You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Romeo Lavia - another bullet dodged. Code thinks he's bang average too

El Rojo

5 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Reports we’ve lodged a £60m bid.

Yep. Jacob Steinberg from The Guardian is reporting that an agreement has been reached, but that it’s now dependent on us convincing him to join us ahead of Chelsea. If that’s the case, I suspect we’re going to have to make him one of our highest paid players and / or offer a decade long contract.  

2 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

So our hopes depend on a defensive midfielder from a team which was relegated last season conceding shedloads of goals? He'll fit right in.

And £10M more than they were initially asking?   

I assume - because I don't think our club are utterly fucking stupid - that this bid has gone in after they had some concrete assurances from the player that if a fee is agreed he will 100% join.

If we have put this bid in without those assurances, and are about to battle it out with Chelsea again, just burn the fucking club to the ground. Because we will never match their wages and them cheating cunts will happily outbid us.

On 08/08/2023 at 18:05, El Rojo said:

Heavy is the head that wears the 'Welcome...' thread starting crown, but my Mac Allister thread played a major role in getting that deal over the line so here we go. 

Looks like I picked the wrong day to stop drinking Mild Green Fairy Liquid.

I'm concerned about the Chelsea owner Boehly in this.

I think he'd love to screw us over if possible and the big advantage he has is he's completely reckless with overspending on players and offering really long contracts and if he decides to fuck us over with Lavia we wont be able to do anything about it.

As for FFP the league or Uefa stopping them overspending absolutely no chance in that happening.

We've been made to look like right nincompoop's in the last few days.

I have no issue with the attempt to sign Caicedo but if we end it paying 60m for Lavia, a fee we were all baulking at last week, well, it's all a bit silly really.

Also, what's Ibiza Jorg actually doing? We've signed two players by meeting release clauses and I suspect Alexis transfer was already underway before he came on board and by all accounts it was Hogan working on the Caicedo bid.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

We've been made to look like right nincompoop's in the last few days.

I have no issue with the attempt to sign Caicedo but if we end it paying 60m for Lavia, a fee we were all baulking at last week, well, it's all a bit silly really.

Also, what's Ibiza Jorg actually doing? We've signed two players by meeting release clauses and I suspect Alexis transfer was already underway before he came on board and by all accounts it was Hogan working on the Caicedo bid.

We baulked at 50m not 60m - way to do biz reds - nice one 

£60m is about £30m too much for this kid. Might turn out amazing one day but we need a solid aggressive defensive midfielder who covers shitloads of ground and wins absolutely everything. He’s not that. Basically paying for potential and homegrown status. And he still might not even choose us over Chelsea.

Just take the leftover cash and give it to Michael Edwards to come back. 

• Upvote 2

• dave u changed the title to Romeo Lavia - another bullet dodged. Code thinks he's bang average too