You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

“The Labour Leader’s comments will likely be cheered by lockdown-sceptic Tory MPs. “

Whether you agree with Covid passports or not, giving an interview to The Telegraph which allows them to use that line is bad politics. He’s got to be better at framing things than this. 

He’s also out of tune with the public if you believe the polls. 

I do genuinely wonder if he's a tad autistic, he seems slavishly devoted to focus group politics and can't seem to notice what's going on around him. It's like someone put Blair and Major in a centrifuge and accidentally left it on overnight.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, scudger99 said:

A fortnight tomorrow since my first AZ hit.  The first 48 hours were fucking awful, then left with a lingering tiredness that is slowly disappearing but is still dragging me down tonight.

I couldn't raise my arm above chest height for nearly a week and couldn't sleep on that side either.

Yet I know folks in their 70s and 80s who had zero side effects after the same injection.  And one guy in his late 20s who was fucked for a fortnight, he could barely get out of bed for the first week.

Very unpredictable.

My mums nearly 70, she has 2 metal heart valve's and a pacemaker. She had no side effects from az vaccine. Probably all that metal

I had my second Pfizer last week, no reaction other than a very sore arm first time. This time 24 hrs later I felt all weird and shivery for about two hours. I’ve just woken today with my arm sore again! 
My mum aged 81 didn’t even get a sore arm but she’s a tough woman! Her and my dad get their second Pfizer today so will be  interesting to see if they have any side effects this time.

• Upvote 5

13 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

He’s also out of tune with the public if you believe the polls. 

I'm starting to wonder if you could do a political horseshoe theory thing with this, but replace "far left" with "covid passport supporting pub cravers."

Look at old white people rocking it here too when it comes to throwing out legal and ethical concerns in favour of the economy :

On a lighter note, My daughter came round yesterday with her 3 little ones who are 6, 4, and 2.

We all sat in the back with my Grandkids playing and they had a ball.

It was the first time in a year and it was lovely. I had to go inside for a bit though as my eyes were getting a bit watery because of the 'pollen'.

Hearing them playing and laughing is one of my greatest pleasures. I'd missed it, I just didn't realise how much.

What a day.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 22

Some good news for the ones having had or getting the Pfizer vaccine (do note the study only looked at the Pfizer vaccine, so perhaps the others are equally effective):

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40256396.html

‘Off the scale’ antibodies from Pfizer jab could protect against Brazil variant

‘Off the scale’ antibodies from Pfizer jab could protect against Brazil variant

Researchers have hailed the immune response of the Pfizer coronavirus vaccine (PA)

THU, 01 APR, 2021 - 13:40
JANE KIRAND AINE FOX, PA

The Pfizer vaccine produces an “off the scale” immune response that is likely to protect against the Brazilian variant of Covid-19, researchers say.

The biggest study on antibody and cellular immune factors to date suggests people are likely to be protected against the Wuhan, Kent and Brazilian types of coronavirus following two doses of the vaccine.

The research, led by the University of Birmingham and including Public Health England’s Porton Down laboratory, found 98% of people aged 80 or over who had two doses of the Pfizer jab had a strong antibody immune response.

It comes as other new data from Pfizer suggests the vaccine is 100% effective in preventing Covid-19 cases in South Africa, where the variant which emerged in that country is common.

2.58173032.jpg?w=640

Researchers said their studies show the jab to be effective against the Brazilian variant of coronavirus (PA)

Among 800 people in the South African arm of a phase three clinical trial, nine cases of Covid-19 were observed – all in the group not given the vaccine.

Six of the nine Covid cases were the South African strain, with Pfizer saying this demonstrates the jab can induce “a robust neutralising antibody response to the (South African) variant”.

For the Birmingham study, 100 people aged 80 to 96 received their vaccine doses three weeks apart, before the UK adopted a policy of stretching the time between jabs to 12 weeks.

Published in The Lancet, the research found people who had previously had natural Covid-19 infection had a peak antibody response after just one Pfizer vaccination.

The antibody response in these people remained 28-fold higher even after the second vaccine dose.

Blood samples from all participants showed the original Wuhan strain was strongly neutralised after two doses of the jab.

While neutralisation reduced 14-fold when tested against the Brazilian variant, experts believe the very high immune response generated by the vaccine is enough to provide protection against that strain.

The study found cellular T cell responses developed in 63% of the older people given two doses of the Pfizer jab.

Like the cells which produce antibodies, T cells are crucial to the immune system’s response to viral infection.

Professor Paul Moss, from the University of Birmingham and leader of the UK Coronavirus Immunology Consortium, told a briefing: “In terms of the variants and how we control them, people seem to be taking two broad approaches.

“One is we can develop another vaccine, a booster against these specific variants, so we perhaps have a South African booster vaccine – that’s one approach and people are working on that.

“The other potential is that you boost your antibody levels so high from whatever vaccine you have that there’s enough to go around and you cope with the variant.

“We’ve certainly seen in this paper that the antibody levels are so good, really after the first two weeks, that we are pretty confident that this should be very helpful against the Brazilian variant.”

Asked if he is surprised how well the vaccines have worked in older people, he said: “We were. When we sent these samples to Porton Down they said ‘we can’t give you results right now because we’ve got to dilute them because they’re so high, they’re off the scale’.

“The antibody levels were so high that they’d gone above the thresholds so they had to dilute them.”

But he added it will be crucial to see how long antibody levels are maintained after people have had a Covid-19 vaccine.

“It will be important to assess that and whether they wane at different rates in people of different ages,” he said.

“I think that’s something that we have to watch out for.”

Although the new study did not look at the Oxford University/AstraZeneca vaccine, Prof Moss said the evidence for the jab is that “it’s very, very effective”.

He added: “The UK has a strong portfolio of vaccines – Pfizer, AstraZeneca, we’ve got Moderna coming very soon, and Novavax as well.

2.58921803.jpg?w=640 (PA Graphics)

“So yes, I think it’s possible that we can have very broad vaccine coverage across the UK very quickly.”

On T cell responses, Prof Moss said they are “better against variants overall” than antibodies, but he added the role of T cells in fighting coronavirus is still uncertain.

“I do think cellular immunity is very important,” he said, adding that a third of people in the study had no cellular responses detected.

“We know that, as people age, their cellular and immune responses are more difficult to elicit.

“Even influenza vaccines are much less effective in older people so that’s something that we will keep an eye on very closely.”

Prof Moss also said the UK’s plan to exit lockdown appears to be “on track”, with policies to control variants, the development of new vaccines and a strong immunisation programme.

“I think we can be confident about gaining control of variants with the current plans, and also leaving lockdown,” he said.

First author on the paper, Dr Helen Parry, a National Institute for Health Research academic clinical lecturer at the University of Birmingham, said: “Our research provides further evidence that the mRNA vaccine platform delivers a strong immune antibody response in people up to 96 years of age and retains broad efficacy against the P.1 (Brazilian) variant, which is a variant of concern.

And some not so good news, if you have had Covid-19:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40256279.html

Almost one in seven people suffer long Covid, figures suggest

Almost one in seven people suffer long Covid, figures suggest

Research found almost one in seven people who test positive for Covid-19 are still suffer symptoms three months later (PA)

THU, 01 APR, 2021 - 12:01
JANE KIRAND IAN JONES, PA

Almost one in seven people who test positive for Covid-19 are still suffering symptoms three months later, according to new UK figures.

The largest study of its kind on long Covid from the Office for National Statistics (ONS), found people with coronavirus are significantly more likely than the general population to report ongoing issues, which can include muscle pain and fatigue.

Among a sample of more than 20,000 people who tested positive for Covid-19 between April last year and March this year, 13.7% continued to experience symptoms for at least 12 weeks.

This was eight times higher than in a control group of people who are unlikely to have had Covid-19, the ONS said.

Of those who tested positive, a fifth (21%) still had coronavirus symptoms five weeks after their test.

Women were more likely than men to report long Covid at the 12-week point – with 14.7% doing so compared with 12.7% of men.

2.58932417.jpg?w=640

(PA Graphics)

Prevalence of long Covid was also highest among those aged 25 to 34 (18.2%) than other age groups.

From a larger sample of people with and without Covid tests, the ONS estimated that 1.1 million people in private households in the UK experienced long Covid in the four weeks to March 6.

Of these people, an estimated 697,000 first had Covid-19 – or suspected they had Covid-19 – at least 12 weeks previously, while 70,000 first had the virus or suspected they had the virus at least one year ago.

Long Covid was estimated to be adversely affecting the day-to-day activities of 674,000 people, with 196,000 reporting that their ability to undertake day-to-day activities had been limited a lot.

Of those self-reporting long Covid, those aged 35 to 69 were most affected, as were women, people living in the most deprived areas, those working in health or social care and those with a pre-existing condition.

Health and social care workers experienced the highest prevalence rates of self-reported long Covid among employment groups (3.6% and 3.1% respectively), followed by those working in personal services (2.8%), civil service or local government (2.7%) and teaching and education (2.5%).

For people living in the most deprived areas the rate was estimated at 2.1%, while for those in the least deprived areas it was 1.4%.

UK Liberal Democrat MP Layla Moran, who is chairwoman of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Coronavirus, said: “These figures reveal the devastating impact of long Covid across the country and the urgent need for the Government to step up support for those affected.

“For too long, Covid patients have felt like the forgotten victims of this pandemic.

“The Government must end the current postcode lottery of rehabilitation services and ensure all those who need long-term treatment can access it.

“We also need a compensation scheme for key workers with long Covid, who have worked tirelessly on the frontline against the pandemic and are now paying a heavy price.

“The Government must recognise long Covid as an occupational disease and provide formal guidance to employers, to ensure that workers suffering symptoms are treated fairly and given proper support.”

In February, the the World Health Organisation’s Europe director told a briefing that the burden of long Covid “is real and it is significant”.

Dr Hans Kluge said that as the pandemic had evolved, professionals and patients “have mapped a path in the dark” and stories of people with ongoing “debilitating symptoms” have emerged.

“Regrettably, some were met with disbelief, or lack of understanding,” he said, adding that disability following coronavirus infection can linger for months “with severe social, economic, health and occupational consequences”.

He added: “We need to listen and we need to understand. The sufferers of post-Covid conditions need to be heard if we are to understand the long-term consequences and recovery from Covid-19.”

6 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I have to be honest, I'm shitting it getting any of the vaccines.

I just wish they'd invent suppository versions; I'd have fun politely pushing it into my bum. 

Yeah, I think people need to shut the fuck up about their sore arms and very, very, very minor side-effects.  

Get your jab, it's fuck all bother, fuck all. Get it, I promise it's fucking fine. 

36 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I had the AZ vacc, and I wish to God I'd had the Pfizer one.  

Just get the feeling that the mRNA vaccs are the answer. 

Screenshot_20210401-173508.png

My Mrs had her first AZ jab 4 weeks ago and my Mum had her 2nd today.

I think there are pro's and con's of all the different vaccines.

The Pfizer one may be better on some strains and the AZ better on others. 

Don't forget that there's a study going on to see if the AZ is compatible with the other vaccines and If it is, we'll all be getting AZ boosters due to cost and availability. 

Some people have reactions to the vaccines, some don't, but I would never let that stop me from having either.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, littletedwest said:

My mums nearly 70, she has 2 metal heart valve's and a pacemaker. She had no side effects from az vaccine. Probably all that metal

I’ll admit to being a huge quim but I’m surprised how sick I am from the AZ one. To top it off I’ve been getting warning beeps that my resting heart rate is over 130 for the last 4 hours. I’m trying to stay positive by keeling the mindset that it’s worth it because at this rate the actual plague would have murdered me in minutes. 

7 minutes ago, Geoff Woade said:

I’ll admit to being a huge quim but I’m surprised how sick I am from the AZ one. To top it off I’ve been getting warning beeps that my resting heart rate is over 130 for the last 4 hours. I’m trying to stay positive by keeling the mindset that it’s worth it because at this rate the actual plague would have murdered me in minutes. 

Might be worth ringing 101 mate,  possibly something else. How old are you? 130 is high if you're sat on your arse. 

28 minutes ago, Geoff Woade said:

Don't think that's a common side effect mate. What is giving you beeps? What device is it? If it's accurate then you need to give 101 a call.  Stay calm tho!