You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

10 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

You're nitpicking there. After the draw with Arsenal, we won 7 on the trot and drew our final two. That's probably title-winning form or near enough. It was a marked improvement on previous performances. 

In how many of those games did we play well? How many did we look in control of and win well?

Yes there was an improvement in results and wins are of course the ultimate measure....but we were still far from convincing for a lot of that period - and for me a big reason for that was because a lot of the same issues existed in midfield that had killed us all season - the difference was that we found some better solutions/tweaked how we played and the results picked up.

Things like this still happened and will continue if we persist with past it players....

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Shocked if Hendo does go but I've got no idea why with how football is now.

I hope if Fabinho and Henderson do go it's not just Lavia we get. I've never really seen Lavia so don't get the hype but surely we need a more experienced player to come in straight away?

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

In how many of those games did we play well? How many did we look in control of and win well?

Yes there was an improvement in results and wins are of course the ultimate measure....but we were still far from convincing for a lot of that period - and for me a big reason for that was because a lot of the same issues existed in midfield that had killed us all season - the difference was that we found some better solutions/tweaked how we played and the results picked up.

Things like this still happened and will continue if we persist with past it players....

You got me there!

We'll need two if they both go and one has to be experienced - not an old timer, but played 150+ games etc. Anything less is unacceptable, especially if they sign Lavia who is still a kid and inexperienced. 

I still don't believe Hendo will go. Fabinho might and we should be all over a £40m bid. Even if he hadn't had the horrendous season he did, he's about to turn 30 and we've run the legs off of him for 5 years. This is the right time to pull the trigger. 

We should only let Henderson go for a ridiculously high fee. Something that starts north of £30m is palatable. Not saying we’d get that, but we should certainly ask for it.

The club is in transition. It needs his off the field leadership skills to help navigate them through the next twelve months. Any buying club will understand that this is a big part of what they’d be gaining. It’s up to Liverpool to put a proper value on that.

Losing him and Milner at the same time is too much. 

I’m on the evolution bus. The one marked revolution is too fast for my tastes. 

2 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

He is a good player mate, huge huge upgrade on the likes of Henderson and the current Fabinho.

IMO, he’s a Moroccan Jamie Redknapp. 

A good player, a good highlights player, not good enough for the level we aspire to.

Losing a lot of experience in midfield will probably lead to an inconsistent season. Let’s see what happens and who we bring in.

I reckon we should make move for Caecido and a mid 20 year old midfielder. Someone who’s done a bit. Can’t see Lavia at 50 million. That’s a crazy fee.

54 minutes ago, redrosetints said:

It’s balance isn’t it, we don’t want to throw the baby out with the bath water but equally we need to refresh. 

In 2002 we got rid of a lot of experience off the back of the treble and then finishing 2nd, bought in Diouf n Diao to kick in but and regressed. 

We’ll never know what these sliding doors opportunities will bring good or bad, so it’s one of those where we just got to trust the mgmt to get it right.

I would echo those putting importance on culture and leadership and wouldn’t want to lose Hendo as well as Millie, but can see why people are saying they didn’t ‘lead’ last year, even if I think that was a collective team mental and physical fatigue issue from the failed quadruple effort.

I’d also echo those saying throwing a whole new midfield together could take a while to get, but maybe Klopp wants a total rebuild this year, to give him a full 3 years with a fresh reshaped squad, before he leaves ?

still need a CB too Colwill or Gvardiol 

I agree it's a balance. And making any changes is a risk. As is making no decision and just saying "he's been good in the past, let's stick with him because he's a good lad for the dressing room". What a player can contribute on the pitch has to be first and foremost in any decision for me. After we lost to Bournemouth, I'm pretty sure if we were told thiago, fab and Henderson could be moved on in the summer for 60-100m between them, everyone would have been all on board. Nobody from that midfield of last season did enough to be unobtainable this summer. It may not be ideal to let 1 or all 3 of those senior players go, but it's not ideal holding onto them all either. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

IMO, he’s a Moroccan Jamie Redknapp. 

A good player, a good highlights player, not good enough for the level we aspire to.

Fuck me, amrabat isn't Jamie redknapp good. Nowhere near it. And I wouldn't want a young Jamie redknapp in our side. I think amrabat is about the quality of a grifter for a team like Everton. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

If either / both of these players are to leave, we need at least one replacement.

I’ll be annoyed if are money received goes to offset what we paid for Mac Allister and Szoboszlai.

Is right.

There is no way we should be saying ta-ra to either or both without strengthening and for my money we'd be wanting to bring 2 in as I feel we needed 1 anyway.

15 minutes ago, an tha said:

If you break down those results also,

Leeds 1-6 Liverpool, A victory against a hopeless manager with a team all over the place.

Liverpool 3-2 Forest, A nervy home victory against a team in a relegation battle.

West Ham 1-2 Liverpool A good hard fought victory over a team struggling to juggle European and domestic football

Liverpool 4-3 Spurs A seemingly easy victory that was almost thrown away, only for Spurs to Spurs it up at the end. 

Liverpool 1-0 Fulham and Brentford. Two hard fought victories 

Leicester City 0-3 Liverpool an easy victory over a terrible side that were worse than Everton.

The run at the end of last season reminded me of the sort of runs we used to go on years ago when the pressure was off. Far from convincing. 

I’m ok with him and, if so, Fab going. Our midfield was an absolute shadow of its former self last season. We need a new midfield and if Henderson’s not happy in the ‘Milner’ role, thanks for your service and good luck. Need to buy now.

• Upvote 1