You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our midfield

Mil-ing Around

I can’t wait till Bellingham signs for a team that acts like a big club.  Sick of hearing about the cunt that clearly won’t ever be an option for us based on FSGs entire time at the club.

Wonder what player we’ll be waiting on then as excuse not to spend.

As bad as our midfield is Jesus christ we need to improve our finishing. Both Salah and Nunez need to be testing the keeper. Our shooting in general has wayward for ages does anybody more than 11 yards out ever keep it below 15 foot high or 5 foot wide. Nunez snatching at shots this is the most basic skill you learn you've got to be hitting the target more often than not. 

We got the throwing coach but really all that seems to of done is make Trent take forever to throw the ball.

On 06/01/2023 at 08:50, Moctezuma said:

Aberdeen are saying Clarkson is returning from loan, I'm assuming to go out on loan again or to act as a last resort in case our entire midfield gets injured (which given their records is highly likely :0)

Millions about to be saved

3 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Talking to Pistonbroke after tonight's game and he said that our midfield is like a bloke on life support and everybody's just waiting for the doctor to stroll in and pull the plug on the cunt. Put him out of his misery.

A fine analogy.

Put a DNR sign on them

We simply don't win enough tackles and challenges in midfield anymore and we get our pockets picked too often.

Teams are successfully targeting our inability to win duels in midfield. A classic example would be Leicester's goal the other day when we lost duel after duel before they strolled through our midfield.

We used to be really good from broken play and were regularly winning second balls and then attacking teams into space.

Again tonight we didn't win enough challenges and we don't win enough week in week out - as well as players just running away from our slow midfielders - Hendo got done tonight and run away from in build up to their 2nd tonight....It is sad watching him running in treacle as players stride away from him into space. As Klopp said after game the ball ended up in the gaps and spaces between our players too often - and that is because we lack mobility in midfield and because we are top far apart as a unit.

No legs, no intensity, no mobility, no physicality - a dreadful situation that other teams are exploting gleefully over and over again.

On 06/01/2023 at 08:50, Moctezuma said:

Aberdeen are saying Clarkson is returning from loan, I'm assuming to go out on loan again or to act as a last resort in case our entire midfield gets injured (which given their records is highly likely :0)

This must've changed as Aberdeen have announced he's staying there for the second half of the season.

1 minute ago, an tha said:

We simply don't win enough tackles and challenges in midfield anymore and we get our pockets picked too often.

Teams are successfully targeting our inability to win duels in midfield. A classic example would be Leicester's goal the other day when we lost duel after duel before they strolled through our midfield.

We used to be really good from broken play and were regularly winning second balls and then attacking teams into space.

Again tonight we didn't win enough challenges and we don't win enough. As Klopp said after game the ball ended up in the gaps and spaces between our players too often - and that is because we lack mobility in midfield and because we are top far apart as a unit.

No legs, no intensity, no mobility, no physicality - a dreadful situation that other teams are exploting gleefully over and over again.

You look at that starting midfield last season & think 'fine' but Fabinho & Henderson are both absolutely horrendous now. Thiago hasn't been that much better but I think he'd be ok with better players around him.

With that pair, it's not form either, Henderson is past it & Fabinho has been bad enough for so long now that it is fair to say it's terminal.

The bench wasn't any fucking better.

On 05/01/2023 at 13:22, Mook said:

There is absolutely no chance we are signing Jude Bellingham.

Normally I'd agree, but during the world cup he was inseparable from Trent and Henderson, why else would he be doing that if he didn't want to join us?

We wanted him last summer but Dortmund refused to sell.

I'm sure he probably said that he'd wait until next summer to join us, but that was on the basis that we'd be no worse than second this season and comfortably in the Champions league, whereas in reality we are looking more like 7th, 8th place this year. We struggle against virtually every team we play and a number of our first team players look past it.

Il be amazed if we get him now. 

He's not going to turn down offers from City and Real Madrid to play Europa football!

7 minutes ago, Mook said:

You look at that starting midfield last season & think 'fine' but Fabinho & Henderson are both absolutely horrendous now. Thiago hasn't been that much better but I think he'd be ok with better players around him.

With that pair, it's not form either, Henderson is past it & Fabinho has been bad enough for so long now that it is fair to say it's terminal.

The bench wasn't any fucking better.

Bench is shocking really - not a high class game changer there.

Thiago flanked by two really industrious, mobile, hard working, full of legs and capable of doing all that winning 2nd balls stuff and winning challenges stuff and snuffing out danger would hopefully mean Thiago being asked to do less running around trying to win the ball etc and could instrad by fed use his ball playing skills to feed forwards and get ball into dangerous areas more as opposed to it all being in undangerous areas.

We can't tackle any more. It's an outlier if a midfielder actually dispossesses someone. Just a group of eunuchs and dwarfs taking tiny taps at someone's feet, in the vain hope the sheer annoyance will accomplish something.

We don't need Bellingham, we need bodies that aren't gassed, decrepit, immobile or Keita. And we need a few of them.

We need to play 343

I don't mind Fabinho being the 3rd CB, he's basically made for it now. 

We only need 2 fit CBs to partner him at any one time.

Likewise in the midfield 2, we only need 2 from Hendo, Keita, Thiago, Arthur, Bajcetic, but obviously we need to buy 1 now. 

Trent and Robbo get to play further forward but with the safety net of 3 CBs behind them.

Currently we're too stretched when attacking.   2 CBs aren't enough with an ageing midfield ahead of them. 

Feel sorry for Carvalho at this point, the lads done nothing wrong but he seems to not fit Klopps puzzle. So why buy him? Same for Elliott, he's not good enough for a midfield or attacking berth, just don't see why he keeps getting minutes.  

2 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Feel sorry for Carvalho at this point, the lads done nothing wrong but he seems to not fit Klopps puzzle. So why buy him? Same for Elliott, he's not good enough for a midfield or attacking berth, just don't see why he keeps getting minutes.  

Same here. Klopp's always been a good man manager, but he's doing Elliott no favours sticking him in this side. 

32 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

We need to play 343

I don't mind Fabinho being the 3rd CB, he's basically made for it now. 

We only need 2 fit CBs to partner him at any one time.

Likewise in the midfield 2, we only need 2 from Hendo, Keita, Thiago, Arthur, Bajcetic, but obviously we need to buy 1 now. 

Trent and Robbo get to play further forward but with the safety net of 3 CBs behind them.

Currently we're too stretched when attacking.   2 CBs aren't enough with an ageing midfield ahead of them. 

We certainly need to do something. Assuming those back 3 are rock solid and don’t stray, then I’d love to see both Trent and Robbo in midfield with Thiago and one other - ? Obviously we need to purchase, but in the interim, I guess it’s whoever is fit.

With Bobby fit, we could almost give him a role in the hole, with 2 of either Mo, Darwin or Cody up front. Rotate them, mix them up. Support from Trent & Robbo.

32 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

That Amrabat lad, for me, should be our priority.  I'd prefer him and Caceido instead of Bellingham. Same price. 

Could get those 2 and the lad from wolves we’re meant to be bringing in for the price of Bellingham. 

52 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

That Amrabat lad, for me, should be our priority.  I'd prefer him and Caceido instead of Bellingham. Same price. 

If we signed Amrabat, how fast would it take to realize he's a midtable Serie A midfielder that isn't gonna bust his ass to the point of collapse for us because we aren't Morocco?

Our midfield won't be fixed with 1 addition - even Bellingham - it would improve it of course, but the extent of what is needed in there is very extensive 

It is a 3 signings job in my opinion....keeping in mind we are not just talking about the starting eleven.

Oxlade, Keita and Milner out the door.

Hendo into Milner role of last few years.

For my money we have to get 3 in over this month and the summer and we are looking at a cost of circa 200m.

So by start of next season we go...

New signing

New signing

New signing

Thiago

Fabinho

Henderson

Jones

Elliott

Bajcetic