You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Newcastle (A) - Sun 27th Aug 2023 (4:30pm)

Trumo

Klopp clearly doesn’t want to distract from the football or suggest that we’re weak in certain areas of the pitch. It doesn’t mean he’s not saying different in the background.

I loved Rafa, but the constant friction with the owners undoubtedly affected the football at times.

Control what you can control.

The game up there in February was a strange one. We had improved a little since the Wolves 3-0, and they probably had the League Cup final on their minds but we opened them up quite easily, early on, and Pope was sent off in the 22nd minute when we wrre already 2-0 up. We were sloppy for the rest of the game, but it was their first loss at home all season. 

There will be a few changes to the teams tomorrow. Konate was injured that day, and Gomez played, so depending on his fitness tomorrow, we'll make 4/5 changes. Bajcetic, Fabinho, Henderson, and Nunez will probably be replaced by Mac Allister, Endo, Szoboszlai, and Diaz.

The expectations are that the Newcastle changes will be Guimares and Tonali in midfield, and Gordon or Barnes on the left instead of Anderson, Longstaff and St. Maximin.

They are stronger on paper, but so are we. It's a big test for the new midfield. City dominated the ball against them last week but only scored one. I think we may need two on Sunday to get a win.

7 minutes ago, niallers said:

If konate is out, tell trent he's not wandering anywhere and play his normal 433 position, or put matip and gomez in in a traditional back 4 and drop trent or play him as a standard midfielder.

I think we will play the inverted RB fomation and Gomez will slot in if Konate misses out. Matip could struggle against the pace of Isak and Gordon. Hopefully Gomez has one of the days where he concentrates for the 90 minutes. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, LFC 6 Times said:

I still think Matip’s better than Konate. Believe his demise has been greatly exaggerated. Reign Trent in and play a conventional back 4 we’ll be fine. Newcastle are massively overrated. 3-1 to us.

We do play a traditional back 4.

We beat these home and away last season - only team to do so, if my memory serves me well. Don’t bother correcting me if it doesn’t. No Konate unfortunately, which drops my confidence of 3 points. 

Trent simply has to play, since Gomez is the realistic cover for Konate. However I’d glue him to the RB position - no walkabout under any circumstances and let zobo rip up the middle of the park. The guy is a real find and he’s going to be huge. Start Endo, freeing up Alexis to get forward too.

I think we can still win, but we’ll no keep a clean sheet.

• Upvote 1

We're playing a team owned by murderers. Amazing how quickly that's apparently become so banal that it's no longer really acknowledged. Personally, I don't forget it for a single second. I hate the bastards. And I hate the fact they're getting away with this.

• Upvote 7

12 hours ago, an tha said:

I think we need to stick to the old more rigid 4-3-3 if Konate is out. Wouldn't want to see Matip being asked to cover loads of ground and be oulled all over the shop as TAA pushes into midfield. Isak will have a field day in that scenario.

Agreed.  We needed Trent in that weird midfield role last season because we didn't have three competent and fit midfielders; now we do.