You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Newcastle (A) - Sun 27th Aug 2023 (4:30pm)

Trumo

2 hours ago, an tha said:

Even in our current less than our best state I don't believe these are better than us....

But that said it is an away game and sadly I don't have massive trust in us to win anywhere away in the league as evidenced by our away form.

Last 20 away games in PL....

Won 6

Drawn 6

Lost 8

GS 30

GA 31

GD -1

PTS 24

That is a terrible record. 

Get it improved tomorrow, red men.

Last season was shite; we know this and we know why.  It's a new season, with a new midfield; there's no reason why we shouldn't have a much better away record this time.

18 minutes ago, George Costanza said:

Our defensive 'system' will get exposed today. 3-1 to the Saudi's

Our defensive system is the same system we've used under Klopp since he got here. It's the in possession system that has changed and how we transition.

[Edit: few tweaks here and there but you get the point].

13 hours ago, an tha said:

Even in our current less than our best state I don't believe these are better than us....

But that said it is an away game and sadly I don't have massive trust in us to win anywhere away in the league as evidenced by our away form.

Last 20 away games in PL....

Won 6

Drawn 6

Lost 8

GS 30

GA 31

GD -1

PTS 24

That is a terrible record. 

Get it improved tomorrow, red men.

Four out of the last five seasons - even the season our defence was shredded - we've had a really good away record.  Last season was an aberration, because our midfield had grown old, error-strewn, injury-prone and rubbish.  We've had a massive clear out and made a really good start at rebuilding our midfield: we are now able to put out a midfield three that's better balanced and much higher quality than the mess we saw last season.  We've started with what is likely to be one of the toughest away fixtures of the season, and we came away unbeaten.  I see no reason why we shouldn't revert to our usual decent away results.

• Upvote 1

I'm not enthusiastic about today. If konate misses, we are in trouble imo. And it feels were like that all over the pitch, one injury and it feels we are massively exposed. 

The pressure is on Newcastle though, after losing to city, they won't want to lose 2 on the bounce. We have to get at their back 4 the way we did last season. I know most wouldn't, but I'd play Darwin, he gave them a tough time last year. 

I once rolled the ball back to Terry McDermott as he jogged over to take a corner at the Gollowgate End.

He was in his second spell as a Newcastle player and I was a Liverpool fan in enemy territory (they weren’t playing Liverpool that day).

Our eyes met. Our red hearts connected and, just for a second, we floated back to Rome in ‘77 and opened the scoring. 

For this reason, we will win 1-3. 

You can thank me later. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm not enthusiastic about today. If konate misses, we are in trouble imo. And it feels were like that all over the pitch, one injury and it feels we are massively exposed. 

The pressure is on Newcastle though, after losing to city, they won't want to lose 2 on the bounce. We have to get at their back 4 the way we did last season. I know most wouldn't, but I'd play Darwin, he gave them a tough time last year. 

If Konate is out, I think we should stick Trent back to RB, sit a bit deeper and make them work for any chances. We’ve got more than enough pace up front to worry them particularly if Darwin starts. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, aws said:

If Konate is out, I think we should stick Trent back to RB, sit a bit deeper and make them work for any chances. We’ve got more than enough pace up front to worry them particularly if Darwin starts. 

Yeah, but I don't know if endo could play the lone 6 in our traditional 433. I thought we looked pretty solid in the 441 last week. Dunno if a variation on that is possible with this personnel and make it a 442. 

12 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Last season was shite; we know this and we know why.  It's a new season, with a new midfield; there's no reason why we shouldn't have a much better away record this time.

I'm hopeful it is case - although the performance at chelsea was not one to inspire massive confidence.

That said first games teams can be undercooked and we of course were in make and do mode - we'll know more once we are hopefully able to put out a 1st choice midfield with players in the roles they are best at, and they've had a few games to gel.

But hopefully yes - the changes in midfield should make us better - although the wrinkles with this TAA lark still require some ironing out.

56 minutes ago, aws said:

The 'normal' 4-3-3 is IMO a must today.

If Matip plays and we do this lark with TAA wandering into midfield, Matip will get dragged all over shop and rinsed by their pace and movement down that side.

If it is Gomez - he has the pace to cope but his tendency to have dozy moments is a worry.

Just don't like either option in that system - so the more rigid/normal 4-3-3 for me is the better call here.

On 26/08/2023 at 09:49, Mook said:

That was no lie, we were absolute dogshit for the vast majority of last season & they were better than us.

Hahaha, what a load of shite.

If we look at the 27 games played after the World Cup, we finished above Newcastle. 

Konate is one of our main problems at the back as he does not hold his position very well, he is a bit clumsy and usually make at least one big mistake every game,  him being out is a bit of blessing to be honest. 

Matip is the better player, always has been and still is. 

11 minutes ago, Code said:

Hahaha, what a load of shite.

If we look at the 27 games played after the World Cup, we finished above Newcastle. 

That's not how a season works.

You can't just count the points during a period when it suits your team.

9 minutes ago, Mook said:

That's not how a season works.

You can't just count the points during a period when it suits your team.

You said we were dogshite for the vaste majority of the season.

Thats obviously not true, we struggled really badly at the start of the season, after that we were only significantly worse than City. 

Something these two pictures illustrates.

First our whole season, then the second half of the season for the top five. 

IMG_8803.jpeg

IMG_8804.jpeg

You can post as many stats as you want, I watched pretty much all the games last season and thought we were shite (especially given the context of what came previously).

I don't really care how other teams were doing, only that four over them were better than us over the season.

7 minutes ago, Mook said:

You can post as many stats as you want, I watched pretty much all the games last season and thought we were shite (especially given the context of what came previously).

I don't really care how other teams were doing, only that four over them were better than us over the season.

Over the season yes, but not he vaste majority of the season, thats the point.

We were the second best team the second half of last season, injuries fucked us over at the start of the season. 

We picked up and finished strong unbeaten in last 11 games of last season - Won 7, drew 4.

But prior to that were still putting in some abysmal efforts in Jan and Feb - we lost 2 back to back before that 11 game run.

Some of the lowlights even in 2nd half of season were the 3-1 defeat at Brentford in Jan, Brighton dismantling us 3-0 again in Jan.

A 3-0 good hiding at Wolves was a particular low in Feb.

Real Madrid embarrasing us in late Feb

The debacle at Bournemouth in March - after we blitzed the mancs as well made it all the more hard to take.

But that was all last season - clean slate and all that....but we are as it stands mind unbeaten in 13 league games....