You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

moof

10 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

By and large, the Western World has rid itself of slavery and is more inclusive and tolerant of religions and sexuality. 

It's 2022, the world has become much more tolerant in the past 25 or so years. We are far beyond abolishing slavery in the mid-1800's, woman voting in 1918, 1920's Prohibition, 1940's of persecuting certain religions, legalising homosexuality in the 1960's.... even more modern travesties, like apartheid, we're abolished >30 years ago.

I appreciate that Qatar is it's own country, and whether I / we agree with them or not, it has it own values.

IMO, the point is the World Cup, which is represented by countries, race, religion, likely sexuality, from all over the world, approaching it's century of tournaments, shouldn't be being played in a country that doesn't welcome everybody regardless.

If the English FA, The German one etc etc etc really care so much about the human rights violations they should IMO have refused to travel there and refused to send teams and for me that applies to everyone who claims they do.....media, broadcasters sponsors and so on and on and on....

What would Qatar and it's regime have then?  Answer nothing, no world cup, no sportswashing and a proper damning from rest of world.

I feel a bit sorry for players - but as i say the associations could have done something to not put them in position they are in.

I won't see it so it won't bother me but Harry Kane et al on bbc saying 'we stand against all discrimination' in a pre recorded thing before ingerlund games on bbc 1 achieves nothing IMHO.

6 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

By and large, the Western World has rid itself of slavery and is more inclusive and tolerant of religions and sexuality. 

It's 2022, the world has become much more tolerant in the past 25 or so years. We are far beyond abolishing slavery in the mid-1800's, woman voting in 1918, 1920's Prohibition, 1940's of persecuting certain religions, legalising homosexuality in the 1960's.... even more modern travesties, like apartheid, we're abolished >30 years ago.

I appreciate that Qatar is it's own country, and whether I / we agree with them or not, it has it own values.

IMO, the point is the World Cup, which is represented by countries, race, religion, likely sexuality, from all over the world, approaching it's century of tournaments, shouldn't be being played in a country that doesn't welcome everybody regardless.

It's still doing all that in more subtle ways.

In what way is Qatar not welcoming everybody?

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

If the English FA, The German one etc etc etc really care so much about the human rights violations they should IMO have refused to travel there and refused to sned teams and for me that applies to everyone who claims they do.....media, broadcasters sponsors and so on and on and on....What would Qatar and it's regime have then?  Answer nothing, no world cup, no sportswashing and a proper damning from rest of world.

Exactly they are helping to perpetrate the human rights violations, and it's not as if these countries are not committing such violations themselves...so exactly why does Qatar alone need a proper damning from the rest of the world?

1 minute ago, ManéMan said:

In what way is Qatar not welcoming everybody?

For a start they’ve waited until two days before it kicks off to ban lager. A master stroke that they’ll have been planning all along. Who knows what else they’ve got up their sleeves. There was that footage the other day of loads of blokes turning up on a golf cart and grabbing that Danish journalist’s camera. 

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

If the English FA, The German one etc etc etc really care so much about the human rights violations they should IMO have refused to travel there and refused to sned teams and for me that applies to everyone who claims they do.....media, broadcasters sponsors and so on and on and on....What would Qatar and it's regime have then?  Answer nothing, no world cup, no sportswashing and a proper damning from rest of world.

Don’t necessarily disagree, although it’s an unrealistic idea. 

It should never have gone there. Hopefully the “One Love” arm bands and some scathing under short messages show this farce for what it is. 

1 minute ago, Captain Turdseye said:

For a start they’ve waited until two days before it kicks off to ban lager. A master stroke that they’ll have been planning all along. Who knows what else they’ve got up their sleeves. There was that footage the other day of loads of blokes turning up on a golf cart and grabbing that Danish journalist’s camera. 

Maybe people and visitors should learn to respect and tolerate their society and religious norms which doesn't allow public such consumption of alcohol.

• Downvote 5

5 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

That wasn’t just loads of blokes but members of their secret police. Filming and broadcasting down there is obviously not allowed. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Scott_M said:

Don’t necessarily disagree, although it’s an unrealistic idea. 

It should never have gone there. Hopefully the “One Love” arm bands and some scathing under short messages show this farce for what it is. 

I don't see it as all that unrealistic.

Surely all the national associations who fifa have no world cup without are more powerful if fully united, i could see them if they really wanted to being able to force fifa to move tournament.....

Thing is of course it needed to have been done a long time ago.

Harry Kane et al on bbc saying 'we stand against all discrimination' in a pre recorded thing before ingerlund games on bbc 1 achieves nothing IMHO....nor does armbands or Denmark changing their kit etc.

5 minutes ago, ManéMan said:

Maybe people and visitors should learn to respect and tolerate their society and religious norms which doesn't allow public such consumption of alcohol.

Maybe such countries shouldn’t be inviting the world in. How hot is it there? Even men aren’t allowed to wear shorts. 

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/football-fans-asked-to-avoid-revealing-clothes-during-qatar-world-cup-keep-shoulders-and-knees-covered-3528518/amp/1

It’s an absolute nonsense to expect people from all over the world to turn up and behave like Muslim fundamentalists. 

3 minutes ago, ManéMan said:

I don’t disagree with your point there. 

It’s a strict Muslim country, you abide by their rules.

I’ve been to the UAE on holiday and have been respectful of their cultures.

However, if I booked an all inclusive holiday there where T&C’s included alcohol, to then turn up and be told “Alcohol isn’t allowed” I’d be fairy pissed off. 

7 minutes ago, ManéMan said:

There is an awful lot of stuff they 'agreed' to tolerate just to get their hands on the tournament. FIFA for all their (many) faults lay down the criteria that all bidders need to meet, including stuff that is pandering to the tournament sponsors. Sponsors that include a beer company. This was something that the Qatari bid committee and regime agreed to, even if they were never go down the route of allowing full-blown piss-ups at fan fests etc.

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

I don't see it as all that unrealistic.

Surely all the national associations who fifa have no world cup without are more powerful if fully united, i could see them if they really wanted to being able to force fifa to move tournament.....

Thing is of course it needed to have been done a long time ago.

Harry Kane et al on bbc saying 'we stand against all discrimination' in a pre recorded thing before ingerlund games on bbc 1 achieves nothing IMHO....nor does armbands or Denmark changing their kit etc.

Didn’t the England players have a conversation on whether to compete or not? Sure it was a short conversation. 

Like it or not, players will want to play. Associations won’t want to piss off their players. 

I don’t disagree the best way to highlight this would be by not turning up, it’s never going to happen. 

Like saying how we’ve been treated by UEFA, we’ll never play in the CL again. I get some supporters will vote with their feet, and likely have already done so this season, you can’t ask the players to do the same. 

3 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Maybe such countries shouldn’t be inviting the world in. How hot is it there? Even men aren’t allowed to wear shorts. 

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/football-fans-asked-to-avoid-revealing-clothes-during-qatar-world-cup-keep-shoulders-and-knees-covered-3528518/amp/1

It’s an absolute nonsense to expect people from all over the world to turn up and behave like Muslim fundamentalists. 

So Muslims who are averse to alcohol are fundamentalists? It looks like you who needs to learn to be tolerant instead of being a bigot

6 minutes ago, Trumo said:

There is an awful lot of stuff they 'agreed' to tolerate just to get their hands on the tournament. FIFA for all their (many) faults lay down the criteria that all bidders need to meet, including stuff that is pandering to the tournament sponsors. Sponsors that include a beer company. This was something that the Qatari bid committee and regime agreed to, even if they were never go down the route of allowing full-blown piss-ups at fan fests etc.

Have they banned the sponsors too, or just drinking in the stadium?

4 minutes ago, ManéMan said:

Easy. Same as what we have done with Russia, duh. 

But as usual the morality police that is the West will pick and choose who the bad guys are based on their selfish interests.

I want to be clear here, I’m not getting into a Chrimea / Ukraine or Gaza Strip posts here, I’m merely going on what the decisions UEFA took were, so…

UEFA took a decision to ban Russia from competing.

UEFA didn’t take a decision to stop Israel. 

So, despite qualifying for the tournament (which we all know they didn’t), Qatar would stop Isreal from

playing? 

Just now, ManéMan said:

For banning alcohol, something the religion of it's country and people advocates? Seems like it's you who is a confused fundamentalist liberal yet an intolerant bigot

I’m assuming you’ve got skin in the game seeing as you keep throwing the word bigot around. But the simple fact is Qatari law punishes “offending Islam”. If I went there with a bible in my suitcase, they’d jail me. 

How is that welcoming to the non-Muslim visitors? 

5 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I want to be clear here, I’m not getting into a Chrimea / Ukraine or Gaza Strip posts here, I’m merely going on what the decisions UEFA took were, so…

UEFA took a decision to ban Russia from competing.

UEFA didn’t take a decision to stop Israel. 

So, despite qualifying for the tournament (which we all know they didn’t), Qatar would stop Isreal from

playing? 

Have they stopped them? No point in hypothetical.

Don't think Fifa would allow them, but it would be the right thing to do from Fifa and them. Russia is the precedent.