You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2022 Transfer Thread

an tha

13 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Go on, give me some more stats to prove you're right. As I've said to you loads of times before, there's absolutely no hipster nonsense you are going to be able to tell me about a player I've actually watched and watched plenty. I don't care about the stats and I care even less about international stats as half of those games are against farmers. I've watched him play and he's just ordinary. If he wasn't ordinary, considering city are short in the front 3, they wouldn't be entertaining any bid for him at all. They're selling him because they believe he's ordinary too. 

Maybe if I watch more football like you do I'll start comparing a 21 year old who has a really good goal record as a forward and winger for the national team, who just had a good goal scoring season for a Premier League team and who is highly rated in Spain, to Divock Origi, a 26 year old who hasn't ever played regular football for us. I think I'll pass.

You also said an about 50m deal for such a player is clearly corrupt. Have you looked at the transfer market these last few years, mate? That is a pretty ok price for someone of that pedigree.

It would be nice if you showed an ounce of self awareness and could admit you were wrong one time, mate. Just one time. I won't hold my breath.

15 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Maybe if I watch more football like you do I'll start comparing a 21 year old who has a really good goal record as a forward and winger for the national team, who just had a good goal scoring season for a Premier League team and who is highly rated in Spain, to Divock Origi, a 26 year old who hasn't ever played regular football for us. I think I'll pass.

You also said an about 50m deal for such a player is clearly corrupt. Have you looked at the transfer market these last few years, mate? That is a pretty ok price for someone of that pedigree.

It would be nice if you showed an ounce of self awareness and could admit you were wrong one time, mate. Just one time. I won't hold my breath.

I know you know the most about football. You do after all watch ligue 1 and collect stats. What more could someone want. 

Sure, I need an ounce of self awareness. Fucking hell. That's a belter coming from you! Haha. 

• Upvote 1

55 mil for Torres is a joke. They will have doubled their money in 18 months during which he will have played about 30 league games and scored less than 10 golas.

The market is now, if anything, depressed from what it was a few seasons ago.

55 mil is more than Chelsea paid for Werner - surpassed only in the last couple years by Havertz, Lukaku, Grealish and Sancho.

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

55 mil for Torres is a joke. They will have doubled their money in 18 months during which he will have played about 30 league games and scored less than 10 golas.

The market is now, if anything, depressed from what it was a few seasons ago.

55 mil is more than Chelsea paid for Werner - surpassed only in the last couple years by Havertz, Lukaku, Grealish and Sancho.

You can pretty much guarantee that City's ownership are going to be "buying an NFT" off Barca's ownership in an invisible-to-football-regulators cryptocash transfer of 30m or so in the next month.

There is zero chance Barca are actually paying 55m. This is a Juve-style transaction to make it look like your books are balanced so you can get more money into the club.

1 hour ago, Freddo said:

This torres transfer is surely dodgy. What has this player done since he's been on England to more than double his transfer fee.

Short answer, nothing. 

Got to be some FFP workaround this or some other dubious accounting practice. 

He’s scored 4 goals in 6 games for Spain in the last WC qualifiers, I guess that can make a Spanish club want to secure him on their books.

He’s done reasonable well for City as well, when he’s been given a chance and not been injured.

5D485665-588C-4B72-8E91-D3A01958C84E.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Code said:

He’s scored 4 goals in 6 games for Spain in the last WC qualifiers, I guess that can make a Spanish club want to secure him on their books.

He’s done reasonable well for City as well, when he’s been given a chance and not been injured.

The 6 games included 4 against Georgia and Kosovo - GD in those four - 11-2 

He could become a good player - he is not a 55 mil player in this market.

I hope it happens.

7 hours ago, Code said:

Looking at that I dont think there is anything there that stands out. 

For a player they are more than doubling their money on and then a bit more besides. 

Feels suspect. 

I honestly have no idea why young players like Haaland and M'Bappe wouldnt want to come here and play under Klopp. I know we all support Liverpool and are obviously a bit rose tinted, but managers like Klopp arent around every year. Maybe its Christmas and all the mince pies have gone to my head, making me believe the this means more nonsense, but if i was a young player right now, assuming Liverpool wanted me, id be biting your hand off to play under Klopp and learn under him to improve my game. I know injuries can happen at any time but look at Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, playing into there mid 30's.  There is plenty of time to chase the big money. Why you wouldnt want to play under him rather than go to PSG or Madrid is beyond me.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, John102 said:

I honestly have no idea why young players like Haaland and M'Bappe wouldnt want to come here and play under Klopp. I know we all support Liverpool and are obviously a bit rose tinted, but managers like Klopp arent around every year. Maybe its Christmas and all the mince pies have gone to my head, making me believe the this means more nonsense, but if i was a young player right now, assuming Liverpool wanted me, id be biting your hand off to play under Klopp and learn under him to improve my game. I know injuries can happen at any time but look at Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, playing into there mid 30's.  There is plenty of time to chase the big money. Why you wouldnt want to play under him rather than go to PSG or Madrid is beyond me.

Well, Mbappe was born in a Paris suburb and PSG is an incredibly popular club. And Madrid are the most prestigious club in world, so there are reasons. 

But honestly, I don't think most top players care all that much about which big club they join, it's just about joining a big club, mostly in the biggest one or two leagues. And if a move fails somewhere for a top player, there's always another big club interested.  

I remember someone asking two summers ago why Werner would join Frank Lampard's Chelsea over Liverpool (other than the fact we wouldn't pay his release clause). And it's because Chelsea are a big club.