You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Napoli (A) - CL, Wed 7th Sep 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

Awful all over the park tonight other than Diaz.

A special mention for the back four in that first half though, schoolboy stuff all over the shop there. 

The only consolation I can take from that is the last time I can remember us taking a hiding like that (Spurs), Klopp seemed to sort things out quite swiftly & we went on a good run. I'm almost certainly clutching at straws though.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if it’s just a jaded feeling after last season, you play an almost perfect season, keep going past you’re already burnt out weeks ago only to lose the league by a point to an oil state and the CL to one goal despite dominating the game. You might just think, what’s the point?

Just now, Moo said:

Anyone judging Nunez in this shitshow of a team is being very unfair to say the least.

Pretty much, they closed up the space and tried to pick us off on the break after Diaz' goal. Wasn't much to go with without any kind of movement to create space. Mind you, trying to turn back into a man lying on the floor is a hell of a decision to make in the box...

Well, that was truly fucking awful. 

It’s not like we go to Naples and win all the time. We’ve got an awful record there. But, we’ve never lost that badly. 

It’s out the way now and it mightn’t be that catastrophic a result to us progressing through the group if we beat Rangers twice and Ajax once and a draw too. 

But, the trajectory is worrying. You can’t rule out Núñez as a decent signing yet. But, he doesn’t look suited to the system and we don’t know how to use him properly yet. Ferdinand is spot on here too. We’ve got too many important players whose form is nowhere where it has been and needs to be. 

We’re not in a crisis yet. But, we’re heading in that direction. The Wolves will smell blood on Saturday. Win that and we’re 10 points from the last 12 in the league. Which isn’t awful. Lose or drop points and it’s been an awful week and could be awful for what looks like an already damaged team morale. 

3 minutes ago, Moo said:

I don't think any of our fullbacks can defend particularly well, so the danger is we drop deep and still concede loads. The answer is not obvious at all. We can all shout about trying a new system but what system and who plays?  We could see how we go with a conventional 442 but I wouldn't be confident it would work out well with the players at our disposal.

I think we need to try 4231.

Full backs as full backs, no fucking around, so that Matip and Virgil aren't chasing balls pumped down the flanks.  

Two midfielders battling.

Three attackers playing behind Nunez.

And then in January we need to buy another similar striker. If we're going to play with a Nunez then we have to commit to it, buy someone like Ivan Toney.  

I'd happily raise money by selling Trent and Salah.  Their regression is shocking, to the point it looks attitude-based, and that cannot be good to have around the team. 

Our predictability is driving me nuts. Whenever we get within 10 yards of the oppositions penalty area we try the same clipped inswinging cross that is instantly cleared by the oppositions first defender.

It has a success rate of of 0.000001% , basically because every fucker knows exactly what is coming.

Just fucking do something different once in a while FFS

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I think we need to try 4231.

Full backs as full backs, no fucking around, so that Matip and Virgil aren't chasing balls pumped down the flanks.  

Two midfielders battling.

Three attackers playing behind Nunez.

And then in January we need to buy another similar striker. If we're going to play with a Nunez then we have to commit to it, buy someone like Ivan Toney.  

I'd happily raise money by selling Trent and Salah.  Their regression is shocking, to the point it looks attitude-based, and that cannot be good to have around the team. 

He's such a good player.

Sell Trent, eh no.

Diaz did well, Thiago looked good when he came on, Matip was a lot better than the rest of the defenders, Alisson was pretty blameless, Elliot did his best and needs more help from the senior players, and the other substitutes couldn't really be blamed (although Nunez really isn't looking good). Everyone else was awful. Milner is looking his age. Fabinho is looking Milner's age. I'm starting to think the real van Dijk was abducted by aliens in the summer and replaced by an inferior clone. Gomez was dozy as hell. Mo looks like he's forgotten how to play football. Trent did produce some nice moments but he was also woeful for the third goal and there were also a lot of the overhit and underhit passes we've been seeing all season. Robertson needs to be dropped for Tsmikas for a while. 

What an absolute clusterfuck of a start to the season. I've no idea what's wrong or how it can be fixed but unless it's sorted soon then we'll be out of the champions league as well as the title race. Ajax will rip us apart at Anfield if we produce another display like that. It's embarrassing how easy we are to score against at the moment. 

3 minutes ago, Moo said:

Anyone judging Nunez in this shitshow of a team is being very unfair to say the least.

Yes, probably, though he's also not gambling on crosses. 

I feel sorry for him I guess. He didn't control the fee but he'll be very aware of it, and he'll want to score goals to feel worthy of his shirt, but it seems that all the instincts he had at Benfica aren't useful to him here.  So the harder he tries, the shitter he looks.