You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

38 minutes ago, J-V said:

Not that we’re signing him but is De Jong even all that.  I’m yet to see him stand out in a match

Depends who else comes in during the Jan/summer window because despite his quality he doesn't fullfill the 'type' that most people seemed to want last window

5 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Klopp and Lijneders have both said this in the press and in print. They may well pulling a party line but to say they they haven’t or posters drawing conclusions from the horses mouths is nonsense, is fundamentally incorrect and dismissive of people using evidence to draw conclusions. 

I’m not really arsed about our signings over 7 years ago. FWIW, when we needed to strengthen in 2016 onwards, we couldn’t afford or weren’t an attractive option for the absolute elite players. We’ll never know if Brandt or Gotze were the clubs first choice or Klopp’s first choice. We signed Salah and Mane and they were runaway successes. 

In terms of Shaq, Minamino

etc, I don’t disagree they weren’t first choice. However, we signed those players after just getting to the CL Final, getting 97 points and winning the CL and then getting 99 points. We didn’t need players capable of displacing players, we already had the best. We needed players happy to play second fiddle and contribute when required - which they all more or less did. 

IMO, we’re in VVD territory. Like we needed a game changer in defence, we know need a  game changer in the middle of the park. I’ve read the players we were linked with around the time of VVD were Davison Sanchez, Koulibally, Laporte & Giminez. All good players (well, maybe not Sanchez), none of them are VVD. 

Laporte cost City £20m less the summer we got VVD. 

So this is why I think Klopp is holding out for Bellingham. We are now an absolute elite club and destination for elite players. We could signed Neves, Nunes, Tielemans, Caicedo, Laimer etc etc but the point is, they aren’t Jude Bellingham and Jude Bellingham costs a lot more.

The real issue will be if we don’t sign Bellingham and then fingers need pointing all round. 

That’s my opinion of the matter. Agree or don’t. It might well be wildly incorrect, it probably is, I think I’ve clearly broken down my thinking over the past few posts. 

Imo towards the end of the window I think Klopp had moved away from it being first choice or no one, otherwise I don't think we would have even entertained a player with a record as dodgy as Arthur's. 

He said we needed a midfielder openly what two weeks before the end of the window and later that he would risk a bit more than the owners. 

I thought Pearce was emphasising his point about the difficulties faced by Ward by citing Arthur as being the best they could get.

3 hours ago, J-V said:

Not that we’re signing him but is De Jong even all that.  I’m yet to see him stand out in a match

De Jong is sensational, he would be brilliant for us. We'd still need another midfielder to replace/rotate with Fabinho, as I think he'd play further forward alongside someone like Elliott for us, but he would be absolutely great in our midfield.

The problem, as others have noted, would be wages. He's rumoured to be on 25m/season or something at Barca. If he were on a free, that would make him our most expensive player overall, combining wages/fee amortisation. And since we'd have to pay a hefty fee as well, it would be well over that.

Never going to happen.

What are everyone's realistic, both in terms of name and profile, targets for midfield over the next two windows, I'll accept Bellingham as realistic for the time being but someone like Valverde would be out (because a few will try and add him).

You have to add them to a group consisting of Henderson, Fabinho, Thiago, Elliot, Jones and Bajcetic (Milner can be drafted in as a wild card to fill an 8th/9th choice if you need him).

Show your workings

7 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

What are everyone's realistic, both in terms of name and profile, targets for midfield over the next two windows, I'll accept Bellingham as realistic for the time being but someone like Valverde would be out (because a few will try and add him).

You have to add them to a group consisting of Henderson, Fabinho, Thiago, Elliot, Jones and Bajcetic (Milner can be drafted in as a wild card to fill an 8th/9th choice if you need him).

Show your workings

Enzo Fernandez of Benfica to replace Fabinho.

6 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Enzo Fernandez of Benfica to replace Fabinho.

If you could get Bellingham, Fernandez and someone like Manu Kone as a cheaper alternative to Caicedo you'd be having a decent 6 months.

You'd probably only be able to get one of Fernandez or Bellingham though.

37 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Serious come and get me plea from Bellingham tonight with that anonymous display. He’s moved £10m closer to FSG’s valuation. 

Scores a Gerrardesque goal in the first game and gets subbed for Hendo in the 2nd cannot do much more can he? 

20 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Show your workings

Bellingham and Gomes, at a push Bellingham and Caciedo. 

3 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Depends who else comes in during the Jan/summer window because despite his quality he doesn't fullfill the 'type' that most people seemed to want last window

Is there any current midfielder that does that though? 

The likes of Gerrard and lampard etc.... Are a thing of the past, unfortunately. I can't think of a single cebtral midfielder in world football today that could score like those two I mentioned. 

The current midfielders are probably a bit tidier on the ball, and better at pressing. But none of them are getting 15 league goals a season, that's for sure. 

Personally, I'd like us to try and sign a replacement for wijnaldum, someone his rarely injured and great at keeping the ball in tight spaces, the only one I can think of, is barella from inter Milan, but I can't see him leaving Italy. 

27 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Show your workings

Neves from Wolves in Jan 35-40m

Caciedo in Summer 30-40m

Neuhaus from Moenchengladbach in Summer 30m

A much better spend of circa 100m than just Jude Bellingham.

5 hours ago, Lee909 said:

This whole Klopp wanted x as first choice and had to be convinced y was a better choice is nonsense. This same shit happens within clubs all the time. It's the chief scout/sporting directors job to bring the options, and then if they think the manager isn't right to convince them. 

It comes from the same lying cunts that used to bang on about Mbappe being the reason we weren’t spending. 

16 hours ago, Scott_M said:

We could replace Hendo or Thiago, what guarantees are those that the 2nd tier players (ie not perceived as being as good as Bellingham / Touchameni) would be good enough long term?

Surely we’ve been bitten enough times down the years setting for players not 1st choice?

Bezzies from Boston & Arthur.. Hilarious. Again, an assumption / opinion on your behalf.

The point of “significant” funds is how “significant” they were. Again, Klopp & Lijnders both have recently said first choice or nothing. Maybe £40m was available for Neves or Coincedo, maybe Klopp said “no” because £100m wasn’t there for Bellingham.

I’m very sorry, taking the manger and assistant managers recent comments (ie within the last 6 months, not dragging old news up from 2016), then showing how we behaved for a first choice in 2017 and drawing an opinion from it, isnt fucking rocket science.

I didn’t say Klopp stood up to Ward, he stood up to the analysts. It was reported yesterday, so yes you did miss it. 

Our assistant manager is an irrelevance. Ha. Brilliant. He’s an irrelevance because he’s not agreeing with your opinion. Same as how you called the LFC covering journalists “Payroll Journalists” to discredit them when they don’t back up with what you’re saying. But now you can twist a tweet from Joyce or Pearce because it might suit what you’re saying?

There is more holes in your thesis’ than there has been in our midfield this season.

Gobble, gobble etc etc. Boring.

Again, I’ve broken down how I’ve come to my opinion using the knowledge of those more well informed & used past events to try and take a guess at what might happen. Like it or don’t, I don’t give a fuck. I’d rather attempt to have a reasoned opinion than just slinging opinionated shit and hoping some sticks. 

You either don’t understand or, more likely, don’t want to understand the opinions I’ve drawn. We’re not going to agree on this so let’s leave it here.

Enjoy your evening. X.

You fucking massive bellend serf. Doff your cap and beg them for any crumbs they'll give you. 

14 hours ago, HBenn said:

Imo towards the end of the window I think Klopp had moved away from it being first choice or no one, otherwise I don't think we would have even entertained a player with a record as dodgy as Arthur's. 

He said we needed a midfielder openly what two weeks before the end of the window and later that he would risk a bit more than the owners. 

I thought Pearce was emphasising his point about the difficulties faced by Ward by citing Arthur as being the best they could get.

1st choice or nobody indicates we only need 1 midfielder when we clearly need at least 3 and probably 5 over the next 4 windows. They can't all be Bellingham or players of his profile. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

1st choice or nobody indicates we only need 1 midfielder when we clearly need at least 3 and probably 5 over the next 4 windows. They can't all be Bellingham or players of his profile. 

Well I suppose you can have a 1st choice Fabinho replacement, 1st choice Hendo replacement etc. 

If we are really moving away from this model I could see them signing say Caciedo and Gomes in Jan and still being in the hunt for Fernandez or Bellingham in the summer. 

Caciedo and Gomes may ensure we get CL this season (and so pay for themselves) and  then under new owners/new investment we can afford Bellingham in the summer. 

1 hour ago, HBenn said:

Well I suppose you can have a 1st choice Fabinho replacement, 1st choice Hendo replacement etc. 

If we are really moving away from this model I could see them signing say Caciedo and Gomes in Jan and still being in the hunt for Fernandez or Bellingham in the summer. 

Caciedo and Gomes may ensure we get CL this season (and so pay for themselves) and  then under new owners/new investment we can afford Bellingham in the summer. 

I think the way klopp has built his squad in his time here, he absolutely doesn't see I've got player x and I need player y to replace him because he's exactly the same. He just looks to bring in top quality players and use them as best he can. It's why we signed alisson instead of fekhir for example. Even this season Nunez instead of touchameni <sp> . But there's no doubt we need new midfielders, but I don't imagine for a second he's thinking "I need a new Henderson". Which is why we don't need to wait for Bellingham to strengthen our squad. We need loads of midfielders over the next 3 or 4 windows and they don't need to be superstars, because nobody builds a squad of 24 superstars.