You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rangers/Stevie Gerrard 2020/21

Baltar

4 minutes ago, Halcyon Days said:

Worldwide support, consistent levels of high attendance even though the leagues a joke. Sorry pal but English football is full of 5 minute wonders (apart from us the mancs and Arsenal) The 2 Glasgow giants have been winning shit since day one and brings a certain gravitas and expectation clubs like Villa can only dream of.

Worldwide support? Mate, you can barely even Scottish football outside of the UK. Hundreds of millions of people have access to Villa's games every weekend. You're not exactly living in the present. They're winning in a league where they have been a total duopoly since Ferguson left Aberdeen for United. Aston Villa play in a serious, competitive football league. Not some low-end pissing contest between the only two clubs with the resources to do anything. 

Not sure I'd call Chelsea 5 minute wonders either, considering they've been far more successful than us in the last 20 years. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Chris said:

Worldwide support? Mate, you can barely even Scottish football outside of the UK. Hundreds of millions of people have access to Villas games every weekend. You're not exactly living in the present. They're winning in a league where they have been a total duopoly since Ferguson left Aberdeen for United. Aston Villa play in a serious, competitive football league. Not some low-end pissing contest between the only two clubs with the resources to do anything. 

Ok we’ll have to agree to disagree but I reckon in a poll my opinion would be more popular than yours.

1 minute ago, Halcyon Days said:

Ok we’ll have to agree to disagree but I reckon in a poll my opinion would be more popular than yours.

Maybe if we were still living in your username. But the game's moved on far beyond those two teams regardless of how many people continue to go and see them on their own patch.

3 minutes ago, Chris said:

Maybe if we were still living in your username. But the game's moved on far beyond those two teams regardless of how many people continue to go and see them on their own patch.

If they joined our bent corrupt sport washing joke of a competition and then got bought out by a murderous oil state regime would they then be big? Will Newcastle be massive when they start winning in 5 years time? Give it a rest will you and just admit they are historically massive clubs used to winning things. Villa and the like are nothing in comparison.

Just now, Halcyon Days said:

If they joined our bent corrupt sport washing joke of a competition and then got bought out by a murderous oil state regime would they then be big? Will Newcastle be massive when they start winning in 5 years time? Give it a rest will you and just admit they are historically massive clubs used to winning things. Villa and the like are nothing in comparison.

Nah, Aston Villa have been champions of England and European Champions. They're the biggest club in the second biggest city in England. They play in a league that's watched all over the world.  

You said it best. They are "historically massive clubs". Not anymore. 

I'm not sure even a buyout makes Celtic and Rangers any bigger than they are. They're already the whale sharks fighting in a little puddle each over whose almost identical version of Christianity is better. Only way to do it would be to join "our bent corrupt sport washing joke of a competition"

Just now, Chris said:

Nah, Aston Villa have been champions of England and European Champions. They're the biggest club in the second biggest city in England. They play in a league that's watched all over the world.  

You said it best. They are "historically massive clubs". Not anymore. 

I'm not sure even a buyout makes Celtic and Rangers any bigger than they are. They're already the whale sharks fighting in a little puddle each over whose almost identical version of Christianity is better. Only way to do it would be to join "our bent corrupt sport washing joke of a competition"

So now you’re saying they’re not even massive historically?Suppose Chelsea and City are bigger too? Ok I’m going for a lie down to unlearn everything I thought I knew about footy. Nowadays location and your bank balance is everything. Sounds like some modern football fan bullshit to me.

4 minutes ago, Halcyon Days said:

So now you’re saying they’re not even massive historically?Suppose Chelsea and City are bigger too? Ok I’m going for a lie down to unlearn everything I thought I knew about footy. Nowadays location and your bank balance is everything. Sounds like some modern football fan bullshit to me.

No, I said you said it best. That they are "historically massive clubs." Just not anymore. Try reading before typing, mate.

5 hours ago, Chris said:

People who want Gerrard to succeed Klopp should hope he takes this. Only way he should feasibly have any chance of getting the Liverpool job is doing something of note at a serious football club in a serious league. Villa have a decent base, seemingly plenty of cash, are under achieving right now. 

And I'd kinda be fine with it too. If he gets them relegated, it'll dispel the silly notion he should be next in line at Liverpool.

And Glasgow Rangers are not a bigger club than Aston Villa.

What about if he did well with Villa too? Is that not a possibility?

3 minutes ago, Brownie said:

What about if he did well with Villa too? Is that not a possibility?

Yeah, absolutely. It would show he's got pedigree as a manager at a serious football club. I don't think you can make any judgements on that front yet because he's managing in Scotland where anyone even half decent from the English game (Lennon, O'Neill, Rodgers) wins the league at an absolute canter.

6 minutes ago, Chris said:

Yeah, absolutely. It would show he's got pedigree as a manager at a serious football club. I don't think you can make any judgements on that front yet because he's managing in Scotland where anyone even half decent from the English game (Lennon, O'Neill, Rodgers) wins the league at an absolute canter.

Absolutely agree mate, I was only making the point because you only provided the possibility of it going wrong!

As things stand, he hasn’t earned the right to be considered for the Liverpool job, he needs to prove himself at a higher level.

He’s an intelligent guy, i’m pretty sure he realises that himself.

I’m looking at this selfishly because Klopp won’t be around forever and we need someone to replace him in the next 5 years. If Stevie turns out to be a top manager then great, I would love nothing more.

If he doesn’t have what it takes then we look elsewhere. Him being really good would massively benefit us down the line, so fingers crossed.

3 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Absolutely agree mate, I was only making the point because you only provided the possibility of it going wrong!

As things stand, he hasn’t earned the right to be considered for the Liverpool job, he needs to prove himself at a higher level.

He’s an intelligent guy, i’m pretty sure he realises that himself.

I’m looking at this selfishly because Klopp won’t be around forever and we need someone to replace him in the next 5 years. If Stevie turns out to be a top manager then great, I would love nothing more.

If he doesn’t have what it takes then we look elsewhere. Him being really good would massively benefit us down the line, so fingers crossed.

I think I only raised that from my own perspective because I'm not sure I believe him taking over from Klopp is ideal at all. He's still so young so time is on our side. 

I think I'd only like to see it if and when he becomes a top manager rather than when it's still in question. If he can show that, then fine, it's a suitable result for everyone and could sort us for 20 years. But I think it's too risky and too pervasive of a narrative to overcome when the jury's still out on him as a manager. 

Villa would be a great opportunity for him to show what he's made of for a good few years and then if he's right for Liverpool, it's not like he's gonna say no or join one of our rivals ever.

1 minute ago, Chris said:

I think I only raised that from my own perspective because I'm not sure I believe him taking over from Klopp is ideal at all. He's still so young so time is on our side. 

I think I'd only like to see it if and when he becomes a top manager rather than when it's still in question. If he can show that, then fine, it's a suitable result for everyone and could sort us for 20 years. But I think it's too risky and too pervasive of a narrative to overcome when the jury's still out on him as a manager. 

Villa would be a great opportunity for him to show what he's made of for a good few years and then if he's right for Liverpool, it's not like he's gonna say no or join one of our rivals ever.

I don’t think anyone is advocating him replacing Klopp any time soon, unless i’ve missed something?

In my head I have Klopp leaving around 2024/25 so there’s still plenty of time.

2 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I don’t think anyone is advocating him replacing Klopp any time soon, unless i’ve missed something?

In my head I have Klopp leaving around 2024/25 so there’s still plenty of time.

Less than three seasons away man. Soon be here.

I think Stevie should at least finish this season with Rangers. He has spent a fair bit by Scots standards and should play fair by the players he brought in , the fans and the board. He will also hopefully get a bit more European experience if they can get out of their group.

9 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I think Stevie should at least finish this season with Rangers. He has spent a fair bit by Scots standards and should play fair by the players he brought in , the fans and the board. He will also hopefully get a bit more European experience if they can get out of their group.

No such thing as playing fair in this situation, for a manager. Rodgers left Celtic in the same circumstances and his reputation is no worse off.

He needs a move like this (either mid-premier league or abroad) if he has any plan to take the Liverpool job so Villa would be a good testing ground for him and a good opportunity for the club to get a proper gauge on his progress.

Still don't think he should be the next Liverpool manager but no reason he can't continue his development with a view to taking over further down the line.