You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

10 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

Do people think there is any weight to the theory that the reason admissions and deaths are remaining stable/dropping despite the undoubted rise in cases is due to mask wearing/social distancing leading to a lower viral load meaning milder symptoms?

Or is it a just due to younger people driving it, which will undoubtedly spread to more vulnerable groups and a natural lag meaning admissions/deaths will increase again in a few weeks?

Masks maybe but this socially distancing is a thing of the past and has been for a long time.

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

No idea, but I don't subscribe to the idea that it's only young people driving it as that's not what I'm seeing when I go out, don't know about you. Whenever I've done the help out to eat out business it's been middle aged and older mostly, I don't know anyone who's shielding either. 

It's not really an 'idea', it's from test result data. I think something like 2/3 of positive tests were in people under 40.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

No idea, but I don't subscribe to the idea that it's only young people driving it as that's not what I'm seeing when I go out, don't know about you. Whenever I've done the help out to eat out business it's been middle aged and older mostly, I don't know anyone who's shielding either. 

I don’t think you can rely on anecdotal evidence for something like this, not least because we don’t know for sure what is the main driver of the rise in cases. 

You might be seeing loads of old people in restaurants for example, but unless restaurants are a big driver in cases then that’s irrelevant. My personal feeling is house parties and gatherings indoors are a big cause in the rise and it’s probably more likely young people doing that. 

As Mudface said the data was released showing that it’s young people so, at the minute, there’s no reason to think that’s incorrect. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/07/coronavirus-young-people-urged-to-follow-rules-as-uk-cases-rise

They show Covid case rates are growing fastest among those aged between 10 and 29, according to analysis of PHE figures gathered between the beginning of July and the end of August.

The case rate for those aged 10-19 has quadrupled after reaching a low point in early July, while the rate for those in their 20s has tripled.

The most recent figures covering the week to 30 August show that there were 26.5 cases per 100,000 people in their 20s – the highest rate of any group in that week.

However, in certain parts of the country the case rates are much higher: in the north-west case rates among those in their 20s was running at 49.3 per 100,000 people in the week to 30 August, almost twice the English figure.

The rate of increase among those in their 30s and 40s is lower (16.8 and 11.5 per 100,000 respectively) but case rates in both age categories are growing, albeit not at the same pace witnessed among teenagers and those in their 20s.

Conversely case rates have dropped in the two oldest age categories, with case rates per 100,000 among the over-80s dropping from 11.2 to 6.2 in the past nine weeks.

What the PHE data does not show is whether certain age groups are more likely to be tested in the first place, for example if frequent testing in care homes might influence the overall rate of cases in the older age categories.

The data does not take into account the impact of pupils returning to schools, with dozens of schools across England and Walesreporting Covid outbreaks after the first week of term.

There have been 89 deaths among those aged under 29 since the start of the pandemic, according to data from the Office for National Statistics, meaning young people have an extremely slim risk of dying from Covid-19.

The figures, which cover England and Wales, show the vast majority of deaths have been among those aged 60 and over, with 93% of deaths in this age category.

80435799-5D51-46B1-9614-0849F277752B.png

ADAD27CA-E285-4ED4-91CC-BFD404B0F596.png

46 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

No testing in London again today...

Or postal kits, or walk ins. 

Something has gone wrong somewhere.

Sarah-Jane Marsh, the director of testing NHS Test and Trace, has posted this on Twitter this morning: 

“Can I please offer my heartfelt apologies to anyone who cannot get a COVID test at present. All of our testing sites have capacity, which is why they don’t look overcrowded, its our laboratory processing that is the critical pinch-point. We are doing all we can to expand quickly.”

So they have the capacity to test, but don’t really have the capacity to test, but they can test.

Stick this in the almost unending fuck ups pile.

Absolutely pathetic, again. 

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Sarah-Jane Marsh, the director of testing NHS Test and Trace, has posted this on Twitter this morning: 

“Can I please offer my heartfelt apologies to anyone who cannot get a COVID test at present. All of our testing sites have capacity, which is why they don’t look overcrowded, its our laboratory processing that is the critical pinch-point. We are doing all we can to expand quickly.”

So they have the capacity to test, but don’t really have the capacity to test, but they can test.

Stick this in the almost unending fuck ups pile.

Absolutely pathetic, again. 

Cue more bullshit about 'ramping up' to an arbitrary figure which they won't meet. There was talk the other week of doing millions of tests per week- 'game changing' yet again- looks like that was complete bollocks too.

11 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Cue more bullshit about 'ramping up' to an arbitrary figure which they won't meet. There was talk the other week of doing millions of tests per week- 'game changing' yet again- looks like that was complete bollocks too.

If we have a flare up, which is more than possible with the schools being back, we do not have capacity to test, let alone turn around results quickly. 

Fucking shambles.

24 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

If we have a flare up, which is more than possible with the schools being back, we do not have capacity to test, let alone turn around results quickly. 

Fucking shambles.

It's taking 7 days for some care homes to get test results for their staff, that's if they can get tests. You'd think after the earlier catastrophe they would be prioritised.

1 hour ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Driving past a number of schools yesterday, kids walking together no masks, mums standing outside the schools chatting, no masks.

Jokes.

It's ridiculous. 

My Mrs works in a school and they've had parents actually coming into the building itself with no mask.

The head, (who I've known for years and used to be alright) is doing fuck all about it and refuses to let staff wear masks quoting 'Government guidelines'.

One of the teachers is a severe asthmatic with various other health problems so she's really at risk.

They're guidelines for fuck sake, it's at his discretion. 

It's all well and good having kids go back to school but allow staff to wear masks/visors if they want to. 

If I had my way, they'd all be wearing them.

Kids and all.

2 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

It's ridiculous. 

My Mrs works in a school and they've had parents actually coming into the building itself with no mask.

The head, (who I've known for years and used to be alright) is doing fuck all about it and refuses to let staff wear masks quoting 'Government guidelines'.

One of the teachers is a severe asthmatic with various other health problems so she's really at risk.

It's all well and good having kids go back to school but allow staff to wear masks/visors if they want to. 

Kids and all.

That's ridiculous. My sister is also potentially very vulnerable due to steroid and methotrexate treatment and her school have allowed her to wear both a mask and visor in classrooms.

1 hour ago, Harry's Lad said:

It's ridiculous. 

Kids and all.

Schools will stick to government guidelines. If they don't stick to what they're told there's a chance they'd get fucked over if something went wrong. 

Most schools are doing their best in a bad situation. I certainly wouldn't have kids and teachers in masks for 7 hours a day. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Schools will stick to government guidelines. If they don't stick to what they're told there's a chance they'd get fucked over if something went wrong. 

Most schools are doing their best in a bad situation. I certainly wouldn't have kids and teachers in masks for 7 hours a day. 

Doctors, nurses and dentists wear them a lot longer than 7 hours.

My daughter is a teacher and where she works every teacher, teaching assistant, welfare staff and even the school secretary wants the option to wear one.

As far as the kids are concerned, masks are a way of life in the far east.

I don't see a problem with kids wearing a mask in the classroom. They have to in shops etc.

While Covid is the threat it is, any measure that makes everyday things a bit safer, I don't have a problem with.

If every man woman and child wore a mask when out we are still going to see a large rise in infections as society is attempting to return to sort of functioning normality. 

Ive spent the last few months installing perspex "covid"screens all over the UK- some places are clearly taking it very seriously (the majority) , others couldnt seem to care less. 

When Furlough scheme ends things could get hectic.

That said, when Covid "arrived" early in the year we were not prepared at all. The disciplines and hygiene practices that all of society has introduced should surely keep it down. It should also help with other winter illnesses as we have had to become a far more hygienic country.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

AF90159B-5F38-4AB6-A904-C124CF3FCEEE.png

i don't know how they pull their numbers together, it is usually a once per week thing coming out thursday afternoon or friday morning. i wonder if this is a shorter cycle because of the increases and they wanted to see if they were seeing the same rises as the government numbers? 

23 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Every step of the way, this government has stumbled from one cluster fuck to another.  Never their fault though is it. The blame game continues and now it's the fault of the 20 somthings.

come on mick. now is not the time for blame, now is the time for a stiff upper lip, support the nhs and get brexit done. 

2 hours ago, Dave D said:

The disciplines and hygiene practices that all of society has introduced should surely keep it down. It should also help with other winter illnesses as we have had to become a far more hygienic country.

All the measures we've introduced don't seem to be stopping flu, which is currently killing more people than covid.

Maybe these screens, face masks etc are magic ones which work against coronavirus but not influenza.