You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

3 hours ago, dave u said:

It might be, given that Klopp was adamant he wanted everything done early yet we're still fucking around trying to get Lavia over the line just a couple of weeks before the season starts. We were being linked with him before the Fabinho move came about, but we only made a bid when Henderson left and Fab was almost completed.

Incoming funds defo should not be the catalyst (we should be loaded given the savings on wages and lack of spending year on year) but it sure feels like it is.

I think we're in a difficult position with a side that, despite needing the money, is refusing to accept that the player's market value is not what they claim. Seen it time and time again in the last couple of years, the numbers talked about re. Bellingham were nonsense and even some Hammers fans are disappointed in getting only £100m for Rice. The Grealish move fucked the market and the Saudi's have thrown confusion on top of that.

£50m is taking the piss and everyone knows it. But, we're committed and, after long talks with the player to get him onboard, we're in a position of having to play brinkmanship a bit. In the meantime we might not be able to really go for an alternative without upsetting the agreements with the player. There's got to be a tipping point somewhere and we need to get there sooner rather than later, I get the frustration.

Doesn't really excuse the lack of activity on the defensive end of things either, but maybe that extra £10/15m has an impact on the players we'd be looking at there. I don't know. I understand if people are annoyed at that, but £30-40m on that defensive body, plus another midfielder would take us to the region of the £180m plus sales people were saying they expected (even with the absolute bargain we got with Alexis). If getting Lavia at a more reasonable rate turns a Van der Ven into a more proven option, I'm up for waiting a bit. If it means nothing happens I'll be pretty annoyed when Matip and Konate inevitably pick up knocks.

I think a lot of the wage savings will be earmarked for getting Trent on a new long-term deal and extending van Dijk. Regardless, I think it's going to comfortably be the biggest spend we've seen under FSG without a major departure funding it. 

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I think a lot of the wage savings will be earmarked for getting Trent on a new long-term deal and extending van Dijk. Regardless, I think it's going to comfortably be the biggest spend we've seen under FSG without a major departure funding it. 

Trent, Yes, but I doubt we will be extending Van Dijk. He's 32 with two years left on his contract and is clearly in decline. It wouldn't surprise me if we are hoping to cash in on him to Saudi Arabia next summer. Either way, I'll be amazed if he gets another contact here. 

15 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

Trent, Yes, but I doubt we will be extending Van Dijk. He's 32 with two years left on his contract and is clearly in decline. It wouldn't surprise me if we are hoping to cash in on him to Saudi Arabia next summer. Either way, I'll be amazed if he gets another contact here. 

Yeah, maybe. I could easily see an agreement for a season or two. Maybe if we get a shit hot LCB now it will change that though.

Salah's a big question mark too. Fully expecting him to be off next season though.

28 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I think we're in a difficult position with a side that, despite needing the money, is refusing to accept that the player's market value is not what they claim. Seen it time and time again in the last couple of years, the numbers talked about re. Bellingham were nonsense and even some Hammers fans are disappointed in getting only £100m for Rice. The Grealish move fucked the market and the Saudi's have thrown confusion on top of that.

£50m is taking the piss and everyone knows it. But, we're committed and, after long talks with the player to get him onboard, we're in a position of having to play brinkmanship a bit. In the meantime we might not be able to really go for an alternative without upsetting the agreements with the player. There's got to be a tipping point somewhere and we need to get there sooner rather than later, I get the frustration.

Doesn't really excuse the lack of activity on the defensive end of things either, but maybe that extra £10/15m has an impact on the players we'd be looking at there. I don't know. I understand if people are annoyed at that, but £30-40m on that defensive body, plus another midfielder would take us to the region of the £180m plus sales people were saying they expected (even with the absolute bargain we got with Alexis). If getting Lavia at a more reasonable rate turns a Van der Ven into a more proven option, I'm up for waiting a bit. If it means nothing happens I'll be pretty annoyed when Matip and Konate inevitably pick up knocks.

Well that isn't going to be hard, we've spent fuck all over the years.

We have the third biggest revenues in the world and we just "took the piss" by getting 40m for Fab, this is the market we exist in. The players 'market value' is defined by the market, welcome to free market economics. We should be spending close 250M this year and that's not just because I like a big number - my favorite signing to date has been Mac for 35m - but because that is what our rebuild will cost in the market we exist in. Welcome to elite football in 2023. These threads will always have people trying to justify why the club can't bring in the players we need, every single summer. Either we are waiting for the right player, or we have too many players on the books, or covid, or the stadium development, or the wage bill is high, Salah's contract, klopp likes a small squad bla bla fucking bla. 

Ultimately there is only one reason - we have shit, ambitionless owners who only like to spend money on things that increase their asset value, and soon they'll be selling another chunk of that off to fund their other investment projects. They don't give a fuck about winning titles or trophies.

• Upvote 1

The market is defined by what people are willing to pay. The market is stilted because selling clubs are expecting more than buyers are willing to pay and that impacts their own ability to spend sustainably. It's a schism that needs to be worked through, not bypassed. Welcome to the free market.

I think Andre looks a good option for the additional midfielder. Ideally flexible enough to get experience in one of the two higher positions before moving back to the 6 as the season goes on.

Wouldn't want him coming straight in as our main 6 signing.

2 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

What a strategy! Proper amateur hour at this Club at times.

This is a classic of the genre.

He says we're looking for more players and it's "amateur hour".

If he'd said we're not, you would have exploded in a cataclysm of shit and bile.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Rojo said:

I reckon the Saudi money flooding the market has slowed everything down to a standstill. It's changed the context of the whole thing.

Folks on here were talking about it taking 5-10 years for the Saudis to do their thing. In just one window they are making serious waves and if a young player like Osimhen signs on, those who are suggesting it is just old past it players will be getting nervous. 

No question Salah goes there next year.

Every top player in Europe will be offered the same choice Henderson and Fabinho had next summer - some may refuse to go but it instantly has put Liverpool firmly in the second tier - it will decimate historic sides the likes of Roma, Inter, Napoli, Atletico, etc - forget about the bottom half of the Prem. Those sides will be paying well over the odds for scraps and Championship players.

Ironically, we already will have done so.

4 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

We've signed two first-teamers and are negotiating for a third.  This is shaping up to be the best transfer window in a very long time.

Think that shows how shit they've been for a while

6 hours ago, El Dangerous said:

Yeah but you understand why people are bitching and moaning. We’ve let a shit load of players go and signed two after being told of this mythical rebuild then being told that Klopp wants all his players in place by preseason then selling two more first teamers instead. 

What I don’t understand are the people bending over backwards to defend a multibillion pound hedge fund. 

The minutes of players we’ve lost and signed have been posted multiple times.

Just because we let 9 or whatever go doesn’t mean we need 9 in.

As much as we’d all have liked all our business done already, it’s also unrealistic. The market is somewhat slow at the moment and lots of clubs seem to be struggling (as I referenced but that was ignored seemingly). I don’t know why.  

Nobody is defending FSG. Although to what degree we will disagree but everybody accepts we need more. Unfortunately, like a lot of clubs business, it looks like business is going towards the end of the window - there is a month left.

Just now, The Midnight Rambler said:

I see Klopp’s a little nervous about the Saudi Transfer window not closing till mid September.

As im sure is any manager with even slightly desirable players on their squad, hasn't Pep even been moaning on about the Saudi stuff?