You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

2 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

Wonder if we'll be in for Saka from Arsenal. Last year of his contract, has played left back, centre mid and right wing for them, has been one of their (very few) positives this season. Probably wouldn't want planet sized wages either.

Been mentioned a few times on here - would be a good fit I think.

They could also really use some help in the CB department - like say someone who is a senior international at a really big club who is not getting alot of minutes.

24 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Saka doesn't want to play left back apparently, which if true, leads me to question his intelligence. Why you'd limit yourself at such a young age from learning different skills at multiple positions, I don't know. 

Plus the fact that top rate fullbacks now are more valuable than ever

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Been mentioned a few times on here - would be a good fit I think.

They could also really use some help in the CB department - like say someone who is a senior international at a really big club who is not getting alot of minutes.

A partnership of Lovren and Luiz is a solid inspiring foundation to build a team on. 

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Saka doesn't want to play left back apparently, which if true, leads me to question his intelligence. Why you'd limit yourself at such a young age from learning different skills at multiple positions, I don't know. 

If he's seen how we use our full backs he might have a different opinion.

6 hours ago, El Dangerous said:

The player we were eyeing for £50m just moved to a rival for £50m. Unfortunately there’s enough crooked rich clubs to keep prices inflated at the top end of the market. It’s why I can see us going all out to sign excellent youngsters and little else.

You only need to look at Juve offering £72.5mill for Arthur Melo to know prices won't be coming down.

We spent over £30m on agent fees between January 2019 and January 2020. Given that our only new signings were Minamino and a handful of youngsters like Elliott, it seems as though the bulk of these fees has been swallowed up by contract renewals. We are clearly getting rinsed over these even though we've renewed deals for pretty much all our key players, so that's an area where Edwards and his number crunchers need to seriously look at.

Maybe they already are, because I reckon the agent fees in the Timo Werner deal (over £12m apparently) are the main reason we chose not to pursue a deal, more so than the wages or the fee.

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

Watching MOTD, this Saint-Maximin guy looks a real interesting prospect.

Consistently inconsistent. Strikes me as a player who'd also have discipline issues in a Klopp setup, I'm talking late for team meetings and the like, think Mamadou Sakho...

He can be electric, no doubt about it, but it's a pass from me.

If we're after a prospect in the wide areas, then Havertz's team mate at Leverkusen ticks a lot of boxes - Moussa Diaby. Needs to add goals to his game, but there's a lot to like about his game already.

I'd also take the lad Ismaila Sarr from Watford. Really think this lad can be a top player, and he already has a great relationship with Sadio.

I'd certainly hope we look to bring in a prospect at left back, as I don't think our internal options are going to be good enough when all is said and done.

Havertz remains the player I would most like us to sign. Outstanding already and will only get better under Klopp and surrounded by World class players.

Saint-Maximin would be electric as an impact sub but nothing more than that. Doesn't have the end product or the consistency to even dream of piercing the starting 11 at a big club. Was the exact same at Nice. He went to Newcastle for a reason. He's a poor man's Adama Traore. 

Sarr would be good if he has a relegation clause but he has to get better technically. He's very impressive physically and has great potential because of that but he's a bit awkward and unclean on the ball. 

11 hours ago, Trumo said:

We spent over £30m on agent fees between January 2019 and January 2020. Given that our only new signings were Minamino and a handful of youngsters like Elliott, it seems as though the bulk of these fees has been swallowed up by contract renewals. We are clearly getting rinsed over these even though we've renewed deals for pretty much all our key players, so that's an area where Edwards and his number crunchers need to seriously look at.

Maybe they already are, because I reckon the agent fees in the Timo Werner deal (over £12m apparently) are the main reason we chose not to pursue a deal, more so than the wages or the fee.

Perhaps we pay our agent fees over the duration of the contract, so if the player jumps ship during the contract it limits our exposure? It would explain why the fees are so high at a time when we're buying next to nobody and incentivises slightly not to just want to keep moving their players along as they keep earning even if the player stays where he is?

Wouldn't be surprised if we have to pay agents a fee every time we negotiate a longer contract and we've done a lot of that lately. I expect the agents would argue that a contract extension denies them the opportunity of a big fee if the player left instead of signing up for longer. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Saka at Arsenal is a huge prospect. Have him here in a heartbeat.

Yeah I’m with you on this. Big fan of his. He starts for Arsenal though so not sure he’d want to go back to being a rotation option as there’s no way he’s going to start ahead of Mane or Robbo when everyone is fit.