You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man Utd (H) - Tue 19th Apr 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

59 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

Have been to West Ham (Upton Park) and they were singing sign on and waving money at us. It all just got laughed off and once they knew they weren't getting a reaction they started singing always the victim. 

A fee of our fans tried getting over the divide to punch them and they were all made up.

Probally a mixture of us becoming more successful and younger fans not remembering it.

I remember going upto Newcastle and there were a few shouts.

There will be a reaction one day.It happened to a degree at Leicester this season

47 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

That was Keane wasn't it?

Ye the prawn sandwich quote was Keane's - My memory was when Fergie was pleading with the fans to support the new manager in  Moyes at the time - that's in and around when those chants started. 

13 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

I'm only going to note once that obviously the animosity was always there. If you're going to ignore that point I'm not going to keep repeating it. And if you're also going to keep suggesting there was nothing but a natural evolution during Ferguson's time then there's no point i repeatedly pointing out that this wasn't the case. 

[And for those citing violence in the 70s - methodologically, if you don't know the problems of taking that out of the wider context of intense racism and violence during that particular era, in every ground and among all the fans, then they need to learn to be a bit more careful, or less manipulative. All of this eagerness to whitewash Ferguson is very interesting, though. Very interesting indeed.]

During the 60s and 70s there were still old fans who'd grown up when Busby was an LFC player and captain, and along with his own attitude, that tempered the rivalry. As did Shanks' friendship with him. Docherty and Atkinson were similarly respectful. If you truly don't believe that Ferguson consciously changed that, profoundly, then there's nothing I can do for you. I'm not wasting days in a discussion with the deaf.

I hate Alex Ferguson for a lot of reasons but stoking the hatred between the two clubs isn't one of them.

I actually quite enjoy the rivalry, Football is so watered down now that it's good to have a bit of vitriol in these big games. As you say, it's now a far cry from where it was in the mid 80s, before Ferguson arrived.

Worth also remembering his reaction to Hillsborough when he was one of the first to offer help & I believe him and some of his players went to a funeral too.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

I hate Alex Ferguson for a lot of reasons but stoking the hatred between the two clubs isn't one of them.

I actually quite enjoy the rivalry, Football is so watered down now that it's good to have a bit of vitriol in these big games. As you say, it's now a far cry from where it was in the mid 80s, before Ferguson arrived.

Worth also remembering his reaction to Hillsborough when he was one of the first to offer help & I believe him and some of his players went to a funeral too.

Fully agree

It's like a pantomine now.

Footy should be about passion and intense rivalry, obviously not saying it's acceptable to sing sick songs but to the day I die ill never forgot what that atmosphere was like at the first lpool utd game I went too.

I do thing ferguson certainly stoked that relationship. 

I remember the kenny classic when fergison was fuming and dalglish walked past and said you will get more sense out of kelly(obviously a long time ago)

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Ye the prawn sandwich quote was Keane's - My memory was when Fergie was pleading with the fans to support the new manager in  Moyes at the time - that's in and around when those chants started. 

I would have thought they were way earlier than that, not to far removed from Keanes.

In fairness I think Neville's criticism of their ownership extends a bit beyond the "they don't spend money" arguments, but rather that they could spend more if they didn't take it out, and that they've left the ship so rudderless that what they do spend they spend on shite. It's just an appallingly run club from top to bottom, and that's on the ownership.

Except it isn't, not entirely anyway. What Neville doesn't recognise (not publicly anyway) is that he - and the fanbase in general - are part of the problem. They need a rebuild, they need a complete mentality shift - this hagiography of the 90s and the way they did things then and the absence of any form of patience and commitment to anything other than "shiny things and winning shit" is a massive fucking anchor around them and it needs binning off, but Neville and the fans won't allow it. So they'll get back to their 90s stadium, singing their 90s songs, surrounded by their 90s banners and wonder why the fuck they're 25 years off the fucking pace.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Manny said:

In fairness I think Neville's criticism of their ownership extends a bit beyond the "they don't spend money" arguments, but rather that they could spend more if they didn't take it out, and that they've left the ship so rudderless that what they do spend they spend on shite. It's just an appallingly run club from top to bottom, and that's on the ownership.

Except it isn't, not entirely anyway. What Neville doesn't recognise (not publicly anyway) is that he - and the fanbase in general - are part of the problem. They need a rebuild, they need a complete mentality shift - this hagiography of the 90s and the way they did things then and the absence of any form of patience and commitment to anything other than "shiny things and winning shit" is a massive fucking anchor around them and it needs binning off, but Neville and the fans won't allow it. So they'll get back to their 90s stadium, singing their 90s songs, surrounded by their 90s banners and wonder why the fuck they're 25 years off the fucking pace.

Yep spot on that.

Which meant them keeping a manager who was comically out of depth because he played for them in the 90s

2 hours ago, Mark M said:

It was waaay before Moyes. It was about not being loud enough for the amount of people in there and how they just turned up expecting to win.

Article posted by Mook above: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2008/jan/02/newsstory.manchesterunited

Klopp has taken a very similar stance with us, except he's much more cute about it. He wasn't in the early days, mind.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gkmacca said:

I'm only going to note once that obviously the animosity was always there. If you're going to ignore that point I'm not going to keep repeating it. And if you're also going to keep suggesting there was nothing but a natural evolution during Ferguson's time then there's no point i repeatedly pointing out that this wasn't the case. 

[And for those citing violence in the 70s - methodologically, if you don't know the problems of taking that out of the wider context of intense racism and violence during that particular era, in every ground and among all the fans, then they need to learn to be a bit more careful, or less manipulative. All of this eagerness to whitewash Ferguson is very interesting, though. Very interesting indeed.]

During the 60s and 70s there were still old fans who'd grown up when Busby was an LFC player and captain, and along with his own attitude, that tempered the rivalry. As did Shanks' friendship with him. Docherty and Atkinson were similarly respectful. If you truly don't believe that Ferguson consciously changed that, profoundly, then there's nothing I can do for you. I'm not wasting days in a discussion with the deaf.

That is a fair point. Ferguson was an absolutely horrible cunt while in charge at United and bullied players,refs,the authorities(because of United's connections with Sky and also because they were the goose laying the golden egg at the time) and anybody else who tried to question his methods. He was always especially hostile towards LFC and Kenny,when it suited his agenda.No Liverpool manager has resorted to that stuff in return though and all credit to our club for rising above it. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

That is a fair point. Ferguson was an absolutely horrible cunt while in charge at United and bullied players,refs,the authorities(because of United's connections with Sky and also because they were the goose laying the golden egg at the time) and anybody else who tried to question his methods. He was always especially hostile towards LFC and Kenny,when it suited his agenda. No Liverpool manager has resorted to that stuff in return though and all credit to our club for rising above it. 

I'll drop the hand grenade in here about Rafa.

The points Rafa made were absolutely on the money. He just went about it in the wrong way. Everybody knew what Ferguson and those cunts were up to but no one dared stick their head above the parapet. Instead of backing him they decided it'd be easier to clam up because Ferguson was the bully that the little gobshites would often hide behind (Hodgson, Pulis etc).

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, Preston Red said:

I'll drop the hand grenade in here about Rafa.

The points Rafa made were absolutely on the money. He just went about it in the wrong way. Everybody knew what Ferguson and those cunts were up to but no one dared stick their head above the parapet. Instead of backing him they decided it'd be easier to clam up because Ferguson was the bully that the little gobshites would often hide behind (Hodgson, Pulis etc).

Agree on that. When any of out managers have spoken out about shit in football they are usually advised to  "keep your nose out of the UK business" and all have later been proved right ie, fergie, international ko times, 5 subs etc.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

Don't know why you would think that?

Cup replays at woodison where like a war zone with fireworks used as mortars. Horrible era for football supporters.

2cdfgyx.jpg

That pic was from we played united at Anfield. For quite a few games after that I remember the Kop singing "get your darts out Annie road" whenever opposition fans started chanting. Those days were scary crazy at times on away trips.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Fucking hilarious.

Just reading between the lines here, but I don't think that blonde woman is impressed by Maguire.

I don't think any of them are really.  It's fucking hilarious they paid £80M for him.  The recent tranfer activity has been horrendous, long may it continue. 

41 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Agree on that. When any of out managers have spoken out about shit in football they are usually advised to  "keep your nose out of the UK business" and all have later been proved right ie, fergie, international ko times, 5 subs etc.

Usually it'd be pricks like Allardyce and Dyche who'd be the first to start cryarsing.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't think any of them are really.  It's fucking hilarious they paid £80M for him.  The recent tranfer activity has been horrendous, long may it continue. 

They've been signing hyped players, who already think they're legends so they just need to turn up, for massive fees. Meanwhile, we've been signing talented players who are commenting to putting in the work to make themselves legends here. That's where the 9-0 aggregate comes from.