You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

54 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

We're in a good place if we're being sniffy about the prospect of bringing in World Cup winning Argentinian midfielders. 

He's as near to a complete midfielder as we'll get at that money. I'd have him over Declan Rice anyway. 

I've seen/watched plenty of the lad and really don't understand being against signing him, as has been said he is versatile across the midfield, can score a goal and is decent on and off the ball, he'll improve under Klopp as well.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Tenfolder said:

I've seen/watched plenty of the lad and really don't understand being against signing him, as has been said he is versatile across the midfield, can score a goal and is decent on and off the ball, he'll improve under Klopp as well.

From what I’ve seen, which I admit isn’t a huge sample size, apart from lacking a yard of pace, I think he’s been very good. 

The only thing that puts me off Mac Allister is the price tag, for the money Brighton seem to want for their players I think we could find better value elsewhere. I really like him as a player, but if the rumoured £80m is true then no, that's not a good deal.

I mean I love Bellingham as a player, he's amazing. I wouldn't go anywhere near him for the price that Dortmund are asking for, either.

1 hour ago, El Dangerous said:

Gotta admit, if Arsenal start next season with a midfield of Rice, Caicedo and Odegaard I’ll be very jealous. That’s almost a perfect midfield. Buy a top forward and they’re likely contenders again. 

You're forgetting they're Arsenal. Fuck them. Effete wankers.

10 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

The only thing that puts me off Mac Allister is the price tag, for the money Brighton seem to want for their players I think we could find better value elsewhere. I really like him as a player, but if the rumoured £80m is true then no, that's not a good deal.

I mean I love Bellingham as a player, he's amazing. I wouldn't go anywhere near him for the price that Dortmund are asking for, either.

Price shouldn't be something we care about, let the money men worry about that. Next season we could have a midfield costing £200m for 8 players. Our rivals will have all spent 2 and 3 times that amount on midfield. 

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

So if they spend £170 million on two midfielders plus maybe another £80 mill on a top forward they’d like be contenders?
Just the small end of quarter of a billion quid…

Beat me to it.

28 minutes ago, No2 said:

Price shouldn't be something we care about, let the money men worry about that.

"Ticket prices have gone up by how much?"

People can argue about where the money for signings should come from until they're blue in the face but given the third largest revenue stream for a club is matchday it always baffles me how 'it's not my money' and 'football is unaffordable' seem completely separate in the minds of supporters.

Now that doesn't mean it's something a single club can take a stand against, or that we shouldn't spend money on players as a result, but any variation of 'it's not my money' seems completely asinine.

49 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

"Ticket prices have gone up by how much?"

People can argue about where the money for signings should come from until they're blue in the face but given the third largest revenue stream for a club is matchday it always baffles me how 'it's not my money' and 'football is unaffordable' seem completely separate in the minds of supporters.

Now that doesn't mean it's something a single club can take a stand against, or that we shouldn't spend money on players as a result, but any variation of 'it's not my money' seems completely asinine.

It doesn't baffle you, you're just a tedious clown.

22 minutes ago, Code said:

Depending on the timeframe here, I’d say not very much. 

It's a more general point about the disconnect between what clubs spend and who ultimately foots the bill because you can be damned sure that a club will try and get away with lumping cost on to the fans as much as humanly possible.

'Not our money' has always been an odd concept in that instance, it's a bit like people who run up massive credit card bills under the belief it's 'not real money' forgetting that they always sit at the bottom of the chain and will always be the ones who ultimately pay.

29 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

It's a more general point about the disconnect between what clubs spend and who ultimately foots the bill because you can be damned sure that a club will try and get away with lumping cost on to the fans as much as humanly possible.

'Not our money' has always been an odd concept in that instance, it's a bit like people who run up massive credit card bills under the belief it's 'not real money' forgetting that they always sit at the bottom of the chain and will always be the ones who ultimately pay.

I agree with this, however, do you work it smart and go big on what you need and max out the cards on an asset that won’t lose that much in value while being good enough to ensure you don’t need to spend anymore while it’s bringing in the big bucks for you, or spend a little bit less on something similar that you’ve just seen online that turns out to be a load of shite that you don’t know what to do with and can’t return so leave it hiding in the cupboard for 5 years while trying to keep earning enough to pay the amex down. 

Go big or go to shit street 

11 minutes ago, Red74 said:

I agree with this, however, do you work it smart and go big on what you need and max out the cards on an asset that won’t lose that much in value while being good enough to ensure you don’t need to spend anymore while it’s bringing in the big bucks for you, or spend a little bit less on something similar that you’ve just seen online that turns out to be a load of shite that you don’t know what to do with and can’t return so leave it hiding in the cupboard for 5 years while trying to keep earning enough to pay the amex down. 

Go big or go to shit street 

Like I said in the original post, not suggesting for a minute that clubs shouldn't spend as a result, in fact what they should do is find a way to spend without passing those costs on to fans and that's true of every club (although I suspect that would have to come as a mandate from governing bodies).