Watched these against Villa. Villa is a pretty decent team, and looked decent against these as well. But the Saudis absolutely tore them apart on the break. Every time Villa got caught high up the pitch the Saudis looked lethal.

Not looking forwards to this at all, if we get it wrong tactically it could be ugly.

15 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I hope Klopp isn't his usual conservative self with team selection and picks players that he trusts but are square pegs in round holes. Mac Allister needs to be an 8, start Endo its why he's been bought.

They will score absolutely just don't let them do it in the first 15 minutes. Our players need to be clinical when the chances arrive because they won't arrive often. I cant stand the club formally known as Newcastle and now they are Saudi FC I like them even less but fair play to them as a side they are very good, bought well and are coached well though last season where the most disgusting example of anti football I've ever seen in my life. 

Can’t call em Geordies anymore.

I’ll go with Gaudies.