You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

Milner's ability to come on and give some a clatter without getting a yellow made me laugh my bollocks off this season. However, even if he does get a yellow, and enough of them for a one match ban, he plays so infrequently, that the ban is purely academic, and not worth worrying about like you would with a regular.

This season, he was involved in 24 league games, from 90 minutes down to 1 and he picked up just 2 yellows. In the 1st of the season v Norwich, in which he played the full 90, and 77 at home v Man City, in which famed card-dodger Silva, miraculously also got one.That was the 7th game of the season, so he's gone 21 games for the rest of the season, doing what Big Games James does, without another yellow. And now he'll be doing it on a lower wage, with no less commitment, professionalism or enthusiasm, while continuing to be an inspiration and leader in the dressingroom.

What's not to like?

• Upvote 2

Milner on a wage that reflects the minuted he will play is a great deal for me. Still a model pro and good experience. Will get the cup games and give us a good shot and making a run in them. 

Nunes makes sense, Can play wide or through the middle. Still raw but that's fine. Klopp was obviously impressed after we played them, Virg has said he was really tough to play against. Just need to see if Benfica will move on the price. I guess we are hoping he tells Benfica whats up and he won't move to others offering more. Newcastle will try and up the prices,probably the mancs too, need him to dig his heals in. If Mane goes for 35ml amd Taki 15ml or so and he comes in for 55/60 probably a good deal when you think Mane wants big money and the wages saved on Mane,Taki and Origi. Still I'd like and think we need Nunez +1 but I think they'll spread them mins round Gordon,Jones,Elliot. 

1 hour ago, Chocoholic said:

Milner's ability to come on and give some a clatter without getting a yellow made me laugh my bollocks off this season. However, even if he does get a yellow, and enough of them for a one match ban, he plays so infrequently, that the ban is purely academic, and not worth worrying about like you would with a regular.

This season, he was involved in 24 league games, from 90 minutes down to 1 and he picked up just 2 yellows. In the 1st of the season v Norwich, in which he played the full 90, and 77 at home v Man City, in which famed card-dodger Silva, miraculously also got one.That was the 7th game of the season, so he's gone 21 games for the rest of the season, doing what Big Games James does, without another yellow. And now he'll be doing it on a lower wage, with no less commitment, professionalism or enthusiasm, while continuing to be an inspiration and leader in the dressingroom.

What's not to like?

Funny wasn’t it

I wouldn't mind that Bruno Guimaraes from Newcastle for midfield.  He obviously only just went there, they won't want to sell and they'd be paying him a packet.  But a little unsettling through the agent and he could make the step up in the Wijnaldum tradition.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Nunez is similar to our interest in Tchouameni, I think. I'm not sure he fits us really, but he has undeniable qualities that we could mould.

But it will be similar to Tchouameni as well in that we probably won't sign him.

tifo did a video on him on YouTube that makes him sound like he could be perfect for us. He also looks a handful but I agree that he will likely end up somewhere else.

8 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Nunez is similar to our interest in Tchouameni, I think. I'm not sure he fits us really, but he has undeniable qualities that we could mould.

But it will be similar to Tchouameni as well in that we probably won't sign him.

To be fair, it looks like Madrid are not willing to pay the expected fee either. I think PSG have muddied the waters and they are probably determined to get another one over Madrid.

20 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Also unconvinced…

1112C768-ED36-42F2-9AA8-C0B3FACA0B7E.png

Word around Leeds is he’s off to Man City anyway.

Contract expires 2024.

I have no idea if he's any good or not. 

He does however look like a massive cunt so I'm out. 

18 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

I’d love Phillips at Anfield. I’m a big fan. 

I agree, bring him home Jurgen.

0_GettyImages-1319636820.jpg

10 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

On 80+ minutes, when we're one goal up, bringing Milner on is as good as taking the points then and there. He'll clatter someone, take a yellow, break up play and buy a foul or two to see the game out.

He may not get many minutes, but he's a useful player to have.

He's a superb example for the young lads as well. 

Of any players we have he's the one I'd see being an effective coach or manager down the line. 

15 minutes ago, Fowlers God said:

For me Christian Eriksen to play as a Thiago replacement on 65/70mine is as good as it gets imo. 

We've been playing Thiago in a double pivot with Fabinho, if you signed Eriksen he'd have to come in to play alongside those two as the third more attacking midfielder rather than deputising Thiago.

I think we stick with Keita/Jones/Elliot for that role (possibly Carvalho as well as a hybrid 8/10).

Anyone see much of Pitaluga last season, I know they've done a lot of work on the structure and development pathways for that area but is he ready to come in as a 3rd choice or do we need another Lonergran/Paul Jones style signing?

(Assuming Adrian goes of course).

20 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

We've been playing Thiago in a double pivot with Fabinho, if you signed Eriksen he'd have to come in to play alongside those two as the third more attacking midfielder rather than deputising Thiago.

I think we stick with Keita/Jones/Elliot for that role (possibly Carvalho as well as a hybrid 8/10).

No we haven't.

1 minute ago, etho said:

No we haven't.

In game we have, it's more pronounced when we switch to 4 up front but even in a three Fabinho and Thiago act as more of a two and the third midfielder (especially when it's Keita rather than Henderson) is further forward.

We have a midfield of 3 and they work as a three. Thiago does like to drop deep to receive the ball but he definitely plays on the left of the three, in the space Gini used to. Guess when you play in a 2 in a 4-2-4 you could say it's a double pivot.

• Upvote 1