You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Band Tournament - Round 2 - Van Halen vs The Monkees

Bjornebye

US Band Tournament - Round 2 - Van Halen vs The Monkees  

45 members have voted

1. 1. US Band Tournament - Round 2 - Van Halen vs The Monkees

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/09/20 at 07:45

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Thats the beauty of a knockout format.

It needs to be a league format. Four lots of 16 bands playing against each other in divisions with promotion and relegation- see how things lie after 10 'seasons', and use that as seedings for a 64 band play off initially in groups of 4 based on their co-efficients.

But no, we've gone for the easy option. Typical.

26 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I was worried he hadn’t been around for a while. He posted a few times today. I might have been a bit of a bellend too him. I’m sure he isn’t arsed like. 

If it helps, I couldn't take part in the scheme he PMed me. Shame though, looks like it would have been interesting.

9 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Stop crying and fucking get on with it. 

I'm putting Journey & The Eagles back in for the next round. The winners of this can fuck off as can Chic if they beat Metallica. Disco dancing bastards. 

Metallica is just shit loud music for dick cheese smelling thundercunts.Chic are not my thing either.

9 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Thats the beauty of a knockout format.

I approve of the format and Stig is doing a fine job, but this has turned into the equivalent of the two manc teams getting home draws against third division teams all the way to the final while all the other premier league teams are knocked out in the first two rounds.

I've been thinking about the 'They don't write their own songs or play their own instruments' thing a bit & there's a lot of snobbery involved (I include myself in that).

When you think about it, a lot of the greatest music has come from there, whether it's Elvis, Motown or Michael Jackson's Thriller LP. Surely if the music is great, it shouldn't really matter where it came from. We all know Eddie Van Halen could play rings around anyone in The Monkees but does that mean Jump is better than Last Train To Clarkseville? Personally I'd rather listen to The Temptations than most things & they wrote/played fuck all of their songs but it's great music regardless. The other thing it comes down to is if they're really a 'band' & you could easily say that The Monkess are not & so don't belong in this competition.

50 minutes ago, Mook said:

I've been thinking about the 'They don't write their own songs or play their own instruments' thing a bit & there's a lot of snobbery involved (I include myself in that).

When you think about it, a lot of the greatest music has come from there, whether it's Elvis, Motown or Michael Jackson's Thriller LP. Surely if the music is great, it shouldn't really matter where it came from. We all know Eddie Van Halen could play rings around anyone in The Monkees but does that mean Jump is better than Last Train To Clarkseville? Personally I'd rather listen to The Temptations than most things & they wrote/played fuck all of their songs but it's great music regardless. The other thing it comes down to is if they're really a 'band' & you could easily say that The Monkess are not & so don't belong in this competition.

Great post

2 hours ago, Mook said:

All good points.

Essentially, for me, anyone who's been manufactured isn't a band. They are a musical group or act. Even on Day Dream Beliver they were putting on blag scouse accents to try and sound like The Beatles. It's a good song but I can't stand the vocals for that reason.

Proper bands have paid their dues, have played the spit and sawdust venues probably at times to fuck all, got attention before someone took a punt on them and gave them a record deal. Then what follows is a mixture of talent, label backing and good fortune/luck to get the attention of the masses - then, with legendary bands, have sustained that career. 

It's a lot of hard work being in a band that people don't see. It's not all drink, drugs....etc as people tend to romanticise over. It's a lot more boring than that and a lot more hard work.

For every photo of your favourite rock star holding/swigging a bottle of Jack Daniels backstage with the bottle cap still on is another 30 photos of them sober as a nun in the studio, but of course that's not 'Rock N Roll' and all that nonsense.

Acts that have been manufactured and have been thrust into the limelight via a TV show aren't a band, despite what they may later become as they essentially have been given a leg up. Even when The Monkees started writing their own stuff near the end of their career they were still playing other people's music. 

Hence my earlier comparison to One Direction. Another 'band' who were created for a/on a TV show and completely manufacturered.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is anyone who voted for The Monkees loves One Direction.

No dig to Stig for putting them in, for me though they aren't a 'band'
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Like he is running Venezuela.

To think we binned of @SasaS for this power grab.

14 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I was worried he hadn’t been around for a while. He posted a few times today. I might have been a bit of a bellend too him. I’m sure he isn’t arsed like. 

I've been (not particularly aggressively) monitoring this sad descent into authoritarianism from my exile. 

• Upvote 1