You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

19 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I don’t recall seeing him play, but I’ve heard he’s slow. Like, as slow as / slower than last season’s Fabinho slow, which would be a problem.

I wouldn't call him slow - but he isn't quick.

But the Fabinho comparisons (Fabinho before he broke) are very valid.

My best mates wife is Portugese and her arl feller is a massive Benfica fan and he raves about him, says he would be absolutely brilliant for us - says will be devoed if he goes. Feller strikes me as pretty knowledgeable generally about game.

3 minutes ago, skend04 said:

That additional £10m for Lavia is a stupidity tax I take it. What a fucking shambles we are.

Keep in mind that, while we’ve agreed the deal, we’re again dealing with a player stated to have a preference for joining Chelsea.

It’s only a tax if we end up paying it. We can be noble failures and get N’Didi on a deadline day loan instead!

5 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Keep in mind that, while we’ve agreed the deal, we’re again dealing with a player stated to have a preference for joining Chelsea.

It’s only a tax if we end up paying it. We can be noble failures and get N’Didi on a deadline day loan instead!

To be honest, he'd be dumb as he left City to ensure he got playing time. And Chelsea, even though they are gaming the FFP can't game the 11 players at any one time rule. He just wouldn't play as much as he would here as they've already got a zillion midfielders.

5 minutes ago, skend04 said:

That additional £10m for Lavia is a stupidity tax I take it. What a fucking shambles we are.

But JohnnyH (who likes to remind us all how stupid British Football fans are) said we were doing the right thing by haggling over a couple of million with a few days to go until the start of the season.

Mind you, he also said we were definitely signing Jude Bellingham.

20 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Guardian reporter…We’ve agreed a £60m deal for Lavia but need to convince him to join us ahead of Chelsea.

https://x.com/jacobsteinberg/status/1691010818349928448?s=46&t=JxFNarAyLj26Setga_WNDg

I hope he tells us to go fuck ourselfs after the way we have treated him over the last 5 days 

4 minutes ago, Mook said:

But JohnnyH (who likes to remind us all how stupid British Football fans are) said we were doing the right thing by haggling over a couple of million with a few days to go until the start of the season.

Mind you, he also said we were definitely signing Jude Bellingham.

Johnny H.

John Henry.

Have you not worked it out yet?

• Haha 2

We really have to start sorting centre half out too or next summer will be similar to this but just dicking about in that position instead.

We can't roll on into next season with what will be a 33 year old and in decline VVD a 33 year old out of contract Matip and Gomez and Konate.

For my money we shouldn't be rolling into this season with such a situation....be proactive now FFS and phase the rebuild over now, Jan and next summer.

Just now, an tha said:

Where has Lavia said he prefers to join Chelsea?

A single tweet from Tolovieri. Virtually everyone else says we’re his preferred destination. It may be he was open to moving to Chelsea if we didn’t up our fee. Now?

I have a feeling this preference to join Chelsea is based on the contract being offered. I have zero doubt that Chelsea can and will offer Caicedo and Lavia (and importantly, their agents) fees/wages that we would refuse to match given our particular wage structure. They haven't released the figures on Caicedo's supposed 8 year deal, but I bet it's something pretty damn extravagant. No reason for them not to do the same for Lavia, and if he just wants to move up to play for a top club, why wouldn't he choose the team that would offer him significantly more wages? Hope it's not the case, but there's literally no other good reason currently for random players to simply prefer Chelsea over us. It's not like they supported them as a kid, and I think the whole I wanna stick to my word as I've been in contact with them for a long time thing is complete BS. It's about money for the player and the agent.

12 minutes ago, an tha said:

Where has Lavia said he prefers to join Chelsea?

In fairness was wondering this to, thought i'd missed something as mostly anything id seen was his preference was Liverpool.

Either way absolutely hilarious if this does come off, 10m than we'd have had to have paid for him had we just not fucked around and we absolutely deserve the dickhead tax in this instance. South coast clubs rubbing their hands this past week and a bit.