You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Is the flu shot worth it right now? There's still indoor mask mandates where I live, which are mega effective against the flu with how it's transmitted by droplets. Doubt there will be much of it going around. 

I've had proper flu a couple of times and I have the jab every year now. Say no more,  

22 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I've had proper flu a couple of times and I have the jab every year now. Say no more,  

No, I get that, the flu is bad. I'm wondering if there is going to be much of it, with some restrictions still being in place and people being generally a bit more paranoid about getting sick. There was very little flu last year. Obviously, there might be more this year with the world being more open.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

No, I get that, the flu is bad. I'm wondering if there is going to be much of it, with some restrictions still being in place and people being generally a bit more paranoid about getting sick. There was very little flu last year. Obviously, there might be more this year with the world being more open.

If its there for free why not have it.  Personally I've never had a bad reaction to any of these vaccines. 

5 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

If the flu will put people in hospital, increasing the burden on the system, why not get the flu shot and reduce that potential burden, even marginally?

Exactly- it's not going to harm you and offers both yourself and others benefits, it's a no-brainer to get the shot. Same applies to the Covid vaccines.

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Well, that actually supports my point. If a bad flu season is 25,000 deaths in the UK apparently according to the article, and if I am not mistaken, flu season lasts only during the colder half of the year this is about 4,000 or 5,000 a month, which is about the current level of deaths from Covid in UK (200 a day).  And flu deaths used to barely make the news. So after 20 months of Covid, the current number of deaths is something people seem prepared to accept. Also, the virus is something which we no longer psychologically classify as a completely unknown threat. Which would answer the question why is 200 deaths now seemingly normalized. It's a level at which most people would become relatively desensitized when it's not happening to them and is no longer an unknown threat.

10 hours ago, SasaS said:

Well, that actually supports my point. If a bad flu season is 25,000 deaths in the UK apparently according to the article, and if I am not mistaken, flu season lasts only during the colder half of the year this is about 4,000 or 5,000 a month, which is about the current level of deaths from Covid in UK (200 a day).  And flu deaths used to barely make the news. So after 20 months of Covid, the current number of deaths is something people seem prepared to accept. Also, the virus is something which we no longer psychologically classify as a completely unknown threat. Which would answer the question why is 200 deaths now seemingly normalized. It's a level at which most people would become relatively desensitized when it's not happening to them and is no longer an unknown threat.

It doesn’t. 

I also don’t think 200 deaths a day should be anywhere near normalised yet. It’s not even been 2 years. 

13 hours ago, magicrat said:

Mrs HL and I both had Swine flu about 10 years ago.

I remember thinking I'm not going to wake up in the morning, but not really caring.

Not something I ever want again.

Flu jab every time.

46 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

It doesn’t. 

I also don’t think 200 deaths a day should be anywhere near normalised yet. It’s not even been 2 years. 

Human beings are adaptable. Most people want to get on with their lives. Once the virus is no longer an unknown new threat and there are ways you feel you can protect yourself like vaccination or hopefully soon to come a better cure or a prevention pill, the society gradually learns to live with it.

45 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Human beings are adaptable. Most people want to get on with their lives. Once the virus is no longer an unknown new threat and there are ways you feel you can protect yourself like vaccination or hopefully soon to come a better cure or a prevention pill, the society gradually learns to live with it.

Well derrrrr 

As it stands, we still don't know and it's still a real and credible threat. Don't bury your head in the sand and deny it. I want it gone, I want to get on with my life, I also want covid deaths to be as preventable as possible. 

The side effects from yesterday's booster were bad, high temperature all night and muscle aches. I've had the same issues with the first two jabs but they have worsened with each jab with yesterday's being the worst. Does anyone have an idea why the side effects get worse with each dose?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

Mrs HL and I both had Swine flu about 10 years ago.

I remember thinking I'm not going to wake up in the morning, but not really caring.

Not something I ever want again.

Flu jab every time.

My lad had swine flu and it damn near saw him off. Horrible thing. 

12 minutes ago, magicrat said:

My lad had swine flu and it damn near saw him off. Horrible thing. 

My daughter rang our GP and he rang me, I have no idea what he said, but my daughter picked up our prescriptions of Tamiflu which worked for us thankfully.

I found out a couple of weeks later that someone I knew had died of it. She had heart problems but it was the swine flu that killed her. She was a lovely woman too. Very kind.

You're right, it is a horrible thing. 

46 minutes ago, Elite said:

The side effects from yesterday's booster were bad, high temperature all night and muscle aches. I've had the same issues with the first two jabs but they have worsened with each jab with yesterday's being the worst. Does anyone have an idea why the side effects get worse with each dose?

It seems completely random. I was quite ill for a couple of days after my second dose, but I had the booster and 'flu jab earlier in the week and apart from the inevitable dead arm, had no side effects at all. I wonder if it's related to you having that severe Covid infection last year, with the vaccines provoking a really strong immune response following that?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Well derrrrr 

As it stands, we still don't know and it's still a real and credible threat. Don't bury your head in the sand and deny it. I want it gone, I want to get on with my life, I also want covid deaths to be as preventable as possible. 

It's not a new threat any more.

Just now, Bjornebye said:

In comparison to flu its absolutely is. 

Unless it mutates considerably, it is not something which can cause panic or mass hysteria any longer, and it is sliding, hopefully, towards the status of the seasonal flu. On the other hand, the problem is that it just isn't going away, I predicted it would be mostly over by this winter and I was wrong. Vaccination and recovered numbers we have now in most European countries should be enough to almost completely stop it but it just isn't happening. 

2 hours ago, SasaS said:

Unless it mutates considerably, it is not something which can cause panic or mass hysteria any longer, and it is sliding, hopefully, towards the status of the seasonal flu. On the other hand, the problem is that it just isn't going away, I predicted it would be mostly over by this winter and I was wrong. Vaccination and recovered numbers we have now in most European countries should be enough to almost completely stop it but it just isn't happening. 

What happens if the vaccine protection only lasts 12 months? What if the virus does find a way to adapt to the vaccine? What if the winter months brings 1,000 deaths a day? It's still an unknown threat as it's too early to assume the answers to all these questions are in the positive column. 

1 hour ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

What happens if the vaccine protection only lasts 12 months? What if the virus does find a way to adapt to the vaccine? What if the winter months brings 1,000 deaths a day? It's still an unknown threat as it's too early to assume the answers to all these questions are in the positive column. 

Vaccine protection lasts less than 12 months, we already know that. If the virus mutates and fully adapts and if the number of deaths in the UK goes to a 1,000 a day it will go back to being perceived as a fully unknown threat. At the moment, most people seem to be used to living with Covid.

8 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Vaccine protection lasts less than 12 months, we already know that. If the virus mutates and fully adapts and if the number of deaths in the UK goes to a 1,000 a day it will go back to being perceived as a fully unknown threat. At the moment, most people seem to be used to living with Covid.

People were still acting the cunt when it was over 1000 deaths a day 

I think the thing with this now though is there's no other magic formula on the way. We have a vaccine. We have boosters this winter for the over 50s etc. We probably boost everyone again next year I guess because we know the vaccine effectiveness diminishes in time. But this is it. We might get some more medicine for treating it, but we're not looking to solve this problem, because the vaccine was that hit. 

But the problem with just dismissing it as "just a bad flu season"..well our hospitals are fucked in a bad flu season. And we seem to be happy for this not to really be a season, it's potentially an all year round game. So if we add covid to already broken hospitals in winter, where do we end up? It seems to me there's only 2 answers because the NHS is in failure mode and it won't get out of it. 

1. We need to continue to have restrictions, probanly more than we have now. Except I don't think most people will accept that. 

2. Increase capacity in the NHS to cope with the increased demand from covid. The guardian's dashboard says there 9,160 people in hospital at the moment. So as this is likely to get worse and not better as the winter comes on, we need to find capacity (and obviously the staff to go with it) for an extra 10-15k beds. 

Neither of these options are great - most people I believe don't want the first. The 2nd this bunch of cunts are unlikely to fund and even if they make some big announcement, where are the staff coming from, because we already don't have enough staff. 

There's no simple answer, but I feel sure whatever the answer is, it's not a shrug of the shoulders and "it's just like flu now" comment.