You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bolton Wanderers and the like ....

Bjornebye

18 hours ago, Trumo said:

Perhaps the real issue here is that any old shyster can turn up and promise the earth to a football club, and the footballing authorities lack the apparatus (or maybe even the will) to put a stop to it before the shysters get their name above the door.

I don't give a shit about the footballing fortunes of the actual teams but there are so many people whose livelihoods will be affected, who have financial obligations they are struggling to meet through no fault of their own. All because some shyster frittered money away and there was nobody to step in before they got the chance.

I've been trying to articulate my lack of sympathy for Bolton and Bury, and you've done it for me. I didn't expect any sympathy from supporters of other clubs when Liverpool flirted with disaster, and I don't have any for them. Even if we had a more equitable manner of sharing the revenue generated by professional football and meaningful systems to keep the shysters out of the game, some club will overextend themselves and it's not for the rest of football to bail them out on an individual basis. That still doesn't stop me wanting a more equitable manner of sharing the revenue generated by professional football and meaningful systems to keep the shysters out of the game, things that might have saved Bolton and Bury.

I do realise that football clubs can go out of business,as SD said,and I do think that 92+ (some conference/national league clubs operate professionally too) is too many, but at a time when the professional game at the top is awash with cash then no professional league clubs should be going out of business.

There definitely should be a discussion about reducing the number of league teams and having regional structures instead but it shouldn't be brought on because of the avarice of top clubs. There also should be a major discussion on the failure of the football authorities who allow crooks to just waltz in and buy clubs on a whim without any true check on their fitness to do so.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I do realise that football clubs can go out of business,as SD said,and I do think that 92+ (some conference/national league clubs operate professionally too) is too many, but at a time when the professional game at the top is awash with cash then no professional league clubs should be going out of business.

There definitely should be a discussion about reducing the number of league teams and having regional structures instead but it shouldn't be brought on because of the avarice of top clubs. There also should be a major discussion on the failure of the football authorities who allow crooks to just waltz in and buy clubs on a whim without any true check on their fitness to do so.

People say there are too many pro clubs but who's going to be the arbiter of which ones should be in this utopian football landscape and which shouldnt?

The problem as I see it isnt one of too many football clubs. It is, as someone has already said and with which I agree. Some people are buying clubs with money they dont have. Even then, it isnt as simple as that since Ive no problem with people borrowing money to buy a club if they have a decent business plan (and I use the term advisably) to run the club and pay the money back.

That isnt happening and any old shyster appears to be able to satisfy the EFL's 'fit and proper' test.

Dale buys Bury for a quid. His record is something like 40 of the 50 companies he's been involved with have gone under.

The two current owners of Sunderland 'bought' the club using the club's own parachute payments from the PL.

The previous two cowboys bought us then promptly put that debt on the club. Same with the glazers and united.

WTF is going on and why is no one at the FA, PL and EFL not doing anything?

Ive happily sent tenners off to struggling clubs in the past to help them survive but Im fucked if Im going to give a shyster like Dale any of my money even if it mean Bury going out of business.

Why has everyone involved with Bolton agreed to the sale except current owner anderson? Even one of the potential buyers of Bolton has been bankrupt a couple of times, how was he even in contention to buy the club with a record like that?

Something stinks. I can well understand PL clubs refusing to hand out millions of pounds to these types of owners who just want someone else to bail their shit out.

Something needs to be done and stopping people buying football clubs with money they dont have or, make the club buy itself on their behalf should be near the top of the to do list.

9 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I like Squires, but how is Bolton the heartbeat of its community when it’s located on an out-of-town shopping estate?

Spot on. The real community hub is the Phoenix Club. Hopefully they can do a decent fundraiser. Face paints, bouncy castles and I reckon they can even get Kenny Dalglish to show up. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Spot on. The real community hub is the Phoenix Club. Hopefully they can do a decent fundraiser. Face paints, bouncy castles and I reckon they can even get Kenny Dalglish to show up.