You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coffee machines

Redder Lurtz

I fucking love coffee, me. Mainly a belting strong one in the morning. Currently I'm using ground beans out of a packet in a one-mug cafetiere every morning. It's great but I want a decent machine. 

It's 2022 ffs. I want to walk into the kitchen in the morning and press a button that'll make me either a machiato, an espresso or a cappuccino. Preferably from freshly ground beans. I don't mind having to use water and milk reservoirs. It doesn't have to be hooked up to a cow and the water mains. I'm not mental. 

Any of you perverts got anything like that? 

12 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

I fucking love coffee, me. Mainly a belting strong one in the morning. Currently I'm using ground beans out of a packet in a one-mug cafetiere every morning. It's great but I want a decent machine. 

It's 2022 ffs. I want to walk into the kitchen in the morning and press a button that'll make me either a machiato, an espresso or a cappuccino. Preferably from freshly ground beans. I don't mind having to use water and milk reservoirs. It doesn't have to be hooked up to a cow and the water mains. I'm not mental. 

Any of you perverts got anything like that? 

Got one of these as gift from my wife for Christmas for my garden office. I love it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Breville-Espresso-Automatic-Cappuccino-VCF149/dp/B09C1PD3XS/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?crid=3SRLNIBLO01BK&keywords=breville+coffee&qid=1660586446&sprefix=breville+coffee%2Caps%2C74&sr=8-8

• Upvote 1

Yeah Breville/Sage are a good brand. Just be careful once you get into coffee, it is a massive rabbit hole and if you get hooked on James Hoffmann (coffee youtuber) like half a dozen of us on here are, then prepare to spend!

There are loads of different ways to have coffee and certain machines that correspond to that. You could for instance pick up a cheap milk frother (eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234653973457?epid=2254440106&hash=item36a2777bd1:g:vO0AAOSw~jBi8vG9) and add that frothed up milk to your cafetiere for a sort of modified cappuccino. If you have your heart set on Espresso then maybe machines are for you, but if you want decent Espresso you probably need a decent grinder as well and you need to have a long hard think about what sort of outlay you want on decent Espresso. 

If I was you I would try to slowly build up your coffee equipment bit by bit until you have a clear idea of preferred brewing method, versatility and budget. When I knew a lot less about coffee I was sure I needed a coffee machine and while I occasionally use it, I tend to reach for my aeropress and my next purchase may be a clever dripper, both of which are under £30.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I'm liking that. Does that froth yer milk? 

2 hours ago, Karl_b said:

I've yet to experience a good cup of coffee from a bean-to-cup machine. As I've detailed in the [original and best] coffee thread, I'm a filter coffee lover.

Hoffmann has you covered though:

We have filter coffee, great tasting with no faff, but some machines are hopeless.

We had a Kitchenaid one, which we'd had for a couple of years that made lovely coffee.

We had an online voucher for Costco which had to be used, saw a Melitta and bought that and gave the Kitchenaid to my lad.

Big mistake.

The head of the Kitchenaid was a shower type so all the coffee got saturated, the Melitta didn't so only the centre of the coffee got saturated  resulting in a weak, watery brew.

It got jibbed very quickly and we bought another Kitchenaid. 

6 hours ago, Karl_b said:

I've yet to experience a good cup of coffee from a bean-to-cup machine. As I've detailed in the [original and best] coffee thread, I'm a filter coffee lover.

Hoffmann has you covered though:

Has Karl just blasted open a new battleground in the TLW beans war?

• Upvote 2

We had this one for about 4 years but it died - it had made 18000 cups of coffee according to it's stats!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I6E79XS/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=&psc=1

We then, after a lot of research, went for this one and it's brilliant for a reasonable price

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00400OMU0/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

1 hour ago, Redder Lurtz said:

If that was bean to cup I'd fucking marry it. 

Mate seriously fuck off the idea of bean to cup, the convenience is minimal. Get a grinder and a machine for that same money and get much better results 

5 hours ago, Remmie said:

Mate seriously fuck off the idea of bean to cup, the convenience is minimal. Get a grinder and a machine for that same money and get much better results 

I just don't want to have to twat around in the mornings, grinding shit and tamping it down and screwing things in. I'm a very important person with places to go and things to do very urgently. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

I just don't want to have to twat around in the mornings, grinding shit and tamping it down and screwing things in. I'm a very important person with places to go and things to do very urgently. 

Fair enough, I quite enjoy all the nerdy preparation myself but there are times where you just want a frigging cup

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/08/2022 at 09:47, Harry's Lad said:

We have filter coffee, great tasting with no faff, but some machines are hopeless.

We had a Kitchenaid one, which we'd had for a couple of years that made lovely coffee.

We had an online voucher for Costco which had to be used, saw a Melitta and bought that and gave the Kitchenaid to my lad.

Big mistake.

The head of the Kitchenaid was a shower type so all the coffee got saturated, the Melitta didn't so only the centre of the coffee got saturated  resulting in a weak, watery brew.

It got jibbed very quickly and we bought another Kitchenaid. 

The fucking thing stopped working this morning mid brew, just outside of the guarantee. 

Absolute bastard.

On 17/08/2022 at 06:37, Redder Lurtz said:

You need an Nespresso machine then

insert Pod

place cup on tray

press button

hey presto

coffee**

**so long as you’ve put water in the reservoir before hand